Main Menu

My "Rig"

Started by dabomb, December 07, 2011, 09:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabomb

Fender Strat (MIM) w/Hot Rails in the bridge, vintage rails in the middle, and cool rails in the neck and an Ibanez Artcore > Dunlop Crybaby > QTron > Boss CS3 Compression/Sustain > TS9 > Boss Super OverDrive > Boss Delay > Boss RCLX Looper > Fender Blues Jr*

* not purchased yet. Currently a Roland BC 30.

I like my Strat with the new pick-ups, but I love it when the selector switch is between the middle and bridge pick-up. It has an amazing punchiness that sounds a little Telecastery and a little SRV-y. None of the other 4 settings are even close. I would definitely consider getting a mod done. I've heard of a "Tiger Mod" that creates something like Jerry Garcia's tone in a strat.

This may change with the new amp on the way, but my clean tone right now is the clean amp channel with a touch of compression and delay. I think this might be my way of getting a touch of reverb which may not be needed w/ the Blue jr amp.

Any thoughts welcome!

I hope to get some music posted soon - looking forward to chatting it up w/ y'all.

fulltone1989

Quote from: dabomb on December 07, 2011, 09:40:42 AM
Fender Strat (MIM) w/Hot Rails in the bridge, vintage rails in the middle, and cool rails in the neck and an Ibanez Artcore > Dunlop Crybaby > QTron > Boss CS3 Compression/Sustain > TS9 > Boss Super OverDrive > Boss Delay > Boss RCLX Looper > Fender Blues Jr*

* not purchased yet. Currently a Roland BC 30.

I like my Strat with the new pick-ups, but I love it when the selector switch is between the middle and bridge pick-up. It has an amazing punchiness that sounds a little Telecastery and a little SRV-y. None of the other 4 settings are even close. I would definitely consider getting a mod done. I've heard of a "Tiger Mod" that creates something like Jerry Garcia's tone in a strat.

This may change with the new amp on the way, but my clean tone right now is the clean amp channel with a touch of compression and delay. I think this might be my way of getting a touch of reverb which may not be needed w/ the Blue jr amp.

Any thoughts welcome!

I hope to get some music posted soon - looking forward to chatting it up w/ y'all.

Nice! Blues Jr.s are sweeeet amps, you may want to check out the PGS Humbolt model too. I had a CS-3 for a while that I couldn't bond with, but you may want to look into some Monte Allum (SP?!) mods for that and your boss OD and maybe even the TS. They're super cheap and DIY and they sound darn good for the price-point.

May I be the first to welcome you! Ahoy!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Welcome dabomb! 

Nice rig you have there.  I had a CS-3 for a decade and did do the Monte mod which helped a bunch.  It's better then.  But I sold it since I was supposed to be getting a botique pedal (which never was completed).

You'll enjoy your BJ (who doesn't? :)).

I'd like to hear your playing, especially curious of those pickups.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

dabomb

yeah, I totally concur w/ the CS-3. Me no likey. Do y'all do the mods yourselves or do you ship them off? I'm definitely considering it.

I'll go post a clip of me playing on the proper section. I look forward to your criticisms

fulltone1989

Quote from: dabomb on December 08, 2011, 12:11:50 PM
yeah, I totally concur w/ the CS-3. Me no likey. Do y'all do the mods yourselves or do you ship them off? I'm definitely considering it.

I'll go post a clip of me playing on the proper section. I look forward to your criticisms

Yep the mods are DIY, quite cheap and simple!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

manicstarseed

Self-mod  on a CS-3? Hmm its trade fodder at the moment. I wonder .....if this
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

dabomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnuMwIUp3Q&feature=youtu.be

My Blues Jr. is being modded right now. Here is the link to mods Step #1 for those interested.

Happyorange27

Cool dude. I'm going to keep an eye on this. Hit me up anytime about the BJ. Looks like you have the green board. It's not as mod friendly but still very worthy. What is your speaker?  If it's that stock Jensen you will have too much high end.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

dabomb

Yea, it is definitely the green board  :(

I'm going to give the speaker a go and then take it from there. From reading reviews I might go cannabis rex. Any thoughts?

IamWILSON

Thumbs up for the Cannabis Rex!  I bought the Blues Jr III Humboldt that came with the CR and JJ tubes and now that the speaker is broken in I really like the tone, and can finally turn up the treble knob above 1.  In fact I used it on my church gig this last Sunday for the first time, since we had a special lineup (drums, bass, piano, guitar, viola, and 2 female singers, and 3 of us guys were singing too), and I thought it sounded great with bass, treble, and mids all on 7!  Master was on 3 and volume @ about 5.  How weird is that?  I wasn't running any effects either, so just a dry signal going in and I was pleased with the tone... very chimey and responsive to my playing.

Happy- I still plan on doing some mods, I just wanna learn a little about doing this stuff myself next year so I'm putting the project off for now until I have the time to dedicate to this stuff.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

webephishin

i play a schecter c/sh-1 through a Vox v845 Classic Wah > EH Micro Qtron > TS9 AM Silver > Boss DS-1 > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U > Boss RC-2 Loop Station > Fender Twin Reverb Silverface

Any comments, questions, suggestions or tips are welcome!
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

I played a ds1 for years before I had a clue on good tone. I know you can mod them but as stock I would lose that thing. Otherwise you are good.

webephishin

yup, my next step was to replace that with another ts9 or OD of some sort....I want somethin that provides a really thick full tone along with my not so heavy AM silver
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

Maybe OCD. Never tried one however.

MomaDan

I just sold an OCD today. It just didnt do it for me when I was trying to get Trey tones. If your looking for something with thick crunch the lowpass mode really works for that. A lot of people do like it though.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