Main Menu

Trey's STL tone

Started by IamWILSON, August 29, 2012, 02:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

Saw something on PT saying that Trey was actually using the Sarno Earth Drive last night.  Anybody have factual based confirmation of this?  His tone definitely sounded different at times.  Regardless of all that nonsense, amazing show if you haven't heard it, check it out!

Listen to STL PYITE - at about 4mins in you really hear it clearly.  A Trey tone he has never had before.  I don't know if it was him going to this new/different OD pedal or turning off his compressor, but it's pretty clear that it was a different sound for Trey.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

the_great_lemon

I noticed in some of the Facebook photos you can see has a Deluxe Reverb sitting infront of his two Lang. cabs....maybe that's it?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Walker done done

I hear what you're talking about during PYITE.  A much more raw tone with that OD.  Weird.  Not even sure I like it all that much.  Tinny.

Another thing I noticed on those Phish FB pics is a huge speaker behind Trey to his left/behind Mike's rack.  What is that for, Fish's drums?  He (Trey) still has the Ampeg speaker out set up, presumably for Mike's feed, so what's that other huge thing?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

Not a fan of that new tone. Its easiest to tell the difference at the beginning of Limb By Limb, Trey starts with what PT thinks is the Earth Drive then switches to his normal setup which sounds much better. Maybe he was just tweaking the DR settings but a new pedals makes sense. I wonder if he will hold onto it and find some better sounds. Or its a one time use like Sarno's SMS on 6/18/09.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Brian27

Im all about new sounds. That's what is so great about being a Guitarist is the ability to try out new things. However i do think it would be a wise choice to have a soundcheck before any show that includes using new gear. Although im not a big fan of Fender amps in general i think that Trey's Fender tone of late 1997-2004 was awesome.  My issue is OD pedals tend to make brighter tones worse then they already are and from listening to some of lastnights show i think they should have had a soundcheck so adjustments on gear could have been made before the show because Treys tone was about as thin as i have ever heard it and i didnt like it at all.

MomaDan

Apparently the Earth Drive is already off his board tonight
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

webephishin

I definately heard the difference in his tone as well...and good call on the Limb by Limb comment- it's very obvious if you relisten to the show.  Not to steer away from this topic, but how would you go about fixing a tinny tone?  I kinda feel like my tone is a bit thin at times.  I run a AM silver ts9 (set at a lower gain) and a ts9dx (higher gain) through a 2 knob keeley compressor into a Fender twin reverb silverface.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Walker done done

What are your ^ amp settings?

Back to this new Earth Drive.  It blows.  Glad to hear it's off his board MomaDan.  Listening to the rest of the St. Louis show (on Walk Away now) and it is flat out terrible.  On the recording at least.  I wonder if it was as stark of a difference in person.  I'm sure it was.  Yuck.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

raisingfreen

Quote from: webephishin on August 30, 2012, 12:37:53 AM
but how would you go about fixing a tinny tone?

I would say if you feel your tone is "tinny" to try and lower the treble or increase bass slightly. A twin is loud and clean. Lots of people run heavy mids and treble on those as they will cut through the mix pretty good. (heavy mids and treble on a twin sounds like ass by itself, with a band it really cuts and mixes well) If you listen to old Garcia stuff it as all mids and treble, but it cuts through really well. Reducing the mids (scooped) on a Twin will give you a fuller tone. It's not unique but it will limit the "tinny" experience.

Quote from: MomaDan on August 29, 2012, 11:04:06 PM
Apparently the Earth Drive is already off his board tonight

Regarding the Sarno Earth Drive, that pedal is extremely popular in the Dead/Garcia guitarists realm as well as Steel Guitar players. It's kinda different than a TS9. The ones I have heard were not tinny at all but were just meant to give a little edge similar to a Dist+ set really low. Also quite similar to some of the boutique drives that are really transparent. In any case I would not gauge the actual sound or usefulness of the Earth drive pedal on whether or not Trey allegedly used one and it did not sound good.

In other words unless we hear confirmation from Brad or see a pic it's still PT hear-say/bullshit.
I'm amazed at the misinformation that gets thrown around on that specific thread/site. Some of which is really common sense. For instance some are saying he was using a Twin Reverb in ST as well. I can see how that could appear that way as his Deluxe has a Mid knob making it look like a twins control panel.

We never spew bullshit on this thread as we are all highly trained gadget experts right? Or at least educated guesswork and bullshit combined in some poetic way that sounds intriguing.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

jadirusso

I agree I listened to the show and was floored by how horrible that sounded.He even seems to have used whatever it was during Reba in spots.. just ugly. It almost sounded like he was switching to a completely different rig altogether.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Happyorange27

Quote from: raisingfreen on August 30, 2012, 09:34:18 AM
We never spew bullshit on this thread as we are all highly trained gadget experts right? Or at least educated guesswork and bullshit combined in some poetic way that sounds intriguing.

Amen to that!  Yeah those ignorant dudes were skewing everything.  I like how the one guy thought that it was merely turning of the compressor that made the ugly transition tone.  NO WAY DUDE!  Welcome back to the elite group.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Well in all fairness Trey's been using TS-9's for a long long time now and how often do we try out a new pedal and it doesn't work in our rig? SMS is located in STL and my guess is Trey was checking it out much like he tried out the SMS preamp back in 09 when the band went to STL.

Additionally I think he was switching between rigs during the gig, the DR was out front and the mic placement was different between the 1st and 2nd sets (Phish FB pictures confirm this). I haven't listened to the whole show but at times Trey's tone is a shriller and icepick ish at times to my ears. I like the darker MKIII tone still.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 30, 2012, 12:01:06 PM
Well in all fairness Trey's been using TS-9's for a long long time now and how often do we try out a new pedal and it doesn't work in our rig?
Yeah but I would think you would try it out ahead of time or in sound check.  If it sounds bad there then don't bother in performance.  Well I'm sure there was a good reason.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Trey, we know you're reading the SD forum.  Please hop and and explain your STL rig for us. 

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Happyorange27

Quote from: Walker done done on August 30, 2012, 01:46:55 PM
Trey, we know you're reading the SD forum.  Please hop and and explain your STL rig for us. 
Hilarious!  (but i do hope he reads this).  Trey, text me! :P