2 TS9's, Whammy 2, Boomerang3, RMC3, Foxrox Octave2 & Ross.. What order u think?

Started by Helping Friendly, June 17, 2011, 02:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need help on our Band name. Right now we go by "Soundboard" but might want to change it. Here are the options, don't laughf..

Soundboard
Soundboard Monkey
Monkey Speed Time
Monkey Soundboard

Helping Friendly

So I have all of the above pedals and a Road Rage 7 loop true bypass Looper. What order do you think I should put these pedals in to get the most out of them?
I plan on picking up a Delay when I have the cash flow. So if you could include that placement as well that would be dope. I think I'm gona go with the AnalogMan Dual Delay.. What do you think about that one? Oh yea, this is for gigging..
I should mention my Tube Screamers are : AnalogMan TS9 Silver and AnalogMan TS 808 True Vintage Mod..
THANKS MY FRIENDS   8)

Oh yea.. Can someone sell me on of those grafite picks? I wana see what all the hype is about but cant find them???
My E-Mail -  Jerzey222@yahoo.com

phishlips

welp, not sure if this is the best way but I would probably go something like,

.....actually now I'm completely rethinking my set up.  well, here's what mine is-

from guitar, RMC3, Boss Octave, TS7 modded, TS9 modded, delay, Ross, tuner and to the amp.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should have the Ross first from guitar, idk.  My rig runs pretty hot at full band volume.  Most open jams that I host guys are like perplexed at how I keep these things but, I can sustain and grab feed back at any time I want so it works for me.  Although I do get an occasional squeal I think that's more from usually standing right next to my amp at high volume.  Give something like that a try and see whatcha think.  Like anything, it's gonna come down to you just spending time plugging and unplugging pedals till it sounds right to you.  Good luck, keep us posted. 
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

IamWILSON

I would try Whammy 2 > RMC3 > Ts9 (heavier gain) > Ts9 (lighter gain) > Ross > Delay > Boomerang.  I just looked up the Foxrox Octave pedal and it sounds like its really fun.  I'm not sure where to put it, but I'd try it before the ts9s, b/w the 2nd ts9 and Ross, and after the Ross to see where it reacts the way you want it with the ts9s.  Maybe even try it before the wah pedal as that will make a difference too.  I know most people here say to put the Whammy near the end of your chain, but I don't agree with that at all.  I find it sounds best up front (I still need to get a true bypass looper for it though) where it gets your true guitar signal feeding it. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Helping Friendly

Kool.. Yea that Foxrox Octron 2 is a great pedal. I feel like i can tap in to the effect Trey uses on the Back on the Train solo. I use a little octave down mixed with the screamers and its funky as hell. My drummer and I just built a custom pedal board out of wood for everything and it looks so dope.. I have the 7 looper elevated for easy access in its own little cubby. Once I finish painting and staining it I'll experiment with the pedal positioning and let you guys know what sounds best. Were the looper is elevated I drilled some custom holes for all the cables and the power supply's. I am using a Biyang Pedal Power which I just bought to power up most the pedals. I also just got a little while ago this neat little pedal/cable you guys should check out. It's called the Z CABLE made by "The Gig Rig" (www.TheGigRig.com). Its was my answer for running long cables and I was in the market for a buffer but came across this instead. Supposedly it tricks your amp into thinking your running your guitar strait into your amp directly. I believe there is actually a guitar pickup in the pedal/cable..  It"s new, they just invented it, luckily got my hands on one trough a waiting list first batch supply.. I am anxious to really see if it does what they claim it does. I tried it with just the Octron and one Ts9 and it didn't mess with my tone which is good, but will see how it holds up when I juice all of them up. I'll let you know if anyone's interested. Anyway, I'll also post some pics up once the board is done and if anyone likes it my buddy is gona take custom pedalboard orders to request. Thanks for your  input! This forum is dope  ;D

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Helping Friendly

fulltone1989

Whammy II ->Octave -> Wah -> 2 TS9's -> Ross -> Boomerang -> amp. Once you get the delay I would put it in between the Boomerang and the Ross. The reason I put the pitch shifting effects first in the chain is most Whammy II's have aging LED's that may have slight tracking issues (could be wrong) If you want to do that -1 oct effect + wah thing that Trey does it would track much better I would think.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Helping Friendly

PHINALLY! Ok people i'm just following up on my post and just finished my home made pedalboard. So here are some pics if you wana check it out.. I'm so stoked on how it came out!!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/HelpingFriendly/P7071248.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/HelpingFriendly/P7071249-1.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/HelpingFriendly/P7071247.jpg

Oh yea.. The Z-Cable mos def does what it says it does HappyOrange..
I leave it on active (no cable) and it sounds crisp like a good buffer..

Poster

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on June 29, 2011, 11:46:28 AM
Whammy II ->Octave -> Wah -> 2 TS9's -> Ross -> Boomerang -> amp. Once you get the delay I would put it in between the Boomerang and the Ross. The reason I put the pitch shifting effects first in the chain is most Whammy II's have aging LED's that may have slight tracking issues (could be wrong) If you want to do that -1 oct effect + wah thing that Trey does it would track much better I would think.

well when you think about it, its getting a stronger more focused signal coming after the compressor than direct.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 07, 2011, 05:58:23 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on June 29, 2011, 11:46:28 AM

well when you think about it, its getting a stronger more focused signal coming after the compressor than direct.

I understand, but the signal coming fresh from the guitar makes more sense to me that going through all those goodies. If you do that then your whole signal gets silly IMO. I use the -1 oct + wah a lot and the whammy has tracking issues whenever its not right in front.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Helping Friendly -  That's a really sweet pedal board you built!  Is that the loop master that's raised in the center?  If so, how do you like it?  Is there a pop when you use the switches?  Also, what have you decided with your chain order and placement of the Whammy II?  Did it track better in the front of your chain or after the compressor? 

You should post us some sweet sound samples for us to hear how badass your rig sounds!  What amp are you playing through?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 08, 2011, 02:08:39 AM
Helping Friendly -  That's a really sweet pedal board you built!  Is that the loop master that's raised in the center?  If so, how do you like it?  Is there a pop when you use the switches?  Also, what have you decided with your chain order and placement of the Whammy II?  Did it track better in the front of your chain or after the compressor? 

You should post us some sweet sound samples for us to hear how badass your rig sounds!  What amp are you playing through?

I wanna know this stuff too! Looks really unique. Are those power supplies behind it or are you using buffers also?

Helping Friendly

OK so I'll try to answer some of your questions.. The long raised pedal is the Looper. I love it! It has had no issues at all and I get no popping what so ever. I have all of my pedals hooked up to the Pedal Power for power except the RMC3, Whammy 2 and the Boomerang 3. Those 3 pedals are hooked up to a good quality power strip. What I came up with so far with placement order is this.. Comprosser > RMC3 > Whammy2 > Octron2 >TS9 >TS808 > Boomerang 3 > Gigrig Z Cable.... I might change things around but its good so far.. The reason I did it that way is because I want to leave the Ross on all the time and it sounded way better to me in front of the Wah Wah. So I went with that. Also since the wah is True bypass, I have that before the rest of the pedals which are in the Looper.  I did find the Whammy works best for me in front of my chain. I would never have the wah on if the whammy is on so its like it's FIRST after the Comprosser. Great tracking up front for sure. So the order might not be everyone's choice but that's the beauty of the looper. When a pedal's not being used it's like its not even there, so I had to put in to factor what pedals would be used together. My wah rack just broke so I haven't got to try it yet with the screamers, but that will be a very important factor in my placement. Unfortunately my amp needs an upgrade when I can afford a new one, but right now I am using a Behringer V-Tone with 2 Jensen 12'' in it. It does give me nice bass on the octron octave down though. One thing I want to work on is my sustain. I feel like I lost a little for some reason with this placement. IDK, maybe I just need to play with the knobs on the Comprossor and TS's..I will put some sound clips up as soon as I can.

Happyorange27

Hey, totally amazing pedal board. So clean, organized, and pleasing.

Please experiment with compressor after screamers. It takes some tweaking but you can get way more sustain in my experience.   Also comp up front is killing all your dynamics and nuances. You will rob the screamers from those nice little squeaks and harmonics. Just in my experience.

Try playing near your speaker too for more sustain. You need to establish that cyclical feedback to some extent.

Good luck on the amp upgrade next. That changed my world. I'm back to basic training camp. Great guitar and great amp. Add spices (pedals) slowly.

You are doing great man. Keep it up.