My Hard Truckers Cab

Started by ColForbin, May 02, 2008, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Just received my HT Cab (JG-1) two days ago, and it is the greatest thing ever!!!  Highly recommended, I'll post some pics here as soon as I can get a camera.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

strangedesign

did you get it loaded with Tone Tuby's? If you think it sounds good now, wait about 20 hours of playing and the speakers get broken in...
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

Quote from: strangedesign on May 02, 2008, 10:44:15 AM
did you get it loaded with Tone Tuby's? If you think it sounds good now, wait about 20 hours of playing and the speakers get broken in...

Sweet!!  That's what I was hoping, I did get it loaded with the Tone Tubbies, it's so good.  And Glenn is outstanding to deal with.  The only thing that perturbed me (not ht's fault) was when it got up here, I found out that my good ol' government was charging me $152.00 in brokerage and duty fees, free trade my ass!!!
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

strangedesign

you got hose tone tubbies broken in yet?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

Quote from: strangedesign on May 21, 2008, 07:39:55 PM
you got hose tone tubbies broken in yet?

Not quite yet, I will be playing the cab in its first public outing tomorrow night.  It's gonna get some looks with the Hazy Nova grill cloth and then some double takes once the general public hears it.  As a side not, my keyboardist just purchased an Alesis Synth and it will be having it's first outing as well.  We are doing seamless sets with a cool DJ and it's gonna be pretty boss.

Frig me and my no camera, I'll get someone to take pictures at the show and I'll post them here.
Current rig: 

ColForbin

Finally got some pics up of my HT Cab and my board, so here goes.  Most of these pics are from our recording session, except for the last one.

Amp & Cab

My board

My guitar - Crafter Convoy DX

Signal Path is:  Crafter Electric-->Korg DT10-->GCB95 Wah (true bypass modded)-->Diamond Drive-->Erotic FX Compressor-->Emma Discombobulator-->True Bypass Looper:  (Loop 1: Whammy-->Deeelay - Loop 2:  Boomerang)-->Deluxe Reverb 65RI-->JG1 Hard Truckers Cab

Disco Rockin Llamas set break/Our setup on stage
Current rig: 

Poster

your bass player has enough cabinets LOL Looks awesome man!

ColForbin

Quote from: posternutbag on August 14, 2008, 05:31:47 PM
your bass player has enough cabinets LOL Looks awesome man!

Ha!!  Those aren't even all the ones he owns, but to be fair the amp right below his bass head is our keyboard amp.  He plays an awesome 6 string Modulus (sp?) and has great tone!  I have a picture of his board that I could post on here if anybody is interested....
Current rig: 

Poster

Totally post your bass players rig. Anyway, how do you like that diamond double overdrive thing? Its pretty much two modded TS9's in one box right?  Now that Ive got an isolated power source for it, my gainster overdrive acts like almost an arbiter fuzz face with the gain cranked to 11 :) Before, whenever I tried to crank it I got hum. You should totally go get a bbe supa charger for your rig. my stuff sound light-years better than it did with the ole dc dunlop and no hum when everything is turned up really fucking loud. Do you really use the dicombobulator alot? Whenever Ive bought enevelope filters for guitar they always end up on ebay. On another seemingly random note,  Iam actually thinking of canning the boomerang from my pedal board its just a matter of what couple of stompboxes should replace it...

Your rig looks good. I would suggest you dump that fender amp for a matchless head but thats just me :) My tone tubby cabinet and my jtm 45/ plexi 50/ matchless clone absolutely sounds incredible. The mercury transformer and combination of both 12ax7s AND el34 preamp tubes gives me the best of both worlds, the 2 el34's in the power section are brutal in a kenny wayne srv kinda way but will not breakup unless pushed really hard. 

ColForbin

Here's his rig.  He has great tone, especially with his 6 string Modulus. 

Also poster, I love the Diamond J-Drive, it's a really well made sweet sounding pedal with true bypass.  (I feel like I've told you this already, but I can't find it in my message box, sorry if it's repetitive) It has a lead/clean boost on it and four knobs (drive, warmth, volume, gain/clean boost).  Plus they are made in Eastern Canada so I wouldn't have to go very far for support.  Here's a link for the pedal in case you are interested in reading up on them.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/jdrive_mk3.html

Now, I have a couple questions for you:

1)  What is a bbe supa charger and what does it do?  (I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Kindergarten Cop, "Who is your daddy and what does he do?)

