Picking up some new gear

Started by fulltone1989, May 20, 2011, 12:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey errybody, I just finished my junior year at school and I've snagged a full-time job, so I'll have some cash. I don't think i'm going to make it to SBIX so the next suitable money hole is...... guitar effect pedals. I've got a RMC3, Ross, Whammy II, Flashback, Pitchblack, and a 'Rang +. I wanna be able to use all of these, so I was thinking of getting a PT-2 or something big like that.

This is a sweet site for organizing your board btw -> http://pedalboardplanner.com/

I want to pick up a few effects, and a good power supply that can handle both AC and DC currents. I was thinking this for a gear itinerary:
Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe
Little Alligator Volume pedal or a Ernie ball volume
H&K Tube Factor
Cioks AC10 power supply (check this beast out) http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=57
Loop-master loop switcher
I'm probably going to end up making my own board with neutrik locking jacks and whatnot to save some bread. Lemme know of your thoughts though!

-Tom
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Yo,

What are you using for an overdrive, or do you use your amp for that?  If I were you I would be acquiring a true bypass looper for the whammy and Rang post haste.  In terms of power, the big gun on the market it would seem is the voodoo labs pedal power series, but I use a BBE supa charger.  I think it's great and you can get them for less money.  Speaking of BBE, they have a really nice vibe pedal called the "Soul Vibe" that you might think about checking out as a viable alternative to the micro vibe.  Jimmy Herring uses one of those tube factors, and well, he has fucking retarded tone.  I've always wanted to try one.

The one thing the pedal trains have going for them is that they come with the bracket to put your power supply underneath and you can keep all your cabling off your board.  I love my pedaltrain jr. and I loved its predecessor in my rig, my pedaltrain pro.  (Obviously, I've downsized quite a bit)  You can get a lot of cool things done, mods, etc. to the pedaltrain to, such as the neutrik jacks for in and out, I would definitely say that they are worth it.

Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on May 20, 2011, 12:53:23 PM
Yo,

What are you using for an overdrive, or do you use your amp for that?  If I were you I would be acquiring a true bypass looper for the whammy and Rang post haste.  In terms of power, the big gun on the market it would seem is the voodoo labs pedal power series, but I use a BBE supa charger.  I think it's great and you can get them for less money.  Speaking of BBE, they have a really nice vibe pedal called the "Soul Vibe" that you might think about checking out as a viable alternative to the micro vibe.  Jimmy Herring uses one of those tube factors, and well, he has fucking retarded tone.  I've always wanted to try one.

The one thing the pedal trains have going for them is that they come with the bracket to put your power supply underneath and you can keep all your cabling off your board.  I love my pedaltrain jr. and I loved its predecessor in my rig, my pedaltrain pro.  (Obviously, I've downsized quite a bit)  You can get a lot of cool things done, mods, etc. to the pedaltrain to, such as the neutrik jacks for in and out, I would definitely say that they are worth it.

Cheers.

Thanks for your input! I will definitely be checking out the BBE Soul Vibe as an alternative to the Micro Vibe. I am using my amp's dirt, and although it's great it goes from clean to all-out rage mode in no time, so I'd be using the tube factor to cover the middle ground. Jimmy Herring's tone is amazing, but it's all in the fingers? Maybe the multiple Fuchs ODS' he's got?

Anyways, I was planning on getting a 4 loop switcher, dedicate one to the funk siren, and split up the rest to pedals far from my side of the board so I don't have to do too much tap dancing.

As far as power goes, I was looking at the PP2 series, but they only have one AC adapter on the backside, and I need 3 (Rang, Whammy II, and the TF all use AC power) Maybe an isolated splitter will work and since they'd all be in loops the noise won't be a problem?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

ColForbin

QuoteAs far as power goes, I was looking at the PP2 series, but they only have one AC adapter on the backside, and I need 3 (Rang, Whammy II, and the TF all use AC power) Maybe an isolated splitter will work and since they'd all be in loops the noise won't be a problem?

I hear ya.  When I was rocking my mutron, whammy and rang, I velcro'ed a power bar to the bottom of my board, and plugged the power supply, and the three adapters that came with the other three into it as well.  That way I only had one plug coming out of my board to hook up.

