Main Menu

DIY Cab

Started by gone phishing, January 09, 2012, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gone phishing

Anybody ever do this? I'm considering making a 2x12 cab (found some speakers laying around in our store). So the real question is, has anybody done this? I have seen some designs/videos and it appears to be rather easy.

IamWILSON

Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult for anyone with a little experience with woodworking and simple electronics.  And as I say that, I don't fit that category, but one of my goals for the new year is to learn how to do work on my own amps and effects pedals.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

gone phishing

I mean I have the work space to do everything, and someone to ask if I need help with electronics, but I see online that it is quite easy if you're using only 2 speakers.

fulltone1989

My only suggestion is to use finger joints when connecting the wood together. I bet there's some useful TGP info about this subject
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

its a huge waste of time. Ive made my own dovetailed cabs before, out of pine, and honestly, cabinets are big and bulky. And due to that, they are always for sale second hand. Go get you a 1200 dollar cabinet for 400 from some poor bastard. Check the guitar center used search engine, if you dont like it, just return it within 30 days, and get something else. Cant go wrong with pretty much any boutique builders cabs as long as they arent some obviously strange cut for some particular head, ie a micro cab.

fulltone1989

Avatar cabs custom builds them to your specs, down to the tolex. I don't think they're too pricey, comparatively. Contact AO guitars and see if he'll make you something! Or at least the cab part and you can add your own speakers.

That being said I saw a Tone Tubby unloaded 2x12 for $250 shipped on the Gear Page. I am not affiliated with the seller.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

gone phishing

I'm still not sure if I'm going to attempt to build it or not. I may do it in spare time and have nothing better to do. So, I'm not sure haha

sour d

Quote from: gone phishing on January 11, 2012, 10:09:52 PM
I'm still not sure if I'm going to attempt to build it or not. I may do it in spare time and have nothing better to do. So, I'm not sure haha
Do or do not. There is no spare time.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

Quote from: sour d on January 12, 2012, 12:47:29 AM
Yoda this is true.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

gone phishing

Quote from: sour d on January 12, 2012, 12:47:29 AM
Oh shit that was real yoda-like

IamWILSON

yoda-like, you are.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).