If Trey added a new effect to his rig.

Started by Brian27, February 18, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

If Trey added a new effect to his rig which one would you want it to be?

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

I saw him use a talkbox at a trey band show at bates college. He used it during rocky mountain way. That was when he had that guy les playing guitar with him.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

Nice.  I had a Framptone talkbox.  It was kind of cool but a big heavey unit and you had to strap a hose onto your mic stand just in the right place.  I sold it.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Yeah. I tried a heil talkbox. I hooked it up and used it for like 5 minutes. I felt really uncomfortable with that tube in my mouth moving my lips around. Not my thing

Happyorange27

Yeah, the only time I like having a 1/2" poly urethane tube in my mouth is when it's connected to a beer bong :D.  Make it a 1" hose please.

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Brian27

Id love to see him with a Panner. I bet if he had a panner bouncing his signal back and forth with his DM2000 or Univibe it would be sick to listen to with a good pair of headphones

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

raisingfreen

I would say his next new effect will be derived from him using a combination of the effects he already has. For instance the GBOTT grind is not a single effect but if it was in a pedal it may sell like hot cakes. Or maybe the use of the whammy into the delay into the trem and then changes rate speeds for a unique rhythm effect. He has most of the modulation sounds covered and even filtering sounds based on what he can do with the whammy plus whatever.

I cant think of any instance when he just kicks on a single effect (overdrive not being an effect) per say rather than unique blend of a few items carefully put together.

Maybe a fuzz? I would bet again with his setup that sound is already there.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

What is GBOTT grind?  If it's the effect I'm thinking of then I'm so wanting