Trey's signal path/use of TS9's

Started by fulltone1989, June 12, 2012, 09:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everybody,

I'm going to be swapping around my rig a bit and I am looking to see what Trey does for some inspiration, in particular to where his vibe is. I've heard two conflicting reports about whether vibe-> dirt or vice versa is better. I've tried both and although theres positives and negatives to both, I can't really decide on which is better to my ears.

Also, I'm interested in how Trey sets his OD pedals, is it low gainer -> high gainer? I have a Timmy, Zendrive clone and an FDII and I want to see if I can replicate that tone.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

I would be interested in his vibe placement as well. I tend to slightly prefer it before my overdrive. His is in his rack, but I don't know if that would help discern where it is in his chain. I never really looked into it.

There is a lot of debate as to which TS went first in Trey's rig - cleaner or dirtier. I personally can't get a great sound when they are stacked if the dirtied one is first, it sounds muffled and muddy, which I often find when stacking other pedals as well.

I don't know much about the FDII - IIRC it is based off the SD1, so TS-like with asymmetrical clipping and more bass? And the other side of it is just a boost? It would be my inclination to figure out how you want to set this pedal in relation to getting a jam tone before deciding on the others; if you want it lower-gain for clean and low-gain stuff, then I would put it earlier in the chain and you have 2 channels to 'goose' pedals after it. If you want it dirtier (a la Trey's dirty TS9), I would put it second, then I guess the boost would give you more clean volume (unless it is just hitting a compressor).

If the FDII is too midrangy for chords for you (I know some people prefer more tonally open dirt pedals for that), the Timmy might be a good option. I used to put my Timmy between my 2 TS Silvers; the louder cleaner one was as great boost going into it for a bluesy tone. So in relation to the FDII, deciding where you want to put it depends on how dirty you run the two pedals IMO. Note: I really like setting the Timmy with more midrange; turn the bass off (clockwise) and the treble almost off (3 o'clock), then increase the gain quite a bit (maybe all the way) and play with the toggle (I think I liked the asymmetrical or compressed setting). I found it to me smoother and more D-Style-like. Worth a try...

I never owned a Zen, but I had an Alpha Drive. I found it hard to play chords on since it was very thick, rich and midrangy. I modded  it for more treble and found I could increase the gain if I wanted without getting muddy. It might have some similar application to the Zen... Mostly I liked the Alpha for low-gain, midrangy melody or lead work.

My initial thought would be to put the Zen last, keep the FDII fairly clean and use that first in the chain. I would just find the sweet spot(s) on each pedal and try 2 at a time in different orders to see how they interact the best. This probably wasn't that helpful and maybe obvious, but its the best I've got ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ColForbin

We have the signal path diagram on this site, or at least, as it was in 2004-2006, I think...

http://www.strangedesign.org/rigs/Treysigpath2004.pdf

This is from Brian Brown and would suggest that it is after the drives.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on June 12, 2012, 10:19:25 AM
We have the signal path diagram on this site, or at least, as it was in 2004-2006, I think...

Saw that one but from what I can remember there are a few diagrams floating around of signal path. I think his WH-II is closer to the guitar for example...
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Nice i was about to post this as well.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on June 12, 2012, 02:41:48 PM

Nice i was about to post this as well.

Needs to be at least three times that size, what is that, like a center for ants.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

I used to have a bigger copy.  I'm searching all over.  It came from Bob Bradshaw's website but i can't see the link anymore.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Poster

you guys really cant get your heads around the fact that that rig was built for him, for larger venues, to be used in conjunction with a massive pa system. What your hearing on the tapes has almost no real correlation to enacting that equipment on the small scale with no real pa system. Or more importantly, a venue large enough to actually get that equipment to function in a similar fashion.

feel free to keep buying lots of shit for the wrong reasons, its the american dream! fucking people. "why does the reverb sound so big? why does the vibe seem so dreamy and wide?" lol cmon girls lets go to gymnasium and see if its louder to scream inside or outside!

the momo bus is right around the corner, waiting with credit card processing on board.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Poster on June 12, 2012, 03:13:34 PM
you guys really cant get your heads around the fact that that rig was built for him, for larger venues, to be used in conjunction with a massive pa system. What your hearing on the tapes has almost no real correlation to enacting that equipment on the small scale with no real pa system. Or more importantly, a venue large enough to actually get that equipment to function in a similar fashion.

feel free to keep buying lots of shit for the wrong reasons, its the american dream! fucking people. "why does the reverb sound so big? why does the vibe seem so dreamy and wide?" lol cmon girls lets go to gymnasium and see if its louder to scream inside or outside!

the momo bus is right around the corner, waiting with credit card processing on board.

I sound better than Trey

Poster

when? where? your tone shifts like that fat on some homeless ladies ass. depending on what the situation is, I dont doubt you could perceive your tone as being somehow superior, but the people standing 10 feet that way probably think it sounded great!

anybody who is educated in music to some degree and progresses in rehearsal can play. I bet your rig, as it is, wouldnt be tour grade, not by a long shot. That shit would just break.

Happyorange27

Poster how did you karma go to negative 1002?

Poster

didnt you know already eric? they were posting my personal address and hacking my karma long ago! its why i deleted almost all of my 1000 plus posts. Its a smaller bag of dicks around, but a bag of dicks nonetheless.

Iam here at the request of Cactus.

I uppd a picture of the 3 inch thick koa hollowbody just to give the cunts something to choke on. Doesnt look anything like an AO does it you fucks? Same with my remaining hand wired carr 6v head.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on June 12, 2012, 03:20:09 PM
Poster how did you karma go to negative 1002?

Was it Walker who reset it to negative 1000 a few weeks ago?

Quote from: Poster on June 12, 2012, 03:18:19 PM
when? where? your tone shifts like that fat on some homeless ladies ass. depending on what the situation is, I dont doubt you could perceive your tone as being somehow superior, but the people standing 10 feet that way probably think it sounded great!

anybody who is educated in music to some degree and progresses in rehearsal can play. I bet your rig, as it is, wouldnt be tour grade, not by a long shot. That shit would just break.

Lol, most homeless peeps are skinny, unless they're eating crab outta the drumpster:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/xWXjkvc--EM

I agree with you to a degree Poster - I mean, if you look at the sound guy's setup, even beyond what Trey brings, there are just racks and racks of gear. Sure. But before Phish got huge, I am sure Trey was getting great tone with a setup not far from what people here are working with. No point in saying bettering your tone is futile, its not. And while touring can put a lot of stress on gear, I think a couple TS's and my Mesa wouldn't break down as soon as I mention we're hitting the road.

Happyorange27

Sweet! I'm glad you guys are back for now.

Now be nice to Heady, he's a cool cat and I told him you are a swell guy the other day.