Jimmy Herring?  Fingers?  Fuck that, it's all in the beard.  He has been known to rock a two rock (pun intended) at some shows as well.  Cheers man.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

IamWILSON

Quote from: ColForbin on May 20, 2011, 05:56:05 PM
QuoteAs far as power goes, I was looking at the PP2 series, but they only have one AC adapter on the backside, and I need 3 (Rang, Whammy II, and the TF all use AC power) Maybe an isolated splitter will work and since they'd all be in loops the noise won't be a problem?

I hear ya.  When I was rocking my mutron, whammy and rang, I velcro'ed a power bar to the bottom of my board, and plugged the power supply, and the three adapters that came with the other three into it as well.  That way I only had one plug coming out of my board to hook up.

Jimmy Herring?  Fingers?  Fuck that, it's all in the beard.  He has been known to rock a two rock (pun intended) at some shows as well.  Cheers man.
I ended up biting the bullet and getting the PP2+ preinstalled to a pedaltrain on Ebay for cheaper than buying them both from guitar center (uninstalled), and a used PedalPower AC on Ebay for about $100.  It will run up to 4 AC pedals (I use it for the Boomerang, Whammy II and H&K Rotosphere), and I like knowing that the next time I purchase an AC effect I am covered for power already.  BTW, it totally solved all my hum and extraneous buzz I was getting!  Its worth the money, especially if your gonna load all the stuff on a board and make setup/breakdown a piece of cake.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on May 20, 2011, 05:56:05 PM

Very good to know! I think I may go that route. Jimmy's amp setup and his equipment page on his .net is mind-boggling. Such an incredible player. Have you checked out the At the Roxy '93? Jimmy sits in with the band for Funky Bitch, My Sweet One, and Llama. Crazy.

[/quote]I ended up biting the bullet and getting the PP2+ preinstalled to a pedaltrain on Ebay for cheaper than buying them both from guitar center (uninstalled), and a used PedalPower AC on Ebay for about $100.  It will run up to 4 AC pedals (I use it for the Boomerang, Whammy II and H&K Rotosphere), and I like knowing that the next time I purchase an AC effect I am covered for power already.  BTW, it totally solved all my hum and extraneous buzz I was getting!  Its worth the money, especially if your gonna load all the stuff on a board and make setup/breakdown a piece of cake.
[/quote]

Do they often have the Pedaltrain/PP2+ combo's on the bay? There's this fella on HCF that does Pedaltrain mods but I have yet to hit him up for anything. Combo deal or DIY/PP2 seems to be the best idea as of now. Thanks for the input and advice!

IamWILSON

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PEDALTRAIN-PT-2-SC-w-VOODOO-LAB-PEDAL-POWER-II-/130521674069?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e63b2b155#ht_4092wt_1551

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PEDALTRAIN-PT-2-SC-w-VOODOO-LAB-PEDAL-POWER-II-/400216682610?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d2ec5f072#ht_4092wt_1551

Take a look at either of those.  Its the same seller I got mine from, but he used to have a bunch more listed.  Just bid $250 and its likely nobody else will bid it up.  If so just wait it out for another one.  He shipped it all in the box for the pedaltrain and it just contained all the pp2+ stuff in its original box, with the power unit installed into the board.  I thought it was too good to be true, and it even got delivered to me in like 3 days!  No tax or shipping cost either.   And actually I looked into it and only paid $87 for the pedal power AC used.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on May 20, 2011, 11:04:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PEDALTRAIN-PT-2-SC-w-VOODOO-LAB-PEDAL-POWER-II-/130521674069?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e63b2b155#ht_4092wt_1551

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PEDALTRAIN-PT-2-SC-w-VOODOO-LAB-PEDAL-POWER-II-/400216682610?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d2ec5f072#ht_4092wt_1551

Take a look at either of those.  Its the same seller I got mine from, but he used to have a bunch more listed.  Just bid $250 and its likely nobody else will bid it up.  If so just wait it out for another one.  He shipped it all in the box for the pedaltrain and it just contained all the pp2+ stuff in its original box, with the power unit installed into the board.  I thought it was too good to be true, and it even got delivered to me in like 3 days!  No tax or shipping cost either.   And actually I looked into it and only paid $87 for the pedal power AC used.

Woah! Those seem like definite deals, I'll be sure to check out that seller once it's time to wire everything up. While on that subject, I e-mailed AO and asked him if he'd be willing to sell me some cables and at least solder up some cables to some neutrik jacks I've got lying around to getting everything sounding clean and crispy.