Questions regarding the Mods done to Trey's DR??

Started by hellbornelfchild, February 10, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellbornelfchild

Hello everyone, I have been trying to find the exact mods done to Trey's Fender Deluxe Reverb. I know it says,
The first tube that the guitar signal meets inside the amp is a 12AT7 (instead of 12AX7). The "Vibrato" circuit was reconfigured into a "midrange boost" (we added another pot and knob to the front face of the amp where the 2nd input usually went). We replaced the stock speaker (Utah 12") with a Celestion Blue Alnico 12".
But everywhere I look I find info. on revoicing the Normal Channel, not the Vibrato Channel, like it says on every Phish/Trey Gear site I found. It kinda makes sense some people would want to add a mid boost to the normal channel and leaving the vibrato channel alone because its nice to add a trem effect to a clear clean sound.   This site they talk about this (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/161972-revoicing-normal-channel-deluxe-reverb.html  )...Also, whatever channel it happens to be that is the midrange boosted one I am also curious as to how you would go about this, and how diffcult it would be? Any, and all information would really help, and be much appreciated.

Heady Jam Fan

I can't say I know anything about the specifics - I assume the mid boost has to do with capacitors or a complete tone stack.

The idea is the mid boost serves to give that little extra for leads. I have two channels on my amp and opted for clean and dirty rather than mid boost because I also play classic rock. Instead I use a Fromel Shape for a mid boost and I think it works well - probably not getting the exact voicing Trey has on his amp, but I am getting something that sounds good to me. If you had the mid boost active when playing rhythm, it would sound too tonally closed / muddy / dark, but it is really helpful for focusing and smoothing out leads.

Along with that, the AT7 in V1 can sound a bit harsh, I've only found a use for them as Phase Inverters personally. If you are only doing the Trey thing, go for it - the TS will probably round off the harsh top end, but for other types of music, I think it would be undesirable (ie, such as classic rock). I even though about going in what might be tonally the opposite direction with a 5751 (ie SRV) which is creamier, but I stuck with the NOS 12AX7A's that came in my amp ('65 Bassman), they sound great and are very quiet.

If you want the trem/vibrato channel, I suspect you don't just play Phish, so you may not want all the adjustments Trey has.?. If that is the case, I would suggest a good Fender amp (read - not a stock RI). This means either a vintage, a boutique replica or upgrading a stock, modern version - at least tubes and speaker, possibly output transformer on certain amps (particularly the Blues Junior). Switching to a British voiced speaker similar to the C Blue (or a C Blue if you have the money) will help a lot and I think it generally sounds good with a Fender, taming the top end and bass, adding some upper midrange snappiness. I have both an Eminence Red Fang and a Weber Blue Dog - I am currently using the Red Fang as it is already broken in, the Blue Dog is brand new so it is sitting around for now until someone needs it or I have a lot of time to put in on it.

I couldn't find the specs/schematic for the amp mods either as I wanted to know specifically what was done as well. I know the same guys who modded Trey's DR will do it for consumers, but it is pricey! There was a used one listed for sale not long ago, I think it was listed around $3k. If you are committed to this tone and have the dime, go for it, if not, I would go with what I suggested above.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

The V1 is actually 12AX7 and the second tube is the lower gain tube.  I know I know, it was interpreted wrong at first on here then i had to find out that it is actually what i just stated above.  It would take you hours of searching this site to get the real story but it's there.  Also i'm talking about the vibrato channel and yes the vibrato was removed and not used.

The midboost is elusive and i have never heard the details.  From my assumptions you would have to add a set of components that essentially roll of the highs and lows and leave a mid band.  Look up high and low pass filters on Wikipedia.  That's how you would do it.  Because again no Fender amp that i have ever seen can actually boost mids; only cut treble and cut bass.

Hope that helps.  I am being short and concise because you can find all the background on the first item if you keep searching this forum.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex