True bypass whammy

Started by beebs, July 08, 2010, 01:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beebs

Why aren't more people doing a true bypass mod for the noisey whammy? From what I understand the signal is converted from analogue to digital to analogue even when the effect is turned off, and that is where the tone sucking occurs?

Check this out, there is even an extra switch you can put on for 50/50 dry/wet mix: http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/Whammy.html
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

Poster

alot of people do that to the red ones, but we all use the wh2. just use a bypass looper with a buffer and youll be good.

sour d

Poster is right. That is the easiest way to do it with the wh2. But if you are using the wh4 you have to check out molten voltage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BLScrj9lw&annotation_id=annotation_45447&feature=iv
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

beebs

Is there a big difference between the wh2 and 4 other than the selection process (e.g. tone, tracking...)? I don't have a whammy, but am looking to get one some day.

ShockedAndPersuaded

The tone of the wh2 is by far sweeter than the wh4.  Although it is a digital pedal it sounds less digital than the wh4.  The price is higher, but it is worth the extra cash.  I have both and the wh4 sits in the closet.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

sour d

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on July 08, 2010, 10:27:43 PM
The tone of the wh2 is by far sweeter than the wh4.  Although it is a digital pedal it sounds less digital than the wh4.  The price is higher, but it is worth the extra cash.  I have both and the wh4 sits in the closet.
That is the truth. The wh4 sounds thin and the treadle travel is shorter and feels fucked up. Put them all side by side and you can tell that the wh1 is king but the whammy2 sounds real close and you can change settings without bending over. The xp100's can be had for cheaper than a new wh4 and those have a shit ton of settings. Volume pedal, shitty wah settings and more harmony settings.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on July 08, 2010, 03:40:56 PM
Poster is right. That is the easiest way to do it with the wh2. But if you are using the wh4 you have to check out molten voltage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BLScrj9lw&annotation_id=annotation_45447&feature=iv

Whoa, that Molten Voltage is sweet!!  Never seen it before, thanks for posting.

As far as the wh2 vs. wh4, there is no comparison.  Don't buy the wh4, it's a waste. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

beebs

Quote from: sour d on July 08, 2010, 10:36:56 PM
That is the truth. The wh4 sounds thin and the treadle travel is shorter and feels fucked up. Put them all side by side and you can tell that the wh1 is king but the whammy2 sounds real close and you can change settings without bending over. The xp100's can be had for cheaper than a new wh4 and those have a shit ton of settings. Volume pedal, shitty wah settings and more harmony settings.

Is the xp100 comparable to the wh2? What about the rp3?

sour d

Quote from: beebs on July 09, 2010, 09:29:32 PM
Is the xp100 comparable to the wh2? What about the rp3?
The wh2 is a much better sounding pedal but if you were going to buy a wh4 I would say save some money and get an xp100. It's the same pedal John Scofield uses for a whammy. The rp3's have a shit ton of effects that are tweakable to your liking and can be had for $60 all day on ebay. I would say the whammy quality is about the same as the xp100 then you get up to 3 seconds of delay among many other effects. RP3's are not pedalboard friendly but would be good for someone that wants to gig light or for home use. Hope this helps. I buy and sell pedals on ebay and craigslist all the time so I've had a chance to buy all different versions of of any type of pedal then line them up and see which ones are better than others. It's fun to throw down 8 different types of tube screamers and do blind tests with a couple people. Sometimes it's suprising which pedal someone will pick over all the others.

beebs

I may have to check out the rp3. It looks like there are a couple on the used gear section of gc for about 50 bucks each. Have you tried the boss ps-5? I'm looking for something that would let me make a funk siren/whammy dive loop (since I only play at home). And one last thing, when you add a true bypass, do you run your whammy after the comp? I think that Trey has his in a loop after his comp, but I don't really know for sure. Some of the schematics floating around have the whammy up front. Thanks.

beebs

Also, for the xp100, I found a guy out there that will mod the xp100 to be able to switch between all xp models (100, 200, 300 and 400). He calls it the xp1000. The xp300 space station seems pretty crazy if you're looking for some weird/trippy synth sounds.

picture_of_nectar

I saw an Analogman modded true bypass Whammy2 on eBay once. It sold for ~$250
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

Quote from: beebs on July 10, 2010, 02:19:52 PM
do you run your whammy after the comp? I think that Trey has his in a loop after his comp, but I don't really know for sure. Some of the schematics floating around have the whammy up front. Thanks.
My whammy is in a loop after  the comp

Quote from: beebs on July 10, 2010, 03:01:27 PM
Also, for the xp100, I found a guy out there that will mod the xp100 to be able to switch between all xp models (100, 200, 300 and 400). He calls it the xp1000. The xp300 space station seems pretty crazy if you're looking for some weird/trippy synth sounds.
Those xp1000's are cool. they go for like $350-400 modded. The only downside is you have to unplug the powersupply when you switch modes. I use a digitech ex-7 for the space station. Space stations are really fuckin cool.

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 11, 2010, 12:33:46 AM
I saw an Analogman modded true bypass Whammy2 on eBay once. It sold for ~$250
It can be done but not as easy to do as the other models because of the cheesy board mounted switches. Easier to just put it in a loop

beebs

I'm going to have to look closer at the ex-7. I may be deciding between it and an rp3. The whammy on the ex-7 sounds good, and then the space station is really awesome. Do you have the foot switch to switch between modes? I wish I had know about these crazy digitech pedals earlier on because they really let you do a lot of stuff that is way out there.

sour d

Quote from: beebs on July 11, 2010, 02:55:20 PM
I'm going to have to look closer at the ex-7. I may be deciding between it and an rp3. The whammy on the ex-7 sounds good, and then the space station is really awesome. Do you have the foot switch to switch between modes? I wish I had know about these crazy digitech pedals earlier on because they really let you do a lot of stuff that is way out there.
The whammy on the ex-7 is limited. Not many settings and the treadle has a short throw that's hard to get used to. I really like the leslie, univibe and space station settings though. Try it before you buy it.