2)   The jtm 45/ plexi 50/ matchless clone, where can I find details on it.  I'm really starting to push myself to getting a head for my cab and selling my fender amp, but as usual, I need direction....

Current rig: 

Poster

the bbe super charger is an affordable clone of the voodoo labs pedal power 2. its has isolated power outputs so no loop hum from your pedals. I FUCKING LOVE MINE. If you look at the most recent pictures of my pedal board you can see its now mounted underneath my board with aluminum ties and it works great.

my mutant matchless/plexi/jtm clone was handmade by a pharmacist here in memphis. his name is robert henson and he doesnt have a website. for like 500-750$ this dude will build you a fucking monster. he doesnt do requests, but Ive never heard an amp he built that sounded bad. See hes been building them for years for local gigging musicians like luther dickinson (black crowes, nma allstars), walter hughes, Steve Selvidge, and well ME. If you want one I could get his number for you. Hes an extremely nice guy, a little wonked in the head, but a nice guy by all accounts. Youd probably call him, see what hes got already built, and either buy one of those, or politely ask him to build a copy of my "ugly plaid" amp. Personally, I messed around with a handful of different henson amps around the city gigging, and they are all still running smooth, and sounding great! Only thing to remember is that he usually doesnt have a reverb built into hid heads. Its a very antique type of style he likes so they are usually setup vol treble bass switch and thats it. I just bought a little reverb, sent it to garmopat, and now Ive got reverb all day. cheers Forbin! excellent post sir.

cactuskeeb

Is that the recording setup you used to record the songs on your band's myspace?

Poster

Quote from: cactuskeeb on August 27, 2008, 10:38:39 AM
Is that the recording setup you used to record the songs on your band's myspace?

yeah you guys recordings sound goood. what mics did you use?

the only recordings my band has done on a shitty in house club setup that simply has a tape out off this shitty mixing board. we havent been able to play much live lately as we fired our drummer for a new guy who decided to screw us for a christian rock band. So now our (7th) drummer is supposed to be playing our shows booked for sept, but well see. Its so frustrating, every drummer we meet is either fucked up in life or sucks or both...

anyway, any new recording iam doing is in my house on my phonic 808 firefly into sonar producers edition or reaper. sounds clear as a bell.

ColForbin

Quote from: cactuskeeb on August 27, 2008, 10:38:39 AM

Actually no.  The recording setup in those pics, is for our EP that we are releasing this fall and is far superior to the myspace recordings in my estimation.  The myspace recordings, turned out better than I thought they would actually.  But we just did that in my bass player's basement with a local guy who's just starting out on the whole recording thing.  It was sort of a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of scenario.  We needed to get some tunes online and he needed recording experience.

Thanks for the info poster, by the way, does anybody here have any amp heads that they are looking to sell?
Current rig: 

cactuskeeb

I will sell you my boogie for 400 dollars.  I bought it for 700 several months ago; it needs some work but nothing major, just a basic overhaul since it's basically an antique at this point.  There is a noticable burn mark on the circuit board where the original parts have been replaced by newer production ones; I have no doubt that the reason for this was due to a burnt resistor, which is the most common malfunction for vintage amps to undergo.  The high gain channel is too noisy to use, that's basically why it needs an overhaul; likely the pots and/or input jacks need replacing.  It's also been sitting in my car in the garage for a couple weeks in a big cardboard box, so I don't know if it's gotten worse but I doubt it.  The normal (clean) channel is fine, however the reverb does not work.  Unless you're playing metal you don't use the other channel--the high gain, "drive" channel--so, in essence, you wouldn't necessarily need to take it to a tech for an approx. 35 dollar tune up.  You will have to pay for some of the shipping, since you live in canada, and because the amp weighs 47 pounds.  No, seriously, it does.  Final selling point: it's the same model amp head Trey used from 1989 to 1994.  There's no catch, I'm just tired of it sitting in my car, and my wife paid the wrong cable company 200 dollars for our bill this month; hence, it would be nice to have some extra money to take care of that little mishap.