Vox AC4TV or Dr. Z brake lite??

Started by ColForbin, October 08, 2010, 08:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Yo gang,

I need some assistance.  I am having a practice time crisis as my only time to play save the weekends is at night, but I can't plug in with my little dude asleep and another baby on the way in December.  This has lead me to being able to play at lower volumes and not sacrifice tone, a scenario that I have narrowed down to two options.

Option #1:

The Vox AC4TV ($265.00CAD)

This is a cool little rig with a build in attenuator so you can go from 4watts - 1 watt - 1/4 watt.  It would be a pretty easy amp to bring to practice or quick little jam sessions and easier to move around than my '65 DRRI.  I could also plug an extension cabinet into it.

Option #2:

Dr. Z Brake Lite ($175.00CAD)

This attenuator gets fastened to the inside of your combo amp and has 4 attenuation settings.  This would let me really find the sweet spot on my DR and use the switch for whatever levels.  This would also work with my HT cab, as I would just plug into it instead of my amp.

So my question to the SD populace, do you guys have any experience with either one of these pieces of gear?  Do you think having a separate very portable amp is justifiable to the price difference?

Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

aoguitars

Yeah man, I actually really enjoy having a couple of little practice amps like that. They can be used for so much, and every one of the little VOX amps that I've tried/heard have been pretty sweet for their size. While I think it'd be really cool to be able to attenuate your DR, you're still lugging that piece around no matter the volume. However, if that's your sound and that's what you want to hear when you're practicing, then the Brake makes sense.

I'd also look into the Tech 21 Trademark 10 or 30 for little practice amps that are killer. I use a T30 as my bench amp when I'm setting up/wiring guitars, and it sounds amazing. It's tiny, can drive cabinets, has DI and headphone jacks, and could easily be used in a practice setup with a band. Worth a look. A lot of the big touring cats use those little T10s as their greenroom/warm-up amps--they're great.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

beebs

Hope this is not too late, but don't get the ac4tv. I had one and was not impressed with it. It sounds funky when attenuated and does not have very much clean headroom at all for hbs (and the clean sound is soo weak and thin). I mean it's good if you like that beatles fuzzed to hell sounds like the amp is on fire and about to explode revolution sound, but the chime and lack of any clean bass and lack of features had me trading it in for a fender superchamp xd which is a much better practice amp imho. Heck I would even take a cheap peavey modeling amp for practicing over my vox. It only had one good sound, but that was unattenuated and loud as hell in the end. Then again, I tend to like full sparkly sounding amps as apposed to thin jingly ones.
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

picture_of_nectar

Congrats on the new baby Forb!!!! I've got one on the way anyday now.

Good luck with the practice amp selection, hey that's what guitar center is good for. I'm pretty happy with my Blues Junior tone at low volume. Quite a bit lighter to carry then the DRRI.

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

ColForbin

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 05, 2010, 12:00:17 AM
Congrats on the new baby Forb!!!! I've got one on the way anyday now.

Good luck with the practice amp selection, hey that's what guitar center is good for. I'm pretty happy with my Blues Junior tone at low volume. Quite a bit lighter to carry then the DRRI.

Thanks pon!  Congrats to you as well.  And thanks to ao and beebs for the info.  I haven't done anything on this yet, so it wasn't too late.  Another consideration is a pro junior, which I've always really liked.  I think what I need to do is try the dr. z on a drri at the store and see how it sounds, but maybe a pro or blues junior is the way to go.  But I really appreciate the heads up on the vox amp.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

raisingfreen

I would really consider AO's advice about the Trademark 10 or Trademark 30 amp. They are extremely versatile and sound really good. The tone controls are kinda active meaning they really do affect the tone in a big way (cut/boost). You can dial in a lower volume tone but it will still have some balls. It's got reverb, line out, headphones (sounds great with good headphones). And it can be used as a backup rig if your playing live via the line out. I would suggest the Trademark 30 as I don't think the 10s are even around. The 30 is really small, lite, and just all around perfect practice amp. I nabbed on on craigslist for under $200. In other words you can skip the Z brake thingy with this choice.

I will say I am surprised there is not more mention to just using Garageband (or similar) and plugging the guitar into the computer (Mac) for practice. You can use drum beats, keys, bass etc... or just pick a simple amp setup and jam away. The key is a good analog to digital converter box like the apogee one or simalar. Slap on some decent headphones and you can get crazy in complete silence. If you already have a computer in your "mancave" than no need to buy another amp. (Ok maybe just one more amp). Just sayin, even ipods have built in jam tools these days. Embrace it.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

deadbearbobby

If i were you i'd avoid the vox AC4TV. I owned one and couldn't get it to sound "good". Maybe it was me not being able to handle the simple knobs... but it always sounded muddy and muffled. I would recommend the Fender Champion 600. 5watts of pure vintage sound... and very cheap got one off craigslist for $85. there is just one knob... volume... so... don't run more than 2 pedals at a time... Unless they are reallly true bypass... or the sound will be muddy and muffled like the vox. Just thought i'd weigh in here.
Peace
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

sour d

For small amps I like blackface or silverface fender champs. Perfect little tube amps.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

I just bought a Bugera V5 for $150 at GC.

Sounds pretty good for a 5w. Has a built in attenuator that can go from 5 to 1 or .1 amps. Gain, Volume, Tone, Reverb. It also has a beefy little cabinet which I think really makes a difference in the low fequencies.

Oh yeah, headphone jack. 

I was pretty impressed with the tone of the floor model at GC, out of the box it sounds a little flat but I think it just needs to break in a little.  

Worth checking out.

Poster

honestly a micro tube amp is a waste of money. unless your doing some sort of brooklyn apartment recording.

id simply get a solid state power amp of some sort, something with a headphone jack. run your pedals for tonal variety.

cheap, dependable, and honestly, anybody that says a tiny tube amp is going to give you a tone bone through headphones needs to lay off the pipe.

i love my magnum 44 solid state power amp, i use a little passive headphone converter with it, and its great. Turns on immediately, sounds as clean as kimock.

oh and if you amp fucks up at the jam spot, simply plug in the mag 44 and use it as your power amp pushing your internal combo speaker. Its brutally loud.  

*edit. any power soak attenuator is going to literally suck the life out of your amp. The Dr. z is no different. Any tech worth a grain of salt will tell you they are shit. Iam referring to

use during a live show situation,jam spot etc, obviously you cant get any quieter than  headphones for quiet baby practice. but yeah, they are shit. either use a smaller watt tube

amp or just turn down. One other option is a cathode drive control, which I used to have on my old Knopfler amp, but it completely changes the breakup, hence the name

cathode drive control, it makes your power tubes less efficient.

picture_of_nectar

ColForbin

Thanks for all the input dudes.  I ended up not pulling the trigger on either one of the options I was looking at.  I am considering the trademark 30 option or some solid state practice amp with a headphone output.  I also am considering just living with my Boss ME-70 multi effects unit for quiet practicing.  That way I can use headphones and it also has an aux in so I can plug the Iphone in and jam along.  That's definitely the least cost option......we shall see.
Current rig: 

Phabulous

If budget permits (~$850) check out the Reason Bambino.  Awesome tone, headphone option taboot.