ts9 on 12v or more

Started by sour d, September 30, 2009, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

from analogman's site:
Higher Voltage
For a clearer, purer sound you can try running the TS9/808 pedal at higher voltage, up to 16 Volts is safe. It may not be as warm sounding but some people prefer the higher voltage. It will give the pedal a little more output and headroom, more output before it clips and compresses. We sell a new 12V DC adaptor now, it sounds awesome with the silver mod and our chorus and compressor pedals (and many other pedals too). You can also use the Voodoo Labs Pedalpower2 which has options for 12V (outputs 1-4) or 16V (outputs 5 and 6).

I tried 12v on my ts9 silver mod and noticed a difference.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

I recall posting a thread identical to yours a couple years ago.  Now that I think about it, though, I may not have noticed a difference at all; instead, I think I was so proud of having offered this info to the forum that I really didn't care about the supposed improvement in sound.  Not to mention the fact that no one could confirm or deny, at the time, whether Trey was running his screamers on voltages far in excess of spec. 

What is the actual difference you're hearing?

sour d

I was able to a/b it with my other ts9 silver running on 9v and to my ears the difference was more clarity or high end sparkle I guess and there was more output (it was louder). I'm going to stick with it. I almost always have my first one on so that one is going to get the 12v.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

Just thinking about going to 12 volt on my silver.  Anyone else have any input?  No posts for years on this thread.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 30, 2011, 12:52:05 PM
Just thinking about going to 12 volt on my silver.  Anyone else have any input?  No posts for years on this thread.
Just try it. It can't hurt.

patrickstefanski

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 30, 2011, 12:52:05 PM

My silvers were always at 12.  Definitely a better sound IMO.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

fulltone1989

It has more headroom at 12v than 9v. It is clearer but you won't get as much drive.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Yep I just hot-wired a wall plug for my neon guitar sign and put those 12 volts on the silver. Yep it's cleaner and roomier. Does anyone know if Trey uses higher voltage on his?  I can see using the higher on the rhythm screamer but not the dirty one.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex