Main Menu

Bought a Ross

Started by picture_of_nectar, August 08, 2009, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

I have the two nob version and haven't messed with the attack trimmer on the inside, left the setting as it came. I was thinking of getting the four knob version but i came to the conclusion i wouldn't make sense considering im completely happy with the two knob and theres nothing that needs two be adjusted in terms of the clipping or attack, I highly recommend the Keeley comp, even though its a little pricey its worth every penny.
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

picture_of_nectar

Hey Guys, well I finnaly got the Ross in my rig. It sounds buttery smooth. I'd descibe it's tone as rich and fat....sounds fucking awesome to me. It's kinda noisy, but no more then the Bi-Comp. Side by side the Bi-Comp Ross sounds thin and nasaly (kinda weak) to me. But keep in mind this is on low volume with all the knobs at 12, so maybe I just didn't have it dialed in.

Pics of my Rig:

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

picture_of_nectar

nOOb question here, will the battery be drained if I dont turn it off after every use? gunna be hard to remember...

it has an old school power jack.

Poster

gotta unplug it completely  or it will eat batteries like a murf :D

oh and crank the level knob to max and leave the sustain at 12. You leave that bitch wide open to really hear its glory.

sour d

They make adapters for that. I used to use them on my old ross and my old dod 250. Your power supply (boss/onespot/etc.) plugs into it and it into the 1/8" jack on your ross. They are a couple inches long and cost maybe $3.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 19, 2009, 02:05:15 PM
[. . .] got the Ross in my rig. It sounds buttery smooth. I'd descibe it's tone as rich and fat....sounds fucking awesome to me. It's kinda noisy, but no more then the Bi-Comp. Side by side the Bi-Comp Ross sounds thin and nasaly (kinda weak) to me.

Bingo.

(edit:) Yours looks really clean on the inside.  Nice score.

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: posternutbag on August 19, 2009, 04:07:32 PM
gotta unplug it completely  or it will eat batteries like a murf :D

hey poster, are you saying I need to unplug the cables too? Not just hit the switch???

Poster

unplug all 1/4 cables  :D

another setting to try is volume at 7 o clock and sustain at like 1. I cranked my overdrive all the way up before it and it sounds pretty neat

Walker done done

Quote from: posternutbag on August 24, 2009, 05:42:03 PM
unplug all 1/4 cables  :D

another setting to try is volume at 7 o clock and sustain at like 1. I cranked my overdrive all the way up before it and it sounds pretty neat

Funny you mention that, I did that trick about 2 weeks ago and also enjoyed it.  They could hear my sustain in Korea  :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.