Main Menu

Bought a Ross

Started by picture_of_nectar, August 08, 2009, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

1979, real clean looking.

we'll see how it compares to the Bi-Comp, maybe selling the Bi-Comp soon.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 08, 2009, 09:21:23 PM
1979, real clean looking.

we'll see how it compares to the Bi-Comp, maybe selling the Bi-Comp soon.

I was hoping for some pics!  Break her open!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

Lol the day you posted this I had happened to take mine off my board Lol. Iam going for that grittier GRAB style trey tone now ;0)

picture_of_nectar

I'll post a pic of my updated rig when the Ross arives.

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 09, 2009, 03:26:10 PM
I'll post a pic of my updated rig when the Ross arives.

Hey picture_of_nectar.....take a picture_of_the_ross.....insides brother, we need inside pics.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Ok, I'll take the cover off. What does it require, just a phillips head screw driver?

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 10, 2009, 01:10:33 PM
Ok, I'll take the cover off. What does it require, just a phillips head screw driver?

Most likely.  You'll know when it arrives though!  :D

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

Ross is back on my board.

picture_of_nectar

poster do you have a vintage ross or a clone? or both?

thoughts?

If this thing isn't significantly better/different then the analogman I am going to sell it for what I bought it for.

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 10, 2009, 06:38:36 PM
poster do you have a vintage ross or a clone? or both?

thoughts?

If this thing isn't significantly better/different then the analogman I am going to sell it for what I bought it for.

Which was how much?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

cactuskeeb

Don't listen to Walker, he's just extremely jealous of your 100% real ross compressor. 

sour d

I sold my vintage ross after I got my bicompressor. The analogman just sounded better. I recently got a barge concepts rc-2 as a back up to my bicomp and that sounds just as good as either of them. Save some money and get a good clone. 35 year old pedals just aren't as reliable. And just in case you ever want to shut it off, clones are usually true bypass, something they didn't think of 30+ years ago. In my experiences less noise than the vintage too.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

GDCSH-1

I've had a keeley comp for about 4 years now and its a great quality pedal, been happy with it ever since, I have never got to experience a Ross though...
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

raisingfreen

I will second mention of the Keeley Comp. I tried the 4 knob and the 2, and went with the 2 knob. Just seemed easier to dial in and forget about it. I have played a Ross and found it very noisy. Maybe Trey or others send them in to be tweaked a bit with better parts/connections etc... Or maybe there are simply just good ones and bad ones.

Just curious has anyone ever tried using a built in compressor via a mod board in your guitar? One of the options I am considering with some repairs being done for me by AO Guitars, is to have an Overdrive and maybe a Compressor built in... right into the cavity taking the place of two of my existing knobs. Leaving the controls to be (3 way toggle/Master Volume/Master Tone/Overdrive/Compressor/and a CAE CB1 buffer. I may have to do without the comp in there as the buffer takes up a bit of space. I always thought this would be a cool idea to have built in overdrive and possibly compression. Has anyone actually tried anything like this. The components are coming from www.guitarfetish.com. They have a bunch of cool electronics and mod boards that can be put into your guitar. Only downside is they have no sound samples so you have to experiment. The prices seemed reasonable however.

Is this a crazy idea? I just figured if the two pedals I actually use the most are just built right into the guitar then it would be a simple usable setup.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

sounds pretty epic! id do it just to see what happens.