Trey using Made in Taiwan Ross Compressor

Started by cactuskeeb, July 20, 2013, 12:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

Don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet but Trey appears to have switched from the USA made Ross compressor to the Made in Taiwan version.  I think the USA made one in the first pic below (see that it doesn't have the rectangle around the Ross logo) is the one the PTers sent him and the Taiwan one (see the rectangle around the Ross logo) is in fact the Ross he used all through late 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.  But that's just my theory... ;)

First pic - from 2010 or thereabouts

Second pic - 2013

TheSeeker

Quote from: cactuskeeb on July 20, 2013, 12:12:47 AM
Don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet but Trey appears to have switched from the USA made Ross compressor to the Made in Taiwan version.  I think the USA made one in the first pic below (see that it doesn't have the rectangle around the Ross logo) is the one the PTers sent him and the Taiwan one (see the rectangle around the Ross logo) is in fact the Ross he used all through late 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.  But that's just my theory... ;)

First pic - from 2010 or thereabouts

Second pic - 2013

This is true...I've owned both of them and to me they sound identical.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Nice point Cactus - that info sounds familiar to me, but I don't think I would have 'known' that if someone asked me!

All I know is my Black Ross kicks the ass of any clone I've tried (although the clones are good too).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ShockedAndPersuaded

Notice he's swapped his screamers around too. Older pic is higher OD setting into the lower OD setting. Newer pic is opposite.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 20, 2013, 12:32:04 PM
Nice point Cactus - that info sounds familiar to me, but I don't think I would have 'known' that if someone asked me!

All I know is my Black Ross kicks the ass of any clone I've tried (although the clones are good too).

Your Black Ross is also identical to the grey Taiwanese Ross, except for the grey box.

Happyorange27

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on July 21, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
Notice he's swapped his screamers around too. Older pic is higher OD setting into the lower OD setting. Newer pic is opposite.
Good eye Shocked!  I guess that blows the old theory out the door.  Might have to try that tonight to see what it's like.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 23, 2013, 07:20:19 AM
Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on July 21, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
Good eye Shocked!  I guess that blows the old theory out the door.  Might have to try that tonight to see what it's like.

Yea, I could never get the right sound with the full-scream > the mild one.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Phabulous

It looks to me like he's also setting the levels higher on all three pedals (especially the Ross).

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Deadicated Phan

RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

cactuskeeb

Happyorange27

How did we all miss that until now. Shame!!!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Phabulous on July 31, 2013, 11:42:05 AM
It looks to me like he's also setting the levels higher on all three pedals (especially the Ross).

You normally want to set the level of your comp to match the gain (volume) of your amp.  Of course, you can set it a little higher if you want a clean boost.