Bypass loop box problem????

Started by picture_of_nectar, November 28, 2010, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Hey guys, maybe y'all can help me. Although I'm worried the only solution is to send it back.

I bought a Analogman True Bypass switchbox on eBay recently. It has two switches, one switches between A and B loops, and one to bypass the loops.

Right now I had all my modulation effects running through the B loop. The A loop goes out to my phrase looper, but instead of returning just goes to my 2nd amp.

So the problem is sometimes when I engage or disengage the B loop with my effects the volume is cut about in half and sounds thin.  This seems to happen randomly and going either in or out of tge B effects loop. A loop out to my phrase looper/amp seems to work fine. Sometimes there is 0 volume when I engage or disengage the switch. 

The loop box had a battery in it for the display lights. And also has a 9v adapter. Problem seems to happen either way.

So, any ideas why this volume cut may be happening? Do I need to send it back?

Thanks
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

Shitty. I'll try to help. The battery or power supply have nothing to do with it. They just power the led's. It doesn't seem right to me that the A loop doesn't return to the true bypass loop. Analogman site says this:
Dual loop box. A or B send/return loop chosen with left button, or bypass the loops with the BYPASS button. This way, only one of the 2 loops can be used. There may be oscillation problems if high gain pedals are used in an A/B loop box as we cannot kill the unused loop. If you use high gain pedals, better to have a seperate switch for each loop, then we can kill the signal in the unused loop to kill any noise problems.
This could also be built with seperate A and B loop buttons, then both or neither loops could be selected and no noise problems.

It sounds to me like mike splits the input signal as he says they "cannot kill the unused loop". It would make sense that the B loop volume drops in half because the signal goint to the A loop is not returning. It's always hard to try and figure stuff like this out without it being right in front of you so that is my best guess. Try setting it up simple with just one pedal in each loop with both A and B loops returning to the pedal and go from the output to the amp. If you still have problems then there may be a bad switch on the pedal.

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

Yeah what's weird is that sometimes it works great, then outa nowhere either half sound or no sound. Loop A can be off and B sometimes won't work.

Also, although this box looks exactly like the one in AMs description, it will run both A and B at the same time. So I can have my effects on though B and A engaged so that the effected signal goes out to the phrase looper and second amp.

I'll have to try returning the Phrase looper signal through loop A to the main loop and see what happens. 

Poster

probably a patch cable. you need to test them often.

picture_of_nectar

I think the cables are good.

When the A loop is complete to return to the Main amp instead of going out to the secondary amp there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Problem occurs totally randomly otherwise.

Weird.

sour d

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 29, 2010, 03:27:23 PM
I think the cables are good.

When the A loop is complete to return to the Main amp instead of going out to the secondary amp there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Problem occurs totally randomly otherwise.
That's what I was thinking. You should shoot analogman an email and ask him about the randomness when loop A doesn't return.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

if the problem occurs randomly its probably a bad cable. 9/10 times. Sure things can get bad solder joint but not likely if you arent beating the shit out of your gear.

picture_of_nectar

Nope, testing proves it's definately the pedal.

Sometimes I get 1/2 volume, or completely dead. Happens randomly in both A+B loops. I took the backplate off but couldn't see any obvious issuse.

Sending it in I guess.