Trey's tone thin

Started by Brian27, February 07, 2011, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

I have been watching the 12/30/2010 show that was posted on youtube by Skriddler and Treys tone is very thin sounding. Any idea why Trey went from an even loud sound to a thinner sound?

PlayItLeo17

Hey Brian, I was at the NYE Run and I thought it sounded pretty standard this past fall tour. It might have been just because I was at the show in the venue but I thought it was damn good. What songs in particular do think sounded thin?
Surrender to the Flow

Brian27

I guess all of them did. It sounded like his Treble was more pronounced then from the past. His clean tone is very weak sounding. Maybe its just a lower Volume on his amps

picture_of_nectar

I don't think YouTube is a good place to judge tone in general.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Brian27

I agree. I should enjoy the vids posted anyways. Phishows is an awesome website that a friend of mine told me about.

IamWILSON

I agree on Phishows being a great site, but I really haven't been there much since Phish forced them to take down the streaming option.  It was much easier to just stream the shows instead of having to d/l them.  Or are they streaming again?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Brian27

Still Download which is fine by me since i listen to whole shows anyways.

fulltone1989

Check out HarpuaFSB on youtube, I'm pretty sure he's the guy filming by the soundboard. AMAZING!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Phabulous

I just saw them in ATL (first night).  I have to say I agree.  I think it's by design and works well with newer songs like Kill Devil Falls, Ocelot, Keif covers, the Little Feat album, etc.  It doesn't work at all on a lot of old Phish classics though.  If this new, trebly, non-compressed sound is what he's really looking for, he'd probably be better suited with a simple Telecaster.

Brian27

I have never understood a person using a Guitar equipped with Humbuckers as a single coil guitar. Why not just buy a Strat. I have a Mid 80's Peavey Milestone and it sounds like shit when you split the coils but sounds amazing with those Humbuckers. 

picture_of_nectar

I split my hums sometimes if I'm playing rythm and want to fade back a little behind our vocalist/acoustic player. Also I like how it sounds split with the wah, a lil more funky sounding. 

I think Treys tone is incredible right now.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone