Hollowbody/Semi-Hollowbody close to a 'doc?

Started by Mound1, June 12, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mound1

Guitar question...

All else being equal (to Trey's rig), does anyone have any suggestions on what hollowbody/semi-hollowbody would achieve the closest to Trey's tone other than a Languedoc?  PRS?

Thanks!

raisingfreen

Well said posternutbag... and I will ad,

I am in the middle of writing a blog article talking about this topic...well in a round about way. I imagine you will get lots of replies on this, however, another question may required. Are you looking for something "used/new–off the shelf" OR a "custom made" similar quality/sounding guitar to a Languedoc, at a price-point that is affordable?

On another note, it's interesting how much money some of us have spent on equipment, pedals, amps, cables etc... Add it up over the years and I bet some of us would be surprised to find out the amounts spent after purchasing, trading-in, repurchasing, changing setups, tastes, etc....I wonder after all the money on these boutique pedals, amps, cable etc, what our "weakest link" is. I will bet that for some of us it is our guitar(s). I say weakest link in that the guitars are so subjective in price-point and quality, not to mention the advertising behind some brands that get into our heads. Take a 2K+ off the shelf PRS, would it be safe to say that over time some of us have spent just a tad more that that on equipment to complement our guitar(s)? I don't even want to add this number up as it will just make me sick. However I learned a thing or two in the process, so maybe money well spent. Last question is even if we all had a Languedoc, would we actually get Trey's tone? Take a look at the players that actually have one (a Languedoc), listen to them and see if you really think they have Treys tone.

Since you mentioned "All else being equal (to Trey's rig)" All I can say is if you have gone that far, you may as well bite the bullet and get a Doc.
Since some of us buy gear over time it seems cheaper (pay as you go), a guitar is a single large purchase. The price of two modified tube screamers and a Ross can be more than the price of some of the guitars we play!!! I know thats the case with mine. But I will never have Treys tone even with real Doc.

If I had to recommend one option assuming you can afford at least a PRS, I would say a Hollow/Semi-Hollow from AO Guitars (aoguitars.com). Yes, I just gave a plug. But a well deserved one. I recently was able to take one of his creations home for the night, jam with WalkerDoneDone a bit at his jamspot. I have seen, held, fondled, examined and played first hand some of the Solid/Hollow/Semi-Hollow guitars Andrew builds. I would rate his as different than Languedoc's which to is the best part and is the most important thing to remember. NOT A Knockoff. I can't stress that enough. There is a clear distinction between his and the Trey guitar look. Yes he will make one that is similar (look feel, f-holes, options, setup etc..) but it will be something that is also YOURS. I wont speak as to the pricing, however for far less than a Doc you can get something that is stunning. The one I took home is actually for sale, even though he does not have it listed. Look up number #016 Bubinga/Wenge MultiLam Venus (Montbleau) on his website. It was custom made for Ryan Montbleau Band and is gorgeous. It appears Mr. Montbleau wants a single coil sound instead and is having Andrew build him another one that is Tele Style I think. By the way, he has some new headstock designs that are very cool. They satisfy the Doc'esq customers but have a look that is completely unique. Keep in mind his website does not have everything that he does, however ask him and maybe he'll send you some amazing pics of the other styles he has or even a work in progress.

Other than that I am partial to the Kramer Stiker, good tones in there too assuming "All else being equal (to Trey's playing)"

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

cactuskeeb

Right off the bat, I have to stop you and clarify the attraction of the Languedoc: no one's foolish enough to imagine that playing through this guitar (themselves) will get (them) Trey's tone.  It's the resonance of a Languedoc guitar, and broad frequency range, that makes me want for it nearly every day.  In fact, the hallmark of an inexperienced (read: beginner) guitar player is the desire--never fulfilled, of course--to eclipse their guitar god's tone by repeating it formally in a kind of 'perfect' one-to-one mathematical correlation.  On the other hand, I could not justify touting my own explanation of what being an experienced guitar player means, because it only means, as such, to myself alone.  (Wisdom'd)   

raisingfreen

Cactus, thats some seriously deep insight and almost so simple its hard to understand. Did you come up with that on your own? I am looking forward to your next installment. No kidding that was well written and also, probably the best way to define what makes a Doc different from others.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

picture_of_nectar

I think the Doc has a signature tone regardless of who's playing it. For instance,Mike's guitarist from Green Sparrow plays one and it sounds like Treys guitar...sorta. There is an old thread on this site refrencing it.

That said, it's not a Doc but I am super happy with the tone of my Spruce top PRS Hollowbody. Cost me $2k on Craigslist in mint condition (not a 10 top).
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

mcgrupperton

I use a Schecter C1 E/A semi on Maze, Mikes, Coastal, and Project 61 on this page  "reverbnation.com/tommy20"
and Divided Sky and Birds here "myspace.com/tommy2910"

Maxon Od9, TS9, and Soul Preacher Comp are pretty much all I use for the tone. The compressor is at the end of my chain, I know, but I like it.

picture_of_nectar

I second the recomendation for Equator Instruments.

David Coleman is extremely responsive to email questions. I have owned 2 and have a thrid on order. Over the last year I have exchanged about 100 emails with David, he allways responds quickly. The previous two guitars I was able to sell at full value as there is beginning to be a high demand for his instruments. Currently, I have a Koa being built.

My first was a Maple/Clavallin(rosewood) Mini, which I loved but I couldn't resist buying a used Maple/Paduak Standard that came up on ebay. I had to compare the two.

The Mini sounded great but I prefered the Standard. As you can imagine the full body had a fuller more resonant tone. The Mini was slightly easier to play just because the feedback was easier controlled. One thing I dindn't like about the Mini was the balancce was off, it was neck heavy, less so with the Standard.
I had both guitars into my local Luthier who is a builder/repair proffesional with a great reputation in my area. He was impress with the guitars, but each of them needed a lot of set up work (~$150) each. He did some tweaking to the Neck Truss, Nut and Saddle, some fret leveling, and a bit of work on the tail piece. Just minor things. When he was finished the guitar sounded and played amazing. I plan on having the same treatment done to the Koa. Because the guitars are made in South America, the woods are going to need to be cared for well in proper humidity, and adjusted occasionally as the neck ages.

I know posternutbag had many quality issues with his. David has built many guitars since then and his craftsmanship and techniques have definately improved over time. He is a young builder and any Luthier could tell you that by inspecting the guitar, but they are fine guitars, they look, sound and play amazing. Go through his galleries and if you like the Languedoc style you will be drooling. I fully support Equator and have had nothing but good experiences working with him.
http://equatorinstruments.com/homepage.html
Currently Available!

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

well, unfortunately I don't have a 'Doc to compare it to, but is sounds like an incredible hollowbody. You know that feedback sustain trey gets when he just hits a note and holds it, sometimes he will go through a whole solo sustaining notes for different lengths...piece of cake to achieve that with this guitar. and I suck...but, I have a ton of fun playing with the volume knob to get different levels of that feedback sustain....I love hollowbodies!

picture_of_nectar

Well i owned a PRS Spruce hollowbody for a year and it didn't touch the Equator. I don't think the PRS had SD 59s in it though. Sorry I haven't owned any other Doc replicas. I am sure there are some good ones. I'm not arguing one vrs another, just offering my personal experience and opinion. take it for what it's worth...which isn't a whole lot, I am a nOOb afterall.

perhaps plywood with 59's will resonate, but plywood doesn't look like that sexy Maple top^^^^ now does it?

Who here has played a languedoc and can actually compare any guitar to one? curious...

picture_of_nectar

I would love to have that opportunity, and I never said Equator = Languedoc. You get what you pay for, although I do believe Paul is banking on Phish's fame.

Visiting Pauls shop and owning one of his 'works of art' is in my bucket list of things to do/own before I die. For now I am ok with a copy that costs 1/3rd the price.

Pauls original Maple Paduak + Treys jedi hands made me fall in love with music. I don't need any convincing his work is the 'holy grail.'

picture_of_nectar

YouEnjoyMyReba

Reply to posters video:  The guitar itself doesn't sound bad but that guy can't play worth a shit!! He made the ecstacy lick sound like shwag lick
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: posternutbag on December 31, 2009, 03:55:10 PM
actually here is douche himself proving my fucking point.

IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE A LANGUEDOC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6mOkwilT0&feature=related

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahaahahha

sometimes you just gotta say thanks assholes of the world! sometimes you do exactly what you should do, EXPOSE YOURSELVES.

what the fuck man? please quote me where anyone claimes and "Equator sounds like a Languedoc.

Not to mention, that guy is playing through some Boss pedal on top of his amp.

btw, thats not David Coleman, thats one of his customers. You idiot. Read the comments. Yer such an asshole....

YouEnjoyMyReba