Main Menu

RMC4

Started by MomaDan, April 13, 2012, 09:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

I posted this over at tgp but i like your guys's opinion

I just changed the pickups in my LP to Wolfetone Dr V's last month and it definitley effected the sound of my wah.

Its like the wah is overloading my AC15, even with the trimmer set way down. I love the sounds but right now its feeling like a one-trick pony in my setup. I can only get the great sounds with my TS9 on and the volume backed down on the bridge pickup.

I was willing to ignore all the cons until trying to play Voodoo Chile. Open chords just dont sound good at all. Any suggestions, maybe other wahs that I need to try?

Oh and I have spoken to Teese, he said I could send it back to get the volume resistor changed, but I'm thinking its more than that now.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Heady Jam Fan

Hmm, I have a love/hate thing with wah.

Overloading the amp; is that like pushing an edge of break-up amp into overdrive? I feel like that happens with wah pedals sometimes since it is a specific frequency range, but seemingly overall a similar volume, so I suspect that peak is louder than unity, thus that range might push the tubes to overdrive?

I always feel I get more consistency from a wah when there is a compressor or compression occurring.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Brian27

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on April 13, 2012, 10:59:55 AM
Hmm, I have a love/hate thing with wah.

Overloading the amp; is that like pushing an edge of break-up amp into overdrive? I feel like that happens with wah pedals sometimes since it is a specific frequency range, but seemingly overall a similar volume, so I suspect that peak is louder than unity, thus that range might push the tubes to overdrive?

I always feel I get more consistency from a wah when there is a compressor or compression occurring.

I totally agree with you. I hardly ever use my Wah without my Compressor on. Its a kick ass marriage.

Happyorange27

Wah if you are louder than unity with wah then increase the input resistor.  Also be sure your Q is not too narrow if that's adjustable. I have those pickups so I know both variables well.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

MomaDan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on April 13, 2012, 10:38:37 PM
Wah if you are louder than unity with wah then increase the input resistor.  Also be sure your Q is not too narrow if that's adjustable. I have those pickups so I know both variables well.

It doesnt have any knobs just a volume trimmer. Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on a trade of my wah for the Wilson Rippah Booster Vintage Spec. Its pretty much the opposite of the Picture wah with 4 knobs for tweaking.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

raisingfreen

I have the Wolftone Dr Vs as well, (was actually surprised how good they sounded set closer to the strings than I would have thought). Before you sell/trade any gear that you might actually like, try to experiment a bit.

Wahhhht about adjusting the range a bit to actually lessen the amount of the highest frequency. Even on standard Crybaby's I would usually do this to get rid of the highest part of the frequency if its too much. If its squealing thats not going to be very useful however. See if you can dial it back some. Happy will know what to do on yours.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

MomaDan

I'll make a sound demo tomorrow maybe that will help diagnose the problem. I've always had trouble with wahs in my rig, auto-wah and manual. Maybe its just the amp ???