Main Menu

Micing amp

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, April 10, 2010, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

So i'll be playing my first live gig (with a band) an april 30.  It's a cover band that some guys from other bands in the area started just for fun.  As of right now i'm only playing one song with them which will be Stash.  So here's the problem:

When i play in my room i usually turn the ts9s way down and turn the amp up to about six (FDR '65 reissue).  However, i decided to turn the amp up to 9 to see what it would sound like when im playing with this band and when i hit any high notes i got a bad rattling sound coming from my amp.

So, i was wondering if i could set the amp and ts9s how i usually do in my room (ts9s low, amp high) and then mic the amp with those settings to keep the tone that i get when doing so and eliminate rattling. 

This is the first time ive had to mic my amp so any other suggestions on the process would be of great help. thanks!

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Walker done done

Not sure what's up with the rattling, but...

When you play with this band on your regular volume, can you hear yourself?  You (obviously) need to be able to hear yourself on stage, and since you'll be playing lead, you need to be able to cut through at the level you'll desire.

If you'll be able to hear yourself at that volume, then micing your amp shouldn't be a problem.  Whoever is doing sound can take care of how it's heard in the audience. 

What level do you have your TS's set at?

Good luck with your gig, sounds like it'll be a blast (you are playing Stash, after all...)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

ok i think im misunderstanding the way this works. will micing the amp make the sound louder?

The second ts9 in the chain is set at about 8 o'clock and the 1st in the chain is set to 2 o'clock. the volume on the amp is set at 6.  I know i wont be able to hear myself over the band with these settings, but i was under the impression that micing my amp will increase the over all volume.

ps. i know absolutely nothing about PAs and microphones

Walker done done

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on April 12, 2010, 04:38:47 PM
ps. i know absolutely nothing about PAs and microphones

You don't say?  LOL.  J/k.  And I don't claim to be an expert either, but at one point we were all where you are - it's a natural part of the learning process.  Putting a mic in front of the speaker on your amp is only going to make it louder to wherever it's output is (i.e. the main speakers that are facing the patrons and/or the monitors on stage).  What happens when you speak into a microphone?  It amplifies your voice to wherever it's coming out of (speakers).  Same thing with your amp.  Your Delux is a 22 watt amp, which while loud enough for your home, it may not be loud enough for all the people in the club or bar you're playing at.  Hence micing it so they can hear you better.

I (as I'm sure most players do) prefer to hear the sound my amp is making straight from the amp, and not the monitor(s).  A little of my own amp in my monitor is fine, but not much.  Naturally you'll hear your amp in the mains, but by no means should either the mains nor the monitors be your primary source of audio for your own amp.  If I can't hear my own amp, there's a problem, and I have a feeling you'll feel the same way. 

So the thing about being on stage is you need to hear yourself through your own gear; one way or another that's gotta happen.  If you can't turn your amp up loud enough to hear yourself while playing with a band, I'm not sure what to tell you.  If it's strictly because of this rattling issue, you may want to have that looked at to see what it is.  Make sure your tubes are tightly fitted into their sockets, make sure the speaker/screws are tightly connected to the baffle, etc.  If you can't figure it out, bring it someone who can.  You may be able to get away with turning it up to 6 and then compensating by having it come through your monitor so you can hear it better, but that's a short term fix.  Good luck.

Also, I'm not sure why your TS's are set so drastically apart, that puzzles me.  Aren't you finding that one is severely louder than the other?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thank you for the info, i greatly appreciate it.  That made things much clearer.

As for the ts9s, I dropped the one thats set to 2 and the level knob broke off.  I had it fixed at the local pawn shope and now the knob clicks when i turn it.  I dont know exactly what happened but i like the way it sounds only in conjunction with the other ts9, not alone.  Even with these settings, it still ever so slightly quieter than the ts9 set at 8.  I dont know what thats all about but i think it sounds good.  I recently ordered a ts9 from garmopat and while it sounds great, i prefer the two silvers that ive been using.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Well i wanted to try something different seein as though i already have two silvers.  I love the way gary's sounds but after playing with it for a couple of months and trying out all three chips, I prefer the silvers.  I do however absolutely love the vox i got from him, the different sounds that are available from it are endless.  I love the tone that comes from having both toggles all the way down and having the whammy set at any of the low octaves.