Optimal feedback strategy

Started by Happyorange27, September 08, 2013, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

So what do you guys think is key to great sustain with minimal volume. An ideal setup allows you to sustain without blasting the amps. I have a 1x12 combo which I find actually works best at a 45 degree angle to my guitar at about 6 feet away. However sustain is even better at lower volumes when I add my PA monitors and mic the amp through that PA.

But some of you guys use 2x12 cabs. You are moving twice the air. I bet that helps a bunch. Trey has at least this in stage but its always to his back. How is he getting all that sustain when the sound is at his back?
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Interesting question; if you moving twice the air, you also much louder, right? So you would just end up turning your amp lower and I suspect having the same amount of sustain/feedback.

I wonder if your PA helps with sustain because it either adds volume and/or is just more effective at making your guitar vibrate by hitting it from multiple angles.

I get plenty of sustain at low volumes - I've been playing quiet enough to not be heard outside of my bedroom, putting two mics on my speaker and listening via headphones without the speaker even directly facing my guitar. I don't get much feedback unless I point my F-Holes (yes - it sounds funny) at the speaker though and probably cant get infinite sustain either unless I do that.

Your rig up till the amp is similar to mine, but Mark series Mesa's were literally built for sustain by using multiple gain stages - it was a request from several musicians before Mesa Boogie was Mesa Boogie (including Santana). Mesa's also must have a really low slew rate because the attack is so fast - I'd think that helps with sustain because the energy gets back to the guitar more quickly and powerfully.

Anyway, not sure if I can help - just my thoughts.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

My Doc responds best when I am facing away from my amp. Facing towards it (like when practicing in my basement). It becomes very hard to find the feedback sweetspot and any decent volume.

Point is, the doc feedsback just fine facing away from the amp, especially with a bit of overdrive...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone