funky rig (hot pants!) - UPDATED!

Started by cactuskeeb, February 14, 2008, 06:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

strangedesign

Did you get your Black Cat Vibe from CAE or Analogman?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

I got it from this Finnish guy who got it from CAE.

cactuskeeb

By the way, if anyone is at all interested in the modifications I had done to my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, please don't hesitate to PM or email me with your questions and/or general interest in knowing more about the mods done to Trey's amp.  Alternatively, you could simply contact Eric--the electric guitar amplification genius who did the mods--at VikingAmps@comcast.net.

I have the digital conversion interface, dual-channel mic preamps (to hopefully get that hard-panned, big stereo image Paul talks about in an interview), and in a couple days I will have an AKG B-ULS condenser--which I'll be using in tandem with a dynamic microphone.  Thus, if I can get all this to work :)  ...well, at least if I do we'll be able to hear the difference between the stock Deluxe Reverb and the mod.

cheers

Walker done done

Nice!  Thanks CK - I may take you up on that later this year if I get the opportunity to purchase a new amp, which is something I'm hoping to do.

Post audio clips when it's done?  Love to hear it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

BTW, the settings on my amp have changed drastically since I installed a tailpiece and a tune-matic type bridge with brass saddles.  The brass really changes things -- the highs, for one, are increased tenfold.  Now I have the treble around 1-2 and the bass at the same level.

cactuskeeb

cactuskeeb

strangedesign

Damn that's awesome !!! So, when are you getting the Super Tremolo and a Boomerang? How do you like those loop master switches? I have the exact same 2 boxes. I love 'em!  8)

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

I'm waiting for the new boomerang to come out, and I don't know when I'll get a super trem.  I like the loopmaster stuff a lot; although, I like it even more now that I have the gigrig humdinger (ridiculous name!) to buffer the output signal.  Running the signal through all that rack gear raises the impedance somewhat, and the buffer lowers that impedance.

cactuskeeb

OK, so apparently I didn't quite understand the concept of a buffered device; but now I do and if you care at all you might noitce that the white box with blue square that says "Humdinger" on it has moved from being connected to the output of the loop switcher (the large one); now it resides in the chain where it's connected to the input of the ls.  I had originally thought that the buffered output simply lowered a received, high impedance down to a low one; however, what it actually does (the buffered out on the humdinger, that is) is *drive* the long runs and effects devices that follow it -- imparting a more robust, fuller spectrum, low impedance signal (as opposed to a weak, loaded down signal).  Later on today, I'll have time to try putting the humdinger right after my guitar in the signal chain; the idea being -- among other reasons -- that since I have "true bypass" dirt boxes (two modded OD9's), I therefore (perhaps, maybe) don't have a buffer stage that could prevent loss of high end due to connection of high impedance guitar output.

cactuskeeb

strangedesign

phucking ALLSOME!

Where did you get your leslie? Are they expensive?

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

I got the Leslie off Amazon.  It was costly, to be sure.  I'm still fooling around with the controls, trying to dial in the right settings.  There was a huge increase in the sonics of the leslie after I switched from the following --
...Fender DR ext. speaker out --> CAE line out box --> Leslie aux 1/4" input
to this setup:
...Gigrig humdinger isolated out --> Trek II --(11pin leslie cable)--> Leslie 11pin input

As of now, it easily nails the leslie tone that's all over the Farmhouse album.  I *would* run it the same way Trey does, but I don't have a singular unit to function as a transformer isolated out (as Trey does with the CAE ISO-1); yet I do have the gigrig humdinger, which has both the buffered out and transformer isolated out.  The buffer is too important right now in the signal path (it comes after the Ross and before the loop box) to move it from its current place in the chain; nevertheless, I believe it's better tonally speaking *not* to have the leslie path go through the Korg DTR-2; although, it would still be cool to be able to mute and unmute the leslie with a latching footswitch connected to the DTR-2, as Trey does.  I say this because when you power off the Trek II, there is a delay as the motor on the leslie slows down to a stop, the result being that the sound coming out of the leslie speaker(s) fades out (this is not as pleasing as it might sound in writing, to be sure). Then again, I believe that the leslie model I have might work with two footswitches (as it does have a 1/4" footswitch input), so I'll try that with a latching switch.

Btw, my new project involves building a Fender DR nearly true to the original specs. of the AB763, but with a mix of vintage and modern caps and MM transformers.

strangedesign

Wasn't the Leslie 21 what Trey had sitting on top of his rack for years before going to the 122? I wonder why he switched? We might need to ask Brian about that.

www.strangedesign.org