question about speaker impedance...

Started by cactuskeeb, December 29, 2007, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

Hi everyone.  I know that when using the internal speaker of a DRRI by itself the impedance rating of this speaker should be 8ohms; however, what is the effect of plugging in an external speaker also rated at 8ohms?  Does the fact that both speaker jacks are wired in parallel effect the ohm rating?  In other words, say I'm on the hunt for an external 2x12 speaker for my DR -- what impedance should the cab be in order to match the load expectance of the amp?  Also, when the external speaker(s) is plugged in does this then turn off the 1x12 internal speaker or does one get an output from both the internal and external speakers?  Thanks in advance for your help!
-Austin

Stiles12

you def should ask hard truckers first off,

I was in the same situation I play through a class A 8 ohm, and the extension speaker had to be 4 ohms. otherwise the speaker cab will run hot trying to pull energy from your amp, essentially blowing it out. ohms are the ost important aspect of your amp. Its easy to think of it like this, ohms are the fire hose of your amp and watts are the amount of pressure beeing forced through that hose.

dont fuck around with that stuff just make a phone call and figure it out
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

I'm going with these guys, ask Hard Truckers. You don't want to mess this up. I don't know much about this at all. I know my Deluxe reverb is an 8 ohm amp. When I bought the HT 2x12 cab Glenn put in two 16ohm speakers. I asked Glenn about building a 1x15 bass cab to handle the low ends in my rig and he said I would need a 16 ohm speaker in the bass cab and they would have to rewire my 2x12 cab a different way, either series or parrallel. I don't remeber which way he said it needed to go. Either it is now in series and I need to go parrallel or the opposite.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org