Checking a pedal board inside of a road case on a plane.

Started by fluffhead4020, February 24, 2014, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffhead4020

Has anyone done this before? If so, did you run into any difficulties?

Buffered

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on February 24, 2014, 06:40:58 PM

I've only done carry on, but as long as it's in a road case and you pack the inside securely so the pedals don't have room to move you should be fine. Does the road case have TSA locks? They may want to get in it.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on February 24, 2014, 06:40:58 PM

Checking it will far and away be easier than bringing it on.  What I recommend doing is trying to find out the TSA's guidelines on it, and seeing what you can do.  If you feel too worried about it, I'd just UPS/USPS it over, and let that handle it. 

As Heady said, I'd totally make sure you stuff the empty space with newspaper, styrofoam, something like it, and make sure that it's all locked.

With that being said, last summer I brought a giant multi-fx pedal on a plane as a carry-on last June and no one cared at all.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

express50express

I used to work in IT before 9/11. Back then I used to bring on full size Servers, along with every tool imaginable, and store them in the overhead compartments. It was sight to see me bring large Servers through the x-ray machine and then roll them onto the plane. Before 9/11, nobody in TSA ever blinked an eye. Things are more relaxed again, if it passes through the machine, you should be able to bring it on.