Good pedal for around $150

Started by MomaDan, October 18, 2011, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

Just sold my Qtron+ autowah pedal and am looking to pick up something new. I cant really decide what I want to make a move on. I only have a tremolo, reverb and TS9 right now. I'm looking at the Flashback delay, Timmy, any of the numerous wahs out there... Any good recommendations for something to start building a good board?
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

ColForbin

Considering what comprises your effects now, I would probably go with a wah pedal next.  Then delay, I would reckon you would use those much more than the Qtron, even though the Qtron+ is very cool.  Flashback delay is a good option to, but I would get a wah pedal first.  What kind of amp and guitar are you using?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

MomaDan

Im running a Les Paul Studio into a Vox AC15CC1 w/Greenback hence the reverb and trem. Theres always a lot of Cry Babys out there but I have heard a lot of bad things about them unmodded. Are there any major differences in the major wahs like RMC, Fulltone, or Budda? Except the obvious price :D
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Walker done done

I'd agree on the Wah.  But, there's also the Emma Discombobulator, which is a really sweet envelope filter.  Think of the Jerry sound on Estimated Prophet or Shakedown.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

Your not helping Walker haha I haven't completely sold my auto-wah yet. Fire on the Mountain was my inspiration for the buy

raisingfreen

I agree Wah is a logical choice. However for nice rhythm and lead sounds a good univibe is always nice to have. The Sweet Sound MoFaux is exactly $150 on many sites. Nice and simple and works for lots of occasions. I am really loving playing around with controllable trem speeds along with a mildly set univibe.

My inspiration for getting back into trem was the "Access Me" at Manchvegas show. Not quite as perfect as how he did it on the album but the slightly off speed timings were actually what made it sound so great.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

manicstarseed

$149= Nova Repeater
You can get a good Wah for $100 or less :)
http://www.strangedesign.org/rigs/details.php?artistID=3&equipmentID=14
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

sour d

Boss dd-7. That will give you reverse delay, short looper, modulation delay, plenty of fun. Or a compressor would be nice. Go to ebay and search "ross compressor". There are some ross clones in that price range or a late 70's dynacomp block logo (ross compressors were dynacomp copies).
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

If you hit the used market, you can get a variety of great pedals well within your price range. I picked up a 3leaf Proton for $130 (trade value) which to my ears does the old Mutron sound perfectly. There's a Flashback up there for $130 right meow, and you can look for a MoFaux on there for $90 or so. Every week or so a Repeater pops up for around $115 shipped. The best thing about that site is those guys know their gear and take great care of it. I am not selling any of those pedals I listed above. You can register for free and use the "search forum" thread and find whatever you want (within reason for the most part.)

That being said I have an Akai headrush EP-2 for $115 shipped. Delay/Echo/Looper all in one.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Brian27

Want to get a full rig for 5oo bucks get a Line 6 HD500 and some expression pedals and use regular overdrive and compressor pedals. I got a line 6 M13 and i have 12 diff rig setups