Main Menu

Trey's new rig

Started by ColForbin, May 31, 2011, 01:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Ok, so a lot of things are the same with Trey's rig, you got your 2xTS9'S, the reemergence of the Ross Compressor, at least for Phish shows anyways, but he's got some new tricks and new toys on the go.  Is there any chance of updating the rig section?  I've noticed a few things, and I'm not all that astute.

#1)  Perhaps the most obvious change is the guitar,....The Docelot.

#2)  Trey is no longer using the custom Fender amp switch, to go between the two channels of the DR.  You can tell on the videos they post on facebook (hosted on vimeo) that he is exclusively using his volume knob on his guitar to control his level and the amount of dirt he's getting.  I am only assuming that amp switch was for solos, but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe he always used his volume knob.

#3)  The amp situation itself.  The Boogie is definitely back, has been for a while, but sometimes the DR is there too, running into the other cab.

#4)  Trey is using a TC Electronics Nova Repeater Delay - which is a dandy piece of delay awesomeness.

These are just the things I noticed, there's probably a ton more....I think we could use some updates.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

jadirusso

Good point Walker..
This brings to mind one thing that's been bugging me.. I have a TC Nova repeater delay and when I use it in my rig right before my boomerang it causes some noise that I need to find a way to eliminate. If I remove the Nova repeater the noise goes away completely.. I know a bypass loop will help when I'm not using it but how can I get rid of the noise when I want to use the thing. Any suggestions? 
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Walker done done

Quote from: jadirusso on May 31, 2011, 01:43:15 PM
Good point Walker..  

Sure, no problem!  ;D

Nothing better than getting credit for something I never did!  LOL

But to Forbin's point, yes, we should update the rig section.

Scott....you around?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

jadirusso

hahaha.. that's funny guess I still have some fog from the weekend in my head.. Good point Forbin..
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

ColForbin

Quote from: jadirusso on May 31, 2011, 01:43:15 PM
Good point Walker..  

Shit son, I've been called a lot worse.  

Quote from: jadirusso on May 31, 2011, 01:43:15 PMThis brings to mind one thing that's been bugging me.. I have a TC Nova repeater delay and when I use it in my rig right before my boomerang it causes some noise that I need to find a way to eliminate. If I remove the Nova repeater the noise goes away completely.. I know a bypass loop will help when I'm not using it but how can I get rid of the noise when I want to use the thing. Any suggestions?

Back to your issue....my TC Electronic flashback is super quiet and I'm surprised you are experiencing issues.  I wonder if the Nova is just reacting badly with the Boomerang or vice versa?  Some pedals just don't like each other.  I would put the rang in the loop and just leave the flashback where it is if I were you.  Actually while I was at it, I would put the Whammy II and the Rang in a loop (or two) and just take them out of that signal path.  Something like this:

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut->Q-tron->RMC2->Fullton OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Nova Repeater->True Bypass looper ->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Loop 1:  Whammy II
Loop 2:  Boomerang

Or, with a single loop; Whammy II->Boomerang

That's just my not so humble opinion, but I bet you would notice a clarity difference in you tone by getting the whammy and rang out of the signal path.  That and I think it would solve your Nova repeater noise issue.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

jadirusso

Yeah I was thinking maybe it's the two digital delay type pedals being back to back like that. Maybe I have a bad Nova Repeater.. Anyone else have one without the noise??
Joe

ColForbin

Quote from: jadirusso on May 31, 2011, 02:44:19 PM
Yeah I was thinking maybe it's the two digital delay type pedals being back to back like that. Maybe I have a bad Nova Repeater.. Anyone else have one without the noise??

You know what dude, pull the repeater out and try it with your guitar and amp and nothing else.  Guitar->Nova->amp.  If the noise is there, it's definitely an issue with the Nova.  If it's not, it could be those two pedals not making nice.
Current rig: 

jadirusso

Quote from: ColForbin on May 31, 2011, 02:50:41 PM
You know what dude, pull the repeater out and try it with your guitar and amp and nothing else.  Guitar->Nova->amp.  If the noise is there, it's definitely an issue with the Nova.  If it's not, it could be those two pedals not making nice.

Exactly what I am going to do.. for some reason tho I think I remember using the Nova without the Rang before and not having a noise issue.
Joe

ColForbin

Cool brother, make sure you report back,...I'm curious.

But yeah, back to updating Trey's rig....are there any new things that I am missing???
Current rig: 

jadirusso

heh yeah sorry for hijacking the thread..
I did notice at Bethel it seems the Bruno cabinet is now gone..
Joe

Poster

your overdrive pedals are clipping the input, try using the HI input russo

IamWILSON

^^^^poster may be right.  I run my nova repeater into an Ibanez DML II (modulation delay) and then into my Rang and have never experienced any problems with the Nova Repeater (in fact I think mine is really clean and quiet).  You might want to see if the the db knob on the Rang can clean some of that up.  Sometimes I notice my rig having some excess noise on occasion, and I've figured out that it has to do with my Microverb being used in the effects loop, oddly enough.  I'm goin to my gig early tonight to test a couple different things out before we soundcheck. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

ColForbin

By the way, can anybody tell me what Trey is using for an amp on this current tour???  I can't see the DR or the Boogie in any of the pics I've seen.  Any show goers?
Current rig: 

Brian27

Boogie behind one cab and DR behind other cab

ColForbin

Quote from: Brian27 on June 03, 2011, 03:37:12 PM
Boogie behind one cab and DR behind other cab

Cool, I know that's what it was fall 2010, (from the Trey's rig - Oct. 2010 thread) just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Upon looking at that pic again, I can totally see why I can't tell from any of the photos on their facebook page, which amp it is.  Thanks for the confirmation Brian.
Current rig: