ColForbin's 2012 rig

Started by ColForbin, March 27, 2012, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Soundcloud is good. If you can record in stereo, it will accept that too.  I've got good recording on there and so do many of these guys.

So what is the difference in inductors on that wah?  I've never been able to A/B inductors on the spot.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on August 06, 2012, 07:29:18 AM
Thanks dudes.

The CAE wah is a great sounding wah.  It has two inductors in it, which are switchable via a button on the right side of the wah.  There is another button on the left that allows you to turn on a boost, which has an external knob for boost level.  I really like it, sounds great and is well made.  I could tell a huge difference when I switched from the crybaby.

The J-Drive is a dandy od pedal.  Basically, I like having my overdrive set and have a some extra grit available for soloing.  So, the key to that is the boost, which will drive the overdrive a little harder when on.  It can also be used for a clean boost if the drive side is not engaged.  It's very versatile, the warmth knob can get very smooth overdrive tones, to down right slutty rock tone, it's great.  Those guys are close by too, which is cool for me.  Halifax, NS is about a 3.5 hour drive from where I'm at.  They are super helpful and always take my calls.  Top notch dudes making top notch pedals.  I'm a huge fan of that Diamond Trem as well, it's awesome.

I'll have to get on the sound clips, any suggestions or is sound cloud just as good as any?

I personally like to use Soundcloud, really easy to record straight onto my Iphone and upload for rough ideas.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Soundcloud seems to be the industry standard, so to speak. No complaints about it here.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Just ordered a Polytune Mini.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 12, 2013, 12:46:53 PM
Just ordered a Polytune Mini.

Would've sold you mine! I got a Turbo Tuner, love it so far.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 12, 2013, 03:05:03 PM
Now you tell me!  :P

See if you can cancel your order? Idk it may be worth having the return policy. I also feel dweeby spamming here. Mine comes with free velcro though, can't beat that!

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

the Turbo Tune is pretty ridiculous (in a good way)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 12, 2013, 11:26:29 PM
the Turbo Tune is pretty ridiculous (in a good way)

Totally dig the strobe, brings me band to my HS jazz band daze

Poster

that polytune mini is a junk toy eric. the second edition polytune 2 is available for preorder now, and supposedly corrected some of the many issues with those things. ive spent a great deal of time with the pro guitar shop crew lately, and there is no doubt in my mind some of those tc pedals from 2 years ago should not be relied on. lots of QC issues in asia.

if you guys want to buy chinese made toys, you can buy them directly from the factories at aliexpress.com

they even the famed echoplex preamp booster, the bb booster, etc is on there for 20 something dollars.

now mind you, my advice is always for people to seek out equipment that could work on a tour, without a tech holding your weary paw, and really a garage band, 3 shows a year situation is not of my concern. one of my favorite people on earth, Steve Selvidge (amazing player) has a whole house full of old junkie pedals, and its totally cool for that. Same with Luther Dickinson.

Buying into marketing is fun. Hell buying affordable gadgets that seem to work and get loud is fun. Buying old shit and fixing it can be fun too! But guess what? There are probably far fewer 'great' guitar players in this country than you think, and of those even fewer have decent tone or a real practical understanding of gear, as they are fucking broke asses, or not, and complacent now that they are finally making money. Id pin the number at around 40-50 people nationally. And each one of them has a different opinion...

Bottom line, is peace and love everybody, but, I will still laugh in your face if you gig out with a PCB amp, or buy mini pedals that arent point to point. Why? Because Ive actually had shit like that break on me before in front of a hall of people, and laughing is about all you can do.

Happyorange27

I haven't even plugged that fucker in and now I feel bad about my decision.  :P  It's cool, I'll have to see how I like it.  I'm practicing for my next garage gig in 9 months from now.

Thanks for dropping by dude.

Poster

No worries. And I wasnt jabbing at you broseph. Like I said, there about 40-50 players in this entire country that are chasing that dragon.

Way back when I thought it mattered, this forum was about being the absolute best you can be, in regards to equipment. Some people take it literally, with the Trey rig deprogramming; I took it more reading between the lines, climbing toward a state of nirvana or something, and never found it -- as each rig is completely different.

Now when I pop in a couple times a year its really sad to see many of my opinions regurgitated by people that led the witch hunt, now actually agreeing with me, verbatim. (recommending the tone tubby in a pcb fender amp, huh walker) Take a long hard look at why you love playing music. Is it because its a great hobby? Is it because you have always been the best player in your neighborhood growing up? Gettin' Pussy? Or have you convinced yourself its something greater?

It still amazing to me, that I can go out, and see a band that has some killer players in it (Robert Walters 20th for example) and their guitar player blows. How you can sit around fucking with gear for endless hours and not just be horrified by some turd sandwich just slapping down a blues driver and calling it a lazy day. Fuck that shit. The information is out there. Ive seen some pedal boards over the last year that literally made my skin crawl -- a danelectro mini blt and your playing the rose garden? Go fuck your mother.

Anyway, best of luck gang. Miss some of your much less than the others that I dont miss at all. Kidding! Go get um guys!

Happyorange27

Quote from: Poster on September 16, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
The information is out there. Ive seen some pedal boards over the last year that literally made my skin crawl -- a danelectro mini blt and your playing the rose garden? Go fuck your mother.

Oh man, I just laughed.

It used to be about the pussy.  Now it's about the higher level of vibes and transporting my audience.  I actually had the coolest yoga, hippie crowd at my gig last month.  It's was a great ordeal.

Poster

just for reference im using a hand wired 50 watt 6l6 dumble / tweedish type amp my friend made, with an 'open' backed 1x12 mojo tone cabinet (yup I went open back after changing to this most recent amp! and old nod to AO's criticism). Guitar is an handmade languedoc style archtop guitar with ebony top, koa sides, koa back. Schaller golden 50 in the neck, unpotted 59' in the bridge, hipshot tuners, huge tone cap, super pots. Backup is a home made thinline tele with bucket head button, with very unusual coil/phase tapped fender wide range buckers (we had to take them apart), with it wired wide open vol/vol. Using far fewer pedals, as Im in the studio 100 percent now, but that will change in about 3 months when I actually get to do something.

The newest dumbest (expensive) coolest thing Ive found lately is these power cleansing toys. It runs about 8 million dollars for basically what amounts to a power strip with this big ugly adapter that goes into the wall. My last mini transformer gadget had been made for computer applications, and worked pretty ok, but it would not filter out some slight interference, on random occasion. Once I get more hours on this new thing, Ill report back with a link, but I dont want everybody running out and charging up a card for something that breaks.

--- huah! cheers