David Myka Dragonfly Hollowbody build

Started by picture_of_nectar, March 27, 2013, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Sweet!
Which coil do you have wired for coil-tap in each pup?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

um, good question! I dunno, but I can ask David. I just left it up for him to decide what was best on a lot of the specifics...the guy knows his shit.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Its probably the screw slugs. You can test on your own by putting it in the single coil setting and plucking something metal (like an old string) over each slug/coil - whichever slug its over when the plucking sounds louder is the coil thats on.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

I would think so too.  Does anyone ever split to the inside coils?  Not that I've seen.  You would not have as much contrast.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on May 15, 2013, 08:30:57 AM
I would think so too.  Does anyone ever split to the inside coils?  Not that I've seen.  You would not have as much contrast.

There are benefits to various configurations. Some people like the inside coil for coil-tap at least for the bridge pup. I've gone back and forth, actually not certain what I have wired now, lol. Sometimes I think the outside of the bridge is too bright and not thick enough sounding - I've used the inside coil for bridge and outside for neck before. I've also done both inside coils or both outside coils. While I agree with you, its nice to have the contrast of using the two far coils, sometimes a more subtle tonal change feels more controlled.