Adams picks, still using them?

Started by Buffered, June 13, 2014, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all, still using your Adamas picks? Lately, I can't stand them - feels like my shoulder is cramping when I use them.. I switched to a 1.14 gator grip and I like it much better.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on June 13, 2014, 09:48:59 AM
Hey all, still using your Adamas picks? Lately, I can't stand them - feels like my shoulder is cramping when I use them.. I switched to a 1.14 gator grip and I like it much better.

Shoulder cramping? Huh.

Yeah, I'm still using Adamas, but I might be looking for something different for acoustic - they are a bit noisy. I tried going back to my really thick (3mm?) Gravity pick, but I'm not digging that at all right now - I used to love that pick.

I use a Dunlop Primetone sometimes, mostly when playing Jazz or Jazz Fusion tunes.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 13, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Shoulder cramping? Huh.

Yeah, I'm still using Adamas, but I might be looking for something different for acoustic - they are a bit noisy. I tried going back to my really thick (3mm?) Gravity pick, but I'm not digging that at all right now - I used to love that pick.

I use a Dunlop Primetone sometimes, mostly when playing Jazz or Jazz Fusion tunes.

Yeah its really weird, hard to explain. Could be a technique thing, but it doesn't happen when I use other picks.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Eh, your shoulder is connected all the way down to the pick - I can image how that could happen, but it is probably a technique thing - I know my technique could improve a lot. I hate flimsy picks though...
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Yeah, It's consciously thinking about keeping the shoulder relaxed is just interfering with playing as of late, bummer too as I like these picks! The Gators are really as flimsy as a fender 1.14.

Happyorange27

I'm getting disability checks for throwing out my shoulder with Adams picks.  Those bitches put more people down than UPS drivers throwing out their backs, dontchaknow!  Now ADAMAS picks are a whole different story.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

TheSeeker

I still have a whole bag of Adamas.  I've been using pickboy jazz picks, and I really like them.  They're small, and I find that I don't trip over strings like I used to.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on June 13, 2014, 01:01:05 PM
I'm getting disability checks for throwing out my shoulder with Adams picks.  Those bitches put more people down than UPS drivers throwing out their backs, dontchaknow!  Now ADAMAS picks are a whole different story.

Ain't that the truth Happy!  That Adams company has fraudulently been stealing Adamas business in the pick industry and also making doctors and insurance companies rich ever since throwing their hat into the ring that is the guitar plectrum industry.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Buffered

Hehe my bad!

Happyorange27

Quote from: IamWILSON on June 13, 2014, 08:23:33 PM

Ain't that the truth Happy!  That Adams company has fraudulently been stealing Adamas business in the pick industry and also making doctors and insurance companies rich ever since throwing their hat into the ring that is the guitar plectrum industry.
Love!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

cactuskeeb

It took me years to get used to them but I love them and can't get the same range of nuance from anything else. Light attack seems to work best especially for chords. Also I tend to copy Trey's grip style and distill Jerry's advice into this: your index finger must do all the work.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on June 14, 2014, 09:44:39 PM
It took me years to get used to them but I love them and can't get the same range of nuance from anything else. Light attack seems to work best especially for chords. Also I tend to copy Trey's grip style and distill Jerry's advice into this: your index finger must do all the work.

As opposed to your middle?

IamWILSON

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 14, 2014, 10:39:38 PM

As opposed to your middle?

Of course Jerry had to let the index finger do all the work, Jer could only flip the bird with his left hand.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Buffered

Not sure I'm following, I hold the pick between my thumb and index and the thumb does all the work for downstrokes.

Buffered

FWIW I've been working with the AdamAs and my technique and the results are favorable/progress but I've found and purchased these pickboy graphite hybrids that are 1.0m that are pretty good too. They have pot leaves on them also.