Check out my new axe!

Started by Helping Friendly, September 07, 2015, 06:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

As some of you might have read in my "it's good to be back" thread I mentioned I was waiting to bring home a new guitar. So here it is. It's a pederson j2 and I love it! It reminds me of the koa doc trey played in the late 90's but more sleek. It's like a little brother. Lol
I have to say, I've been wanting a pederson for some time now because I really dig that he does his own thing but still keeps that archtop concept that we all love. An equator is a great guitar and I got a chance to noodle with one for a few minutes. Daren from the lawn boys let me try his before their show and since then I've been gunning hard for a real archtop. As I thought more about it I realized I wanted something similar, but also wanted something a little different. The pederson seamed like a great choice because the j2 is simular to a "doc" replica but the measurements are different which gives it a unique looking vibe. Very aerodynamic. I lucked out when I saw one on reverb and then found out the person that was selling it is someone I've jamed with and lives 2 towns over from me!  :o I knew this was my chance, so I grabbed it. I just love how comfortable and light it is. It's even smaller than an equator mini so it's light as a jo feather. Im a smaller dude so this feels and looks right with me. This one is all koa with his adjustable bone bridge which is super dope. It sounds fantastic and I am in archtop heaven right now.

All I need now is for Poster to tell me it sux and I'm good to go. Lol. Jk

What u guys think?

Down_With_Sco

Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

Damn dude!  That thing is awesome looking, would love to see a video.

Helping Friendly

I will definitely post a review video soon. I just want to do a couple mods to it first. Im gona change the volume pot to a 1 meg, and the tone to a "no load" pot. I did this with my semi hollow and I feel it really helps with the boominess of a hollow guitar. Another thing I do to all my guitars is swap the a5 magnet in the neck for an a4. I really like what that does for a 59 neck. It also cuts the boom, as well as gives it a more vintage butteryness with better note separation. As far as archtop guitars go, all this is a must for me. I think it sounds the best that way imo. But what's good for one, might not be good for another. I try to bring out as much clarity as possible.. stay tuned..

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Helping Friendly on September 09, 2015, 07:56:45 AM
I will definitely post a review video soon. I just want to do a couple mods to it first. Im gona change the volume pot to a 1 meg, and the tone to a "no load" pot. I did this with my semi hollow and I feel it really helps with the boominess of a hollow guitar. Another thing I do to all my guitars is swap the a5 magnet in the neck for an a4. I really like what that does for a 59 neck. It also cuts the boom, as well as gives it a more vintage butteryness with better note separation. As far as archtop guitars go, all this is a must for me. I think it sounds the best that way imo. But what's good for one, might not be good for another. I try to bring out as much clarity as possible.. stay tuned..
Can you explain what changing those magnets does and why one would do it?  I know next to nothing about modding pickups and would love to learn a little.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Helping Friendly

Quote from: No Nice Guy link=topic=2494.msg16046#msg16046

/quote]
Can you explain what changing those magnets does and why one would do it?  I know next to nothing about modding pickups and would love to learn a little.
There is so much that I can say about each magnet. But in short the best reason one would swap magnets is to fine tune the tone of the pickups and guitar.  Each magnet has a different output, so let's say your guitar sounds muddy or boomy. More volume and output can equal more warmth which could lead to mud. So, if you use a higher output magnet like an A5, like whats in a 59, you could try a lower output like an A3 (which is the lowest).That will definitely clear things up for a more vintage chime.
As well as each magnet having different outputs, they all have different EQ curves as well. A5 boosts lows as well as highs while slightly cutting mids. All that can be good in some guitars, but imo sound like shit in some as well. Like I said it's a great way to fine tune. I have tried every magnet type and "believe" the hype. They all do change the tone a significant amount. If you want to learn about all the magnet types and how they sound in certain pups, do some searchs on the Seymore Duncan forum. That's where I learned everything before trying it all for my self. Those dudes know their magnets and pups for sure!

Also don't under estimate the power of pot values. They also play a hudge part in tone imo.

Hoody

I like the Pederson.  I think that looks cool, and pretty unique.  Certainly similar to a Doc, but a bit more rock and roll and less jazzy.  How resonant is it?  I'd imagine w/ that sleaker body type its a bit less feed-back prone and probably less woody sounding. 

I need a new axe myself.  Albeit of the acoustic variety.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I've never played acoustic in my life and never really owned one.  Want something that feels like an electric neck.  I hear Taylor is the way to go for that.  Want something that plays fast, smooth, low action, and not too dull.  Anyone have anything they really like?