What is the best tube amp for under $400

Started by Happyorange27, September 15, 2010, 07:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishlips

I totally agree with Mr. Forbin on this.  I been using a buddy of mines Jr. for a while and really like it, even for gigs.  Makes me think twice lately about lugging my super around, but then I really think about it and just bring the super :-).  But yeah, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Poster

Iam getting more curious about those chinese hand made tube amps, ceriatone. i heard one of the dumble clones and it was pretty sweet. very bright sounding clean tone, chunky overdrive.

MomaDan

I am looking for something in this price range now. I have seen craigslist ads for a Peavey Classsic 50, Mesa Boogie Rocket 44, and a Bugera V22. Anyone have any experience with these amps? or other recommendations
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Happyorange27

Dan as you can see, this thread had me go with the Blues Jr. I love my amp. I have however enhanced it in many ways. The only thing to be concerned about it is that the gain is a grinding blues type. I keep the volume (pre amp gain) low but sometimes it gets grindy with the tubescreamers on full bore. Otherwise I'm spuing greatness all over myself. Watch some if my You Tube vids.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

phishlips

yeah, I'm with Happy.  I had a Classic 50.....meh...it was alright.  I mean, that's being a little hard on the amp.  The Classic 50 is a good amp but if I were you I'd keep saving and find a deal on an old Twin, Super, or Deluxe.  Not sure where your at but I'm in northern NJ and know a few guys that seem to constantly have old Fenders coming and going for good prices.  The last amp I bought was for $800, it was an old twin (not sure of the year) and I traded that with these guys for the super that I've been using for the last 5 or 6 years.  I know this probably doesn't help much but it's just my 2 cents.  If your in the area at all I'd be happy to go on a little hunt for ya.

Blues Jr. is a great amp though.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

MomaDan

Thanks I'm looking into one now. I live in the Orlando area, NJ might be a little far ;D
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

picture_of_nectar

If you look around you can find DRRIs for about $500 used.

That said I have a Blues Jr. with a Celestion vintage 30 speaker and I like it for living room stuff and as a grab and run amp. I suppose you could gig it if you had it mic'd into a decent PA.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

You can also pick up a used HotRod Delux for around $450.  A great amp.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

Reporting back now, I ended up buying the Vox AC15CC1 w/ a Greenback speaker. Ive only played it tonight on lower volumes, it sounds amazing even then. I just couldnt pass it up for under $400 ;D As mentioned everywhere the reverb does not sound that great but I might replace it in the future. Now the quest for pedals begins

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: MomaDan on September 26, 2011, 11:12:09 PM
Reporting back now, I ended up buying the Vox AC, Now the quest for pedals begins

Congrats, I like Vox amps....but beware the pandoras box that is pedal GAS!!!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone