Main Menu

Got a new comp.

Started by ShockedAndPersuaded, July 18, 2010, 11:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShockedAndPersuaded

I've had a CompRosser for about 2 1/2 years now and here lately I've just been disappointed with the way it sounds.  So I decided to put in some research time and try to find another comp.  After pages of honeymoon reviews and what not I still couldn't decide.  One night my bass player and I are sitting in the studio doing some mix downs on our latest album effort (which will finally be finished soon!!!) when I started telling him of my latest quest.  He suggested I try the FMR Audio RNC 1773.  I thought it was used primarily for studio use only.  I was blown away when i plugged it into the chain!!!  My problem with all my past comps are the way it takes away the highs and mushes the bottom end.  This comp leaves your original tone in tact.  Completely.  It's not a stomp box so there is no switching on or off on the fly but I always leave mine on anyway so it works out.  I thought I was just being amazed at the way it has improved my tone and then I went out and played Friday night.  I received more comments and compliments on my sound then I have ever had!  I know that tone is subject to the listener but if any of you are ever looking for a new comp, this one is worth considering!!! 
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Walker done done

Great to hear you found one that makes you happy.  You didn't record your show by chance did you?

And how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ShockedAndPersuaded

Thanks Walker.  It is pretty cool when you do find that one piece (or several) that makes everything come together and inspires you.  As for the recordings, we didn't record that night.  I wish we did.  It was one of those good nights all around.  We played good, sounded good, had drunk chicks dancin' on us on stage, and got some titty flashes too!!  I haven't had one of those nights in a LONG time!!!   The band that played that night was a different one from the one that is finishing the album.  This band is a blues, southern jam rock and roll type band.  Ala Moe meets Umphry meets Allmans with a little Phish all wrapped into one.  We do mostly older blues with a jam approach.  It's all covers.  I know it sounds odd but it works.   All we have is a FB page.  No web site.  The other band that is recording is all original.  As soon as we get some stuff ready I'll post some clips. 

Oh and I paid $140 for the comp.  You can buy them new for anywhere between 140-175.  It is WAY under priced for the results you get!!
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)