funky rig (hot pants!) - UPDATED!

Started by cactuskeeb, February 14, 2008, 06:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

That leslie was custom made by Goff Professional, the same company that makes the Trek II.  It only consisted of the horn and crossover unit of a standard leslie cabinet.  So, yes, he had more or less what's in the Leslie 21; it was connected to one of the extension speakers outs on the Groove Tubes power amp.  More than likely, he went to the leslie 122 because it's just better, period.  It has its own tube power amp inside.  Nonetheless, I *am* interested in hearing the real story about it from Brian. 

strangedesign

crap, I sent some questions off to him last night and forgot all about this one. I just emailed him again and included the question about the Leslie! We will hear something before long.

You don't have far to go to have Trey's current rig! boomerang, whammy and super trem. I guess to be exact you would also need to CAE switcher and controls.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

Actually, I think I have a ways to go yet; although, I'm working on it as we speak.  I'm building new "vintage" deluxe reverb out of about a gazillion parts I've aquired through various online dealers and ebay.  I came to the basic conclusion that the Deluxe Reverb Reissue sucks, and that was the reason for this build.  Thank you for emailing Brian.  I understand how to make a midrange control, it's actually easy to do; yet, I don't quite understand what Brian means when he says that they converted the vibrato circuit because you don't need to do this to make the midrange boost.

Bob's building the switcher.  I'm not kidding.

cactuskeeb

One other thing that's important in regard to Trey's sound involves Paul's so-called modifications to the stock pickup wiring, first with the schallers and then with the SD PAF copies.  Having owned a time guitar at one point, and generally taking an over-interest in the "lore" surrounding such things, I feel that there's a lot to be learned about the *unspoken* minor (major?) details regarding Paul's construction/wiring techniques.  Here's an excerpt from the relatively new time guitar shrine on the web:

"The earliest pickups were from Schaller, but we stripped off the wire and wound the bobbins with our own wire. This wire was thinner than 'normal' pickup wire [I forget the gauge]. This gave more high end & sensitive output. We wound them by hand on a drill press! You would sit there for hours hand feeding the wire and hoping that it didn't break!

Later, I built a coil winding machine that ran on stepper motors controlled by an Atari 800. I never got this completely working, but it started me on my current career path. [...]

You will see a few guitars with different pickups. Around 1980, we were using Mighty-Mite parts before switching back to Schaller. MightyMite website.
There's also some DiMarzio equipped guitars out there.
The last guitars built had Stuart Duncan pickups with Floyd Rose whammies."

The point of interest in the above, to be sure, cannot but be the stripping of traditional, PAF style humbuckers, and rewinding with ultra-fine pickup wire.

If you're curious about the time guitar I possessed for a short period of time, look for the blue flying v on the above website; the one I had was identical, except for its explorer shaped body, orange (not blue) body color, and - my favorite - headstock being the same as Trey's first custom full-hollow.

strangedesign

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 17, 2008, 03:23:57 AM
Actually, I think I have a ways to go yet; although, I'm working on it as we speak.  I'm building new "vintage" deluxe reverb out of about a gazillion parts I've aquired through various online dealers and ebay.  I came to the basic conclusion that the Deluxe Reverb Reissue sucks, and that was the reason for this build.  Thank you for emailing Brian.  I understand how to make a midrange control, it's actually easy to do; yet, I don't quite understand what Brian means when he says that they converted the vibrato circuit because you don't need to do this to make the midrange boost.

Bob's building the switcher.  I'm not kidding.
what's the eta on the switcher?

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

lol, well now Bob should be back from the tour he went on right after I gave him the down payment several months ago, so I hope to hear from him shortly...

Poster

dont count on bob dude, he never does anything, but delay, and not return calls.

cactuskeeb

Yes, he takes a while.  His gear is second to none.  Take my black cat vibe, for example: if you look at the "guts" of the thing you'll see carbon composition resistors in key points, with carbon or metal film in non-tone-affecting points to keep things quiet (these design details are, in my opinion, the key to Analogman's TS9 mods as well; although clearly Bob was doing it long before Analogman).  You'll see as well a single germanium transistor in amongst the garden variety silicon transistors -- that's something which I would categorize as being on the cutting edge, as it were, of current effects pedal trends; although, again, Bob clearly was doing it decades before everyone else.  Finally, the workmanship -- that is, the quality of solder joints, spacing of parts and length of connecting wires, etc. -- of Bob's gear is better than anything I've seen, period.  Not that any of this makes up for the haircut lol.

strangedesign

www.strangedesign.org

Poster

Quote from: cactuskeeb on May 31, 2008, 03:25:02 PM
Yes, he takes a while.  His gear is second to none.  Take my black cat vibe, for example: if you look at the "guts" of the thing you'll see carbon composition resistors in key points, with carbon or metal film in non-tone-affecting points to keep things quiet (these design details are, in my opinion, the key to Analogman's TS9 mods as well; although clearly Bob was doing it long before Analogman).  You'll see as well a single germanium transistor in amongst the garden variety silicon transistors -- that's something which I would categorize as being on the cutting edge, as it were, of current effects pedal trends; although, again, Bob clearly was doing it decades before everyone else.  Finally, the workmanship -- that is, the quality of solder joints, spacing of parts and length of connecting wires, etc. -- of Bob's gear is better than anything I've seen, period.  Not that any of this makes up for the haircut lol.

Well can you get him to make me a pair of ISO 1's, ill pay you? LOL He wont return my calls...

Stiles12

correct me if Im wrong, the actual ground control unit should make little to no difference which one you use, it is all in the actual audio switcher. The audio switcher is the only thing that your signal is running through, the actual ground unit does just as much as any other amp switcher or amp channel switch. I own a system like this. I have both GCX ground control and Audio Switcher products. Wouldnt I get the same sound using the CAE Audio Switcher and the ground control pro Unit?

I wonder if it is faster to get one from Pete Cornish, then from Bob Bradshaw?
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

The ground control uses electronic (FET) switching, exclusively.  Bob's switching systems often have one or two features that use this method but for the most part his systems are hard wired.  Hard wired switching introduces less noise, does not buffer the signal, and is more mechanically sound.  Sometimes a buffer is good, like at the beginning of the signal chain or right before an effects rack.