Cleaning up my tone

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, November 04, 2009, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

Im playin a gibson studio through a Fender DR, Boomerang +, Crybaby 535 Q, Ts9 (silver)x2, Analogman Bicomp, Whammy 2, in that order and im tryin to clean up my tone a bit. Right now the tone is nice and warm and thick but its a bit to distorted, even with only 1 Ts9 engaged. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

I would consider  getting a little bypass switchbox like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBERT-KEELEY-TRUE-BYPASS-LOOPER-SWITCHER-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ230385534016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item35a40c4440

And isolating the Boomerang and Whammy into a seperate loop. That should improve your clean tone considerably.  
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

ColForbin

Good call picture of nectar,

Also, I would place an order with George L to get some solderless cables on the go.  Some right angle plugs and about 30' cable that you can cut to your liking.  These two things combined, I have found will do wonders for your tone.

Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

YouEnjoyMyReba

thanks fellas i really appreciate it
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

You could also have a true bypass switch added to your wah by keeley or garmopat, that would clean it up when off...

sour d

I'm probably reading it wrong, but do you have your boomerang first in the line up? I would definetly put it last. What are your tubescreamer/bicomp settings? Put your wah after the tubescreamers and comp so your not amplifying that noise. Right now I'm using a radial engineering big shot to cut some effects out of the signal path. It gives you 2 loops and they are not expensive.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

YouEnjoyMyReba

you read it right i have the boomerang first followed by the wah.  Im gonna try placing them like u suggested. thanks agiain

picture_of_nectar

Seems like you allways wanna run the looper last so you can loop your effected tones...

The Boomerang and Whammy 2 are known to be pretty horrible 'tone suckers'.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thats what i hear and experienced.  I recently noticed the level knob on the back of the whammy 2.  Ive been keeping it at about 12 o clock (at least i think 12, the kobs kinda faded so i marked it with white out).  It helps a little bit but adds a  bit more noise

picture_of_nectar

Another note...the Analogman Bi-Comp is a noisy pedal. Bet you notice a big difference with it on vs off.

YouEnjoyMyReba

oh yea definetly. my next investment will be for an RMC3 but once i get enough money im gonna get a new compressor. any suggestions?

cactuskeeb

Don't waste your money on a RMC3.  Get a crybaby and have it modified by Poster's guy or somebody else.

picture_of_nectar

I really love my Garmopat Wah.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thanks for the suggestions ill take them into consideration.  So i moved the boomerand to the end of the chain and the wah behind the comp.  I like the new position of the wah but the boomerand clips like crazy at the end of the chain and the only way to cut down on that is to decrease the trim knob which adds more noise

YouEnjoyMyReba