Practicing with a metronome

Started by Jkendrick, March 19, 2014, 05:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

I haven't been playing much with other folks for a while. And I haven't been "practicing" in the traditional sense either. I've more been learning songs and playing alone on my acoustic. As a result, I'm realizing my timing has gone to shit. I want to start practicing with a metronome again but want a routine that will maximize my limited time. Anyone have a good routine?  I'm looking for actual things to play, not just eliminate the clicks on the 2 & 4 type things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Hoody

Do you have a looper?  I always find those are a really simple and easy way to work on your timing and playing w/ a beat.  I always think its great to play with a drummer if you can find one.  Sometimes I think playing alone can just get dull, or cause you to lose your ability to mesh all the noise/sounds/elements of having multiple people. 

But at the same time, I always wish i had a lot more time to sit down for a few hours and just work on complicated pieces or to write more interesting music.  I think you really need both to get good.

Heady Jam Fan

Yeah, looper is a good idea.

Pump some tunes on your stereo and play along.

Write a song and record the rhythm parts, play along with it!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Also:  James Brown.  Play lots of James Brown
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Hans Moleman

Can't recommend using a metronome enough. Especially when improvising, if your time is bad, nothing else matters. Playing on the grid is the absolute most important thing.

Loopers are a great tool, provided you use a metronome or tap tempo function. No matter how good a musician you are, if you're not using a metronome of some sort to loop, you will end up looping changes in slightly not-perfect time to practice with and therefore reinforcing bad habits.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Stecks on March 21, 2014, 02:10:36 AM
Also:  James Brown.  Play lots of James Brown

^ play what he sings ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Funky vamping is like melodic cowbell.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation