Maxon OD9, Ts808, or Ts9/808

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, October 27, 2009, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

Ive been using 2 Ts9/808 (silver) for a couple of years now and was pleased when i first got them but not so much anymore.  I was thinkning about ordering  either a Maxon OD-9/808, Ts808, or a Ts9/808 with no silver mod and was wondering if anybody could make any recommendations.  Also if anybody knows anything about the Ts808 true vintage mod, that would be helpful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

I have one OD9(silver) and one TS9(silver). The differance is pretty subtle, but I'd say the OD is heavier in the Mids and the TS9 sounds a bit thinner. I run the OD9 for my dirty overdriive and the TS9 for cleans. Analogman claims to prefer the OD tone, but I'd say it's splitting hairs.

Basically I like the True bypass switch of the OD9 and will probably replace the TS9 with another OD9 at some point. One thing, because of the different switch I find the OD9 a bit harder to stomp on and off.

I had a True Vintage 808 at one time, it had a nice warm 'bluesy' tone. Kinda wish i had held onto that one.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

picture_of_nectar

I have considered picking up an Analogman King of Tone.

Also heard good things about the Fulltone.

But i'm pretty happy with the tubescreamers and it's not like I'm wearing them out...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

YouEnjoyMyReba

poster ive seen ur posts about the clark gainster. how would u compare it to the Ts9/808? do u have a link where i could hear the gainster?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

cactuskeeb

The Analogman modified TS9's are literally the high end of overdrive pedals; you shouldn't waste time searching for something else that, in all likelihood, could be considered a major downgrade but you might not have have a sophisticated enough ear to tell a difference.  I've learned that lesson by throwing a lot of money away over a number of years--nine, to be exact--before my hearing matured and my understanding of analog electronics improved significantly.

I think what you want to concentrate on, in this case, instead of your ts9's, is the clean/slightly dirty sound of your amp.  The richer your clean and/or mildly dirty sound, the better the ts9 will sound.  And in terms of just how sweet you can get a tube amp to sound--well, the sky's the limit on that one; whereas with a 9volt analog circuit you're not going to move mountains of tone by making various adjustments to the underlying circuit that is the overdrive pedal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

ok cool. A couple of questions though. When u said modified ts9 were u referring to the silver mod or just the 808 mod? and where should i start in trying to get my amp to sound richer. its a fender deluxe reverb and even with nothing plugged into it it makes a little noise, almost like a fizz sound

cactuskeeb

If the fizz is too annoying for you to stand, it needs to be dealt with immediately or else you're not going to want to pick up the guitar as much, or at all.  Where do you live?  Do some research and find a technician advertising online who looks like he's profiting off his business and send him and email.  Ask him about swapping out NOS preamp tubes until you get a very emphatic vintage Fender sound with NO fizzing or buzzing (of course, you'll have some but it should be just barely there, and you want the technician to think his job isn't complete until this is the case).

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thanks for the info fellas.  I live in Wilmington, NC and ive been dealing with this guy whos replacing my tubes and i havent been to thrilled about his work. I took the amp in his shop a couple of weeks ago to get all of the tubes changed and he told me i only needed two changed. So i took his word for it and the day after i got it back the tube died.  Anyway, right now theres 2 6V6s and a 5AR4, not sure what the preamp tubes are.  I dont know much about good tubes but what are some recommendations?

cactuskeeb

Kcanostubes.com

My suggestions:
12ax7: rca blackplate
12at7: rca, mullard, or telefunken
6v6: rca grey glass or 6v6g (coke-bottle) shape

I right outside of raleigh, nc.  But I used to live in northern va, where I found Viking amps, and this guy who runs the place named Eric Summer -- if you're willing to pay the shipping it's worth it sending the chassis to him.  And like poster said, get rid of the stock speaker -- try an anico 12 of some sort (weber bluedog is my suggestion, or you could go with a tone tubby, etc.)  The other thing you simply must do is change the output and power transformers to mercury magnetics band trannys.

YouEnjoyMyReba

ok thanks man. is changing the output and power transformer something i could do or should i take it to a professional

cactuskeeb

Have you ever worked inside an amp before?  Do you know how to discharge the filter caps so as not to take one to the heart and keel over?  Do you know how to follow a schematic depicting transformer windings and hot, cold, and ground terminals?  Do you have a voltmeter to check voltages on tube pins so as to be sure you're not going to to fry your amp to bits?...

YouEnjoyMyReba

looks like ill need a professional

strangedesign

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on October 29, 2009, 11:08:17 PM
looks like ill need a professional
lol! cactcus just convinced me to never try to work on an amp
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

Quote from: posternutbag on October 28, 2009, 05:37:04 PM
re the pedals - Cactus:

i would agree that the silver ts9 is pretty epic. but by no means is it the only great overdrive pedals on the market. there are at least a dozen OD's out there that kick ass. you really got to experiment and spend $$$. i played a black box thing a while back that blew my load, just cost around 399...

I agree with poster on this one.  I am currently using a Diamond J-Drive made out of Halifax, NS that I really like.  There is a variety of great warm tones that you get out of it, as well as some downright slutty ones!  It's true bypass, has an independent clean boost and is just a really well made pedal.  Mine was purchased for $250 and I haven't turned back since.  I sold one of the TS9's and gave the other one to my keyboard player.  But poster likes his Clark Gainster and I'm sure that as he stated there is a variety of great sounding well made true bypass distortions out there.  I personally have always wanted to check out what cmatmods has got on the go for drive pedals, but never have.  Anyways, here's a link for the drive I use in case anyone's interested.  These guys are great to talk to as well, super knowledgeable. 

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/jdrive_mk3.html
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

YEMReba, Looks like you are using the silvers.

Your rig today:
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)> BiComp>Ts9 (silver) X2> Boomerang+> FDR

But I was curious why you run them after the compressor?  Does it sound better for you that way?

I used to compress first back in the day but I switched.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex