What is the best tube amp for under $400

Started by Happyorange27, September 15, 2010, 07:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

I want to get a quality tube amp on a budget.  Please point me in the right direction.  I'm pretty much looking at Fender tube amps on ebay or craigslist. 

Please yay or nay the Hot Rod series, Blues, Deluxe Reverb (hard to find), Champ, etc. 

Should I avoid reissues?
Should I save up for a higher dollar amp because I'm limiting myself with $400?

I don't need big watts, I just want quality tone.  Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

patrickstefanski

check out guitar center "used gear"
you can do a custom search within the used stuff, and they always have a revolving inventory.

i currently play a fender deluxe reverb reissue, and have zero plans to play anything else...ever

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Happyorange27

Wow I would not have thought of this avenue.  Thanks for your feedback.  Glad you have an amp you love.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

jadirusso

Yeah I play a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue as well and while I know the reissue's have a bad rap mine's working out pretty good for me. You may want to do some mods on it at some point tho if you do decide to get a DRRI. The DR's will likely cost you more than $400 tho.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

patrickstefanski

Quote from: jadirusso on September 15, 2010, 08:53:52 AM
Yeah I play a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue as well and while I know the reissue's have a bad rap mine's working out pretty good for me. You may want to do some mods on it at some point tho if you do decide to get a DRRI. The DR's will likely cost you more than $400 tho.

what kind of mods? I've lately been thinking about putting a little money into my amp.
I know there is the big 'alcino" vs. celestion debate with trey's speaker.
also i think he replaces the lead tube with a whole different one.

what else have you done to yours?
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

ColForbin

Happy Orange - If you are looking to only spend about $400, I am a fan of those Fender Pro Jr's, it only has 1 - 10" speaker but in terms of bang for your buck, it's pretty sweet.  You could also plug it into an 8 ohm speaker cabinet.  But they are quite rugged and if $400 is your budget it's pretty hard to beat, especially if you are playing mostly at home.  I also play a Fender 65 DRRI and am a pretty big fan of it.  I also have an 8 ohm Hard Truckers cab that I can plug into that amp, which makes it sound quite deadly.

In terms of mods, I had a little work done on the circuit board to convert the reverb circuit so it works with both channels.  It's a pretty easy mod to do, but as you guys know, the stock DRRI only has the vibrato and reverb on the second channel and not the first.  I have also changed out the tubes, and I think it sounds deadly.  If I were changing out the speaker, I would be very tempted to get a 12" tone tubby, the same as I have in my HT cab.  They just sound so incredible.  But I can't see me spending anymore money until I acquire my guitar from AO, it's all designed, just got to save up for the deposit funds.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

jadirusso

Patrick.. I haven't really mod'd mine yet. I have thought about some stuff that I'd like to do tho. For a while I was getting that high end fizz so I was frantically looking for mod's to get rid of it but that seems to have mellowed quite drastically with more and more usage and I'm much happier with the sound I'm getting now so I'm not in a huge rush to mod.
Poster suggested a push/pull mid boost mod which I would love to get done and I definitely intend to try some different preamp tubes very soon. I'd also like to try some of the different speakers that people have suggested.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

patrickstefanski

Quote from: ColForbin on September 15, 2010, 09:21:52 AM
In terms of mods, I had a little work done on the circuit board to convert the reverb circuit so it works with both channels.  It's a pretty easy mod to do, but as you guys know, the stock DRRI only has the vibrato and reverb on the second channel and not the first.  I have also changed out the tubes, and I think it sounds deadly.  If I were changing out the speaker, I would be very tempted to get a 12" tone tubby, the same as I have in my HT cab.  They just sound so incredible.  But I can't see me spending anymore money until I acquire my guitar from AO, it's all designed, just got to save up for the deposit funds.
Quote from: jadirusso on September 15, 2010, 09:40:31 AM
Patrick.. I haven't really mod'd mine yet. I have thought about some stuff that I'd like to do tho. For a while I was getting that high end fizz so I was frantically looking for mod's to get rid of it but that seems to have mellowed quite drastically with more and more usage and I'm much happier with the sound I'm getting now so I'm not in a huge rush to mod.
Poster suggested a push/pull mid boost mod which I would love to get done and I definitely intend to try some different preamp tubes very soon. I'd also like to try some of the different speakers that people have suggested.

Thanks guys.  Yeah, my only quam with DRRI is the mids.  At least I think it's the DRRI, might be the rest of my gear, but a mid range boost anywhere would probably help me. 

jadirusso--god damn that is a fine piece of koa, you must be buzzing.
Current Rig:

Walker done done

I'd reco the HotRod Delux.  I currently use this as my main amp and have not only no complaints but friggin' love the overdrive channel on here.  The only mods I've done are a Tone Tubby speaker and swapped some tubes (most notably a NOS RCA 12AX7 from the 60's)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

Quote from: Walker done done on September 15, 2010, 01:15:34 PM
I'd reco the HotRod Delux.  I currently use this as my main amp and have not only no complaints but friggin' love the overdrive channel on here.  The only mods I've done are a Tone Tubby speaker and swapped some tubes (most notably a NOS RCA 12AX7 from the 60's)

Thanks Walker, that makes me feel a little better because I dig these too, but was afraid that it wouldn't allow me to get Trey tones (since everyone is bowing down to the DR).  But I'm sure it can be dialed in to get just the amount of clean/dirt/bounce/dynamics that will indeed make it worthy.

jadirusso

Orange.. I had a HotRod Deville 2x12 that I used for a long time and it is definitely a nice choice for the price so don't fear that the HotRod's won't get you a nice sound that you'll like because it likely will.
Joe

Walker done done

Quote from: jadirusso on September 15, 2010, 01:36:22 PM
Orange.. I had a HotRod Deville 2x12 that I used for a long time and it is definitely a nice choice for the price so don't fear that the HotRod's won't get you a nice sound that you'll like because it likely will.

Hey Russo - what's your profile pic anyways?  Is that new?  If so who's building it?  That's one fucking sexy piece of Koa.  I'd do it. :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

jadirusso

Hey Walker.. my name is Joe. AO is building my guitar.. the pic is the layout that I think I like the best out of the 4 that Andrew sent me for my Koa top. And yes kudos to Andrew's Koa guy for finding a really nice piece. And I know you are close to Andrew's place so just don't go making a mess on my Koa ;)
Joe

strato

Yo dog..
hope you like the pics.

Check out a Carvin Vintage 16...killer tone.  Also, Fender blues Jr...similar..compare the 2 side by side.

sour d

I have a hot rod deluxe for sale. It's one of the earlier made in the usa ones. $325. Sounds great.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe