Favorite and Least Favorite Covers

Started by gratephulphish123, February 02, 2008, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gratephulphish123

my gtbt tread gave me an idea, what are your guys most despised, and most beloved, covers

i'm gonna have to say

Favorite: Born Under Punches, Sneakin Through The Alley, Ya Mar

Least favorite: Good Times Bad Times, Rock and Roll (i hate this one with a passion, really my absolute least favorite song phish plays), Walk Away

arkjdfgkjdbf

aww man i love rock and roll (soft spot for lou reed stuff).  jesus just left chicago is great too although it went downhill a little bit by the millennium.  i'm blue, i'm lonesome is great too...i don't care what the \"core\" bluegrass guys say.  ya mar goes without saying and.... FRANKENSTEIN?!  oh and boogie on reggae woman and 2001 :wink: .

I don't really care for cities that much (although i'm a talking heads fan).  when the circus comes is alwasy meh for me too.

GO PATS!  WHOOOOOO!!

Walker done done

That's a tough one, I'm gonna have to think about it for a while and get back to you.  Timber Ho, Beauty Of My Dreams, Crosseyed & Painless, Funky Bitch, Rhinoceros, LOVING CUP, Sneakin' Sally, Roses Are Free, Ginseng Sullivan, & My Soul all come to mind, but maybe the nastyest cover the ever did was Peaches.  Yup, that may be the one for me.  

I'd have to say my tops are Peaches, Timber, LC, and of course, Terrapin Station.

My least fav's are somewhere in the vicinity of Quinn The Eskimo (love the song but never thought they covered it all that well, but I still strangely like to hear them play it in concert), LA Woman (esp. from the Miami NYE run in '03 - listen to it, it's fucking HORRIBLE), and the aformentioned GTBT.

Other than that, I pretty much liked everything.  That's one of the coolest things about Phish though - they were one of the sickest bands to cover songs, and the songs they picked were generally pretty bad ass and creative.

This gives me an idea for another thread....
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

lumpy

i absoloutly love it when they play loving cup. ya mar is way up there too.
and 2001
and rock and roll

but everytime i hear them play cities id rather hear the heads playing it phish does it so slow
can you still have fun?

Walker done done

I actually love the way Phish covers Cities - best one IMO was the Great Went
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

arkjdfgkjdbf

Quote from: \"Walker done done\"That's a tough one, I'm gonna have to think about it for a while and get back to you.  Timber Ho, Beauty Of My Dreams, Crosseyed & Painless, Funky Bitch, Rhinoceros, LOVING CUP, Sneakin' Sally, Roses Are Free, Ginseng Sullivan, & My Soul all come to mind, but maybe the nastyest cover the ever did was Peaches.  Yup, that may be the one for me.

Rhinoceros is my favorite Pumpkins song, and I was shocked to recently find out Phish covered it (what great taste!).  I've heard one recording of it, but have they done it a couple of times or something?  If so I'd kill to hear other versions.

Walker done done

Far as I know that's the only time they played it, but it was nearly flawless and killer, I agree.  A great song that, for some reason, surprisingly a lot of folks I know don't know this tune.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

the worst has to be purple rain

I like most of the others
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Erictw83

Favorite covers:  Boogie On Reggae Woman, 2001, and anything bluegrass (Rocky Top, Uncle Pen, Old Homeplace, Beauty of my Dreams)

Least favorite: My Soul