Trey's amp settings

Started by GDCSH-1, August 17, 2007, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

Would anyone have an idea what treys amp level settings may be on his deluxe? treble, base, etc.?
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

strangedesign

I can get them. Anyone have a closeup pic of his amp that we can read Brian's writting on the blue tape? I have sent Brian a bunch of new questions this past week but he is currently on Tom Petty tour. It might be  a few weeks before I can find out. Here is the current questions I sent over...

1.     In Jimmy Herrings rig, what does have in his 3rd rack space? 1st space is furman power, 2nd – dtr tuner, 3rd - ???, 4th – M-One, 5th – D-Two
    2.     Treys wha... The RMC site list Trey as one of their artist. http://www.realmccoycustom.com/RMCUSERS.htm If he isn't using this as Brian says, what mods did he make to the Dunlop wha
    3.     What is the silver box that sits on top of Treys rack?
    4.     What mods were done to Trey's Deluxe Reverb?
    5.     What kind of expression pedal is Trey using for the CAE Super Tremolo?
    6.     Can upi give us any info on the a/b switch that Trey uses for the CAE Super Tremolo?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

I was talking to mike at analogman about getting a trey-esk sound and he was telling me most importantly turn your amp up, trey plays with his amp setting very loud to get the maximum out of his effects. Mike said \"by turning your amps down you are loosing alot of power of of the high end and the low end of your sound, by turning them up you are getting the full range of sound obtainable\" that is why he is able to turn his gain and volume all the way up on his tube screamers becuase the amp is driven almost to the maximum already if that makes any sense.
Also i could imagine that the silver box is on his amp is like a modern day hot plate. I am not sure, just a guess, but it would make some sense.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"I was talking to mike at analogman about getting a trey-esk sound and he was telling me most importantly turn your amp up, trey plays with his amp setting very loud to get the maximum out of his effects. Mike said \"by turning your amps down you are loosing alot of power of of the high end and the low end of your sound, by turning them up you are getting the full range of sound obtainable\" that is why he is able to turn his gain and volume all the way up on his tube screamers becuase the amp is driven almost to the maximum already if that makes any sense.
Also i could imagine that the silver box is on his amp is like a modern day hot plate. I am not sure, just a guess, but it would make some sense.
Glenn at HT was telling me the same thing. He was telling me when he delivered Jimmy Herrings cabs to his house in Atl that he turned his amp up to 9 and played for 3 hours or so.

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Man, I'll try it, but due to the size of our practice space it has the potential to blow the walls off the place!  I only have my amp set on 4, I think, and the 2 TS's turned on certainly increase the volume a little, so I may have to adjust and tweak the settings to get it right.  I think I only have the volume on the TS's set at 9 o'clock, maybe 10 (which is about a 3 or 4, I think), so if I turn my amp up, I would think I'd have to turn the TS's down, but we'll see.  Turning up is only going to force me to be more in control of my pick hand.

One thing I've been trying to get better at lately is really controlling my instrument, and especially my pick hand - it gives me far more tone and flexibility, but it's a hard thing to master - you've got to be really gentle with it and trust exactly what you are doing, with no room for error or \"wrong\" notes.  It's making me a better player, though.  I've learned to turn my guitar up all the way, get my volume pedal pretty high as well, and then to be more precise with the pick hand, which if I strummed really hard, it would blow peoples ears out, but if I am more gentle with it and more precise, I get a lot more tone and what not out of it.

What kind of wear & tear does having your volume up that high due to your tubes/amp though?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stiles12

I suggest looking into the hotplates, that what i did. what it does is lets you turn your amp all the way maxed out, but turn down on this little box. it goes between your amp and your cabs. your amp will still drive just as hard and think it is driving, so you will get the same sound.

I have the same problem at times, i cant turn up too loud becuase the studio we record in was made to keep outside sounds from going in rather than inside sounds from going out. (i know real wierd) but i like my amp settings at the top. so i just hot plate the overall down a little bit. works fairly well, still not perfect to maxing everything out but as close as it will come. It is made by this company THD, i was hesitant at first but the thing acually works pretty well. check it out
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"I suggest looking into the hotplates, that what i did. what it does is lets you turn your amp all the way maxed out, but turn down on this little box. it goes between your amp and your cabs. your amp will still drive just as hard and think it is driving, so you will get the same sound.

I have the same problem at times, i cant turn up too loud becuase the studio we record in was made to keep outside sounds from going in rather than inside sounds from going out. (i know real wierd) but i like my amp settings at the top. so i just hot plate the overall down a little bit. works fairly well, still not perfect to maxing everything out but as close as it will come. It is made by this company THD, i was hesitant at first but the thing acually works pretty well. check it out

Thanks, I will check it out and let you know if I have any questions - never even knew about\"hotplates\".    Where do you get them/what the hell are they???  do they just \"absorb\" some of the power?  In many ways I'm still a novice about equiptment, but that's half the reason I am on these sites - to learn!  Hey, we all were there/are there/will be there someday.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stiles12

no problem man. again the company name is THD I got one becuase i live in Dirty Jersey and they are in specific music shops around my area.

I got a question for everyone out there though about an effect. Not sure if this is even around. but as some of you know my DM2000 burnt out and shit the bed about three months ago (very tragic I know) haha but the feature that i liked the most on that thing that trey uses alot is the HOLD function. I have been looking for an effect that will just give me a hold on my sound, anyone know if this is even around? where to get one? any help would be sick, thanks alot
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"no problem man. again the company name is THD I got one becuase i live in Dirty Jersey and they are in specific music shops around my area.

I got a question for everyone out there though about an effect. Not sure if this is even around. but as some of you know my DM2000 burnt out and shit the bed about three months ago (very tragic I know) haha but the feature that i liked the most on that thing that trey uses alot is the HOLD function. I have been looking for an effect that will just give me a hold on my sound, anyone know if this is even around? where to get one? any help would be sick, thanks alot

Hey Stiles

I've got a Boss DD-6 digital delay pedal and it does have a HOLD function, but for $160, I gotta think there's something else out there that may be more user friendly that this one.  I love the pedal, and use it, but if you want to change any of the settings you have to bend down and turn the knobs, and that, coupled with being a single-pedal/button stomp-box, are my complaints about it.  

here's a pic/link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DD6-Digital-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=151302

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

I was looking at that same pedal over at www.analogman.com .

http://www.analogman.com/dd5.htm

Looks pretty sweet! It does pretty much everything the DM2000 does.

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

does your DM work, I have gone through two in the past year, but if yours works, and you can give me a graceful return period I would be interested in   it. PM me and let me know
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"does your DM work, I have gone through two in the past year, but if yours works, and you can give me a graceful return period I would be interested in   it. PM me and let me know
hat sux about your DM-2000's. Where have you been buying them? I have never had a bit of trouble out of mine. Now i'm a litle scared ;) Maybe I should invest in a backup just in case?

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

Here are the settings on my newly modified Fender DR.  The switch installed where the speed knob used to be engages an active mid boost, utilizing an extra gain stage, which is controlled by the intensity knob.  The smaller, all black knob installed where the second input used to be on the \"vibrato\" channel is a passive mid range tone control.

cactuskeeb

BTW, the settings on my amp have changed drastically since I installed a tailpiece and a tune-matic type bridge with brass saddles. The brass really changes things -- the highs, for one, are increased tenfold. Now I have the treble around 1-2 and the bass at the same level.