just messing around in my mancave

Started by HunSanity, January 26, 2010, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunSanity

i was having entirely too good a day, so i figured i'd throw this out here to get ripped to shreads by you guitar guru's (kidding)

but what the hell i figured i'd see what you dudes thought.  please forgive me though as i am not tryign to be exact..  just messing around having some fun with my new lap top (is a built in camera, nothing special)... i origionally filmed myself in the first place just to show my dad and friends in diff states what i been up too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKGn1rEmMxU

thanks in advance for taking the time if you watch.  peace all.

Walker done done

I applaud your putting yourself up there for review.  The video, as you know, is quite dark, which is dissapointing.  But your playing is decent, and I'd like to hear it within a band context as I think it would highlight your strenghts better.  You've got a good ear, and I like the tone you've got going in this video.  You've even got a fan in the audience in your dog!  Keep 'em coming man, good stuff.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

HunSanity

wow thanks done done.  much appreciated.  yeah my dimmer "chill out" light im my basement happens to be behind me, but ill def have to brighten it up i hear you...and yes it is tough keeping it going without drums or bass to help me stay home..but i have a blast none the less, but you said it dude its a world of diff when you can play with a drummer (which is rare for me, ha)

and i checked out your myspace a while ago good stuff by you as well.  thanks dude.

Walker done done

Quote from: HunSanity on January 26, 2010, 01:56:14 PMand i checked out your myspace a while ago good stuff by you as well.  thanks dude.

Thanks, but that stuff is super old (or was, I just updated it last week).

Go to our Facebook page for recent clips, found in the lower left hand corner: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Heavy-Dime/112079215276?ref=search&sid=1177592720.1469239014..1
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Do you have a looper?

I'd suggest maybe looking into one. One thing I think would benefit you is trying to play along with a drum track/metronome that sets a tempo for you. I feel like your timing is a little inconsistent within your jam...

Otherwise, I like how you are trying to "play the notes" rather then "play a lot of notes." If you know what I mean. 46 days is a really fun tune to jam out in the mancave with!

Hope that advice helps. Take it for what it's worth, I think we are probably about the same skill level. But fwiw- i never play without a tap tempo metronome, and it has greatly helped me especially playing with other people. It helps you develop your 'inner timming,' and it also helps train your ear to always listen and play with the beat.

Cheers
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

HunSanity

i hear you dude thanks for the tip!!  funny you mention a metronome, my buddy (who is a drummer) suggested one as well.. i guess i am way more off with my tempo then i realize..haha 

but that said, considering im only playing with a bass and drum line etched into my brain it isnt that bad (for the cave, anyway) haha  but yes thanks for the tip i am all over it..

i dont know anything about them as far as what to get though so i have to do my research.  ill google the "tap" one you just mentioned...i would need something where i dont need to rely on hearing it, but rather seeing something flash i guess...

and thanks on the notes comment!!, i know what you mean.. as far as 46 days, its really fun i agree... i guess it was only appropriate that 46 is a song i didnt even have to sit down and learn.. i cant go to a ph show withOUT hearing that freaking tune..  its one of those that you can play without even needing to cheat (aka use the tabe on this site). haha .  actually i have this recurring dream where i go see ph and they play 46 days 46 times in a row and i keep screaming "fuck lee fordam!!!."  (kidding)

picture_of_nectar

lol

yeah loopers serve a dual purpose. most of them have a built in metronome that you can set by tapping your foot. some have built in drum tracks. then obviously with a looper you can set down a simple bass line, then layer over a chord progression, then work on your solos and phrasing over that. Just adds more layers and dynamics to your practice time. Once you nail the tempo you start to feel like a one man band...a/la Keller Williams.

At the very least try practicing even with a cheap metronome. it's the best advice I ever got as a noob a couple years ago. Your drummer friend is totally right, and he's telling you that because in order to play well together you need to be able to stay in time with him.
have fun man
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

HunSanity

thanks man will do.. for what its worth though IF i played with him (he lives far) he would just be the metro.. but i never played with him, unfortunately.  he was more so telling me based off of this clip.. but either way im all over it and am getitng one.  i would love a looper i wouldnt leave my basement.. haha

anyway thanks agian for the tip dude ill have to get one asap.

sour d

Thanks for posting the link. I thought it was good. I definetly agree that a looper can be great tool. I never really tried to go through whole songs from begining to end until I got a looper. I would just practice a part of one song then move on to another thing. When I got a looper I started building songs layer by layer a lot. Chords first, then throw a bass line over it, then practice soloing over that. I think it helped me a bunch.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

harrywood

I think the metronome/looper w/ metronome are great tools and would help a lot. I definitely will say though, I think your natural timing is interesting. You have a somewhat conservative approach. like a tight slow pulling approach that I like. The style sorta reminds me of Wolfman's Brother on Slips Stitch and Pass... you should give that a listen if you havent yet.
This is Bruce...

HunSanity

thanks guys .. appreciate the comments and more so the tips!! so last night out of curiosity (since i have my laptop sititng on my bar anyway) i googled "online metronome" and boom,. i had a free one right up on my screen.  i def could already tell a difference right away and that was with a free clicking jaunt, and i could barely hear it.. yet somehow it still helped me stay on track with my timing ( duh to me on this one for not just doing this sooner , i already knew they were helpful)... i cant wait to get a better one / looping station..

and yes harrywood (funny name) i used to listen to the slip stich back in the day .. 

Poster

emils tabs has some drum/bass loops that a helpful to jam with too hu! keep it up mang ;D

HunSanity

strangedesign

Quote from: posternutbag on January 27, 2010, 11:47:47 AM
emils tabs has some drum/bass loops that a helpful to jam with too hu! keep it up mang ;D
there is alink to it in the chords pages
www.strangedesign.org/chords

if any of you want to put some loops together, i'd love to create a page to host those.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org