Speakers in Deluxe Reverb

Started by fluffhead4020, August 01, 2013, 01:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffhead4020

Anyone know what speakers Trey was using in his Deluxe Reverb?

-thanks

TheSeeker

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on August 01, 2013, 01:49:31 AM
Anyone know what speakers Trey was using in his Deluxe Reverb?

-thanks

I'm pretty sure he uses V30's in his cabs.  When I was speaker hunting for my Fender HRD, I asked the guy at Weber Speakers his opinion on what speaker to use to help with that Trey tone.  He said "The same ones he's been using for years...the Blue Dogs"  So I'm assuming he meant that he uses them in his Deluxe Reverb since Trey doesn't use a HRD.  I wish I had better facts for you, but that's the best I got.  I did end up buying a Weber Blue Dog, and it kicks ass!!  It really did get me alot closer to matching his tone by switching to that speaker.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

I think it was the Blue Dog, Heady is the man for that type of question though.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Deadicated Phan

Trey used Celestion Alnico Blues with the Deluxe, irc.
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

fluffhead4020

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm currently speaker hunting for my HRD 410. I've been looking at Weber speaker's a lot recently. Yeah the Blue Dog seems really badass. I use 10'' though, so I was looking at the Blue pup, but the description makes it sound like a completely different speaker: "Bright, chimey, later/smooth breakup, aggressive, articulate." Where the blue dog is: big low end, more headroom, doesn't get harsh at loud volumes. --I figured these speakers would be equal except for 12'' and 10'' respectively.

Havn't heard of Celestion before but their 10'' G10N-40 looks very promising. I might grab two of those. http://celestion.com/product/32/g10n40/

-thanks for the help guys

cactuskeeb

There has been a lot of speculation on this.  The "official" word from Brian Brown is that he used a Celestion Blue (25 watts).  Bill Carruth says he had the Oxford or Utah (25 watts and 50 watts respectively) re-coned for Trey when he originally modded his amp -- Trey corroborated this in an interview when he said the speaker was original.  More recently we have heard from Weber speakers that at some point he had a 50 watt Blue Dog installed (w/ light doping).  In my experience the lower the wattage of the speaker the better the character of the amp; although, the bass response from a 50 watt Weber is great.