Started by Poster, November 29, 2008, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

M
i

cactuskeeb

Soldering down all the microchips what?

cactuskeeb

I never looked inside the thing, but that sounds about right.  I never had any luck with boomerangs--I went through three of them back in 2003, and finally gave up--they introduced too much static noise into the signal chain when loops were played back.  Of course, that was before I knew anything about Trey's isolation transformer (ISO-1).  Really, without the iso, I don't think Trey would be able to use the rang live w/o static feedback and degradation of the signal path; hence, he wouldn't use it, just as he refused to use more than a couple effects for the first 10 years of phish because he hadn't yet met Bob or Brian. 

strangedesign

Quote from: posternutbag on January 09, 2009, 08:00:54 PM
Bradshaw still will not sell me an ISO-1 please if you can get me one somehow Ill pay whatever
dang! Have you even been able to get him to answer the phone or reply to an email?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

FWIW, I've also emailed on a few occassions & have heard nothing.  I want an ISO-1!!!!!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Quote from: posternutbag on January 20, 2009, 02:26:43 AM
cactuskeed = king of the fall 09 players ball. will order ASAP and give a sound review

You order it yet? 

Good find Cactai, thank you
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

I hear ya there....that's why I was hoping someone would buy one and let me know if it's worth it or not.  If so, I could see spending the benjamin for it, but if not, I don't have that money to blow either. 

Loop 3 Boomerang+

cactuskeeb

No, you've got the placement of the iso's in Trey's rig wrong; well, half wrong at least.  There's an iso placed in line (immediately prior to) the input on the leslie preamplifier (Trek II UC-1A).  You have to realize that the leslie+preamp pedal is essentially the same thing as having your signal split between two amps (in Trey's case, the Fender and the Leslie).  Everyone who has ever used this kind of setup live, that is, having the choice of switching between amplifiers with the simple tap of a foot switch, MUST have some way of transformer isolating one amp from the other.  If you don't do this, you can't play two amps live--the ground loop hum is so bad it can't be ignored by even the thickest-jawed tone Neandertals--you know the type, their youtube rig demos feature sound that is totally eclipsed by a BRUUVVVVVVVZZZZZSSSS they consider part of the electric guitar experience, even though there's 400 comments on how noisy their setup is (you have to check it out, you're not human if you can't find humor in the pure "fail" that some idiots simply cannot prevent themselves traversing "in public," as it were).

--Yes, you're right, you don't have a leslie so you don't need two of these isos.  But Trey also uses one in the loop containing the whammy and boomerang.  Now go stand in the corner of the room you're currently in, facing the wall in silence, and contemplate how wrong Strange is to suggest that the iso functions at the end of his signal chain as a super-duper hum cancellation unit; rather, it gives this impression because Strange's loopmaster effects loop switcher lacks the more sophisticated looping technology built into every CAE 4x4 audio controller.  I do not mean that those simple switchboxes loopmaster makes are bad devices--I have used them in my rig before--but they don't succeed in entirely lifting the looped effects out of the signal path, even when the loops are turned off.