Mark iii purple stripe

Started by TheSeeker, May 12, 2015, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

Hey fellers! So I guy near me is selling a Mark iii purple stripe head for $750. It is simulcass, and has reverb and eq. Should I grab it? What's everyone's thoughts on this matter?
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

seriesnuns

I've had a purple for about a year. I like it! Check with him last time tubes have been changed. When I got mine it was a little off sounding. Changed my tubes and sounds great. You may also want to pull the chassis out and inspect the caps for leakage.

It's pretty versatile for an amp that's almost 30 years old. You would defiantly be able to flip it easily if you don't like it.

TheSeeker

Thanks for the input, but now there is Mark IV combo for sale...$800!!! Not sure what to do...I've never played through any of the marks. With the IV I wouldn't have to buy a cab. Would the head really be worth all the extra cash I'd have to drop?
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Walker done done

Buy that MKIII right now.  Great price as long as nothing major wrong with it.  You won't regret it.  Stay away from the MKIV combo.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Walker done done on May 13, 2015, 11:21:23 AM
Buy that MKIII right now.  Great price as long as nothing major wrong with it.  You won't regret it.  Stay away from the MKIV combo.

This^

You don't want a combo - toooo heavy!

$750 is a great price if there is nothing wrong with it. Even if it needs caps OR tubes the price is good (one or the other, if it needs both, then the price is only okay).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Cool, thanks guys! I was leaning in that direction. It looks like it's in really good shape! Here's the ad if you want to see....

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/4972192539.html

Jkendrick

Not to hijack,  but what are the preferred stripes for the tones folks around here are typically going for? I had a Mark III that I bought new in '89, so I'm assuming it was a green stripe, though I wasn't aware of the striping at the time. I never was able to get that amp dialed in satisfactorily and sold it in '91 or '92.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Wicker grille is an upgrade too, is it just me or does that head look a little shorter?
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on May 13, 2015, 04:17:38 PM
Not to hijack,  but what are the preferred stripes for the tones folks around here are typically going for? I had a Mark III that I bought new in '89, so I'm assuming it was a green stripe, though I wasn't aware of the striping at the time. I never was able to get that amp dialed in satisfactorily and sold it in '91 or '92.

The Mark III Trey has had forever is a Red Stripe. Not sure about the other one. The Green will be a bit more aggressive in the treble - easy mod to bring it back to the tone of a Red Stripe (or Mark IIC+, as it is called the "+ mod" or something). Also, the Green has the EL34's wired in Pentode to give the amp a less midrange-focused, squishy sound, but rather more of a punchy, broader tone. However, it isn't clear if Trey's amp is simulclass or not: he uses 4 6L6 tubes (no EL34's) and has the amp set to half power (only using the outer two of the 6L6's). Its also an easy mod to switch between pentode and triode wiring for the EL34's.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on May 13, 2015, 09:26:13 PM
Wicker grille is an upgrade too, is it just me or does that head look a little shorter?

Yep - love the Mesa wicker.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 14, 2015, 08:05:42 AM
Quote from: Jkendrick on May 13, 2015, 04:17:38 PM

The Mark III Trey has had forever is a Red Stripe. Not sure about the other one. The Green will be a bit more aggressive in the treble - easy mod to bring it back to the tone of a Red Stripe (or Mark IIC+, as it is called the "+ mod" or something). Also, the Green has the EL34's wired in Pentode to give the amp a less midrange-focused, squishy sound, but rather more of a punchy, broader tone. However, it isn't clear if Trey's amp is simulclass or not: he uses 4 6L6 tubes (no EL34's) and has the amp set to half power (only using the outer two of the 6L6's). Its also an easy mod to switch between pentode and triode wiring for the EL34's.
Mine was definitely  simulclass. What you describe sounds exactly like what mine sounded like. I just couldn't dial in a nice smooth, mid-rangey blues tone. I even wrote Trey's settings down on a cocktail napkin once and it still  didn't work. At the time I attributed it to the difference in our guitars (ehich I'm sure did have some effect) because I assumed our amps were identical. 
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

TheSeeker

Just out of curiosity, what's the going rate on the red strip combos and heads? I used to see them pop up all the time but haven't recently. There is a red stripe combo nearby for 1k. Seems a tad too much, but not sure. It looks to be in good shape.

Buffered

Quote from: TheSeeker on May 15, 2015, 07:17:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the going rate on the red strip combos and heads? I used to see them pop up all the time but haven't recently. There is a red stripe combo nearby for 1k. Seems a tad too much, but not sure. It looks to be in good shape.

Really depends on the options and if it has an EVM12L in there. I didn't think the stripes commanded too much of a difference between prices, but I haven't really been following them. FWIW I bought a purple stripe 1x12 w/ EVM12L for $850 five years ago.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

TheSeeker

Quote from: Buffered on May 15, 2015, 12:17:45 PM
Quote from: TheSeeker on May 15, 2015, 07:17:14 AM

Really depends on the options and if it has an EVM12L in there. I didn't think the stripes commanded too much of a difference between prices, but I haven't really been following them. FWIW I bought a purple stripe 1x12 w/ EVM12L for $850 five years ago.

It's a red stripe combo, with an EVM, simulcass, eq, and reverb. Only problem is the 240hz slider isn't working. It's very clean, and he's the second owner. $875+50 to ship. How much of a pain would it be to fix the slider? Also, he's throwing in 3 foot switches and a cover.

Buffered

I'd definitely hit that if I was in the market. It cost me about $40 to ship my EVM12L alone. Does the slider not move, or does it just not register with the amp? Mine did not come with the accessories, which is cool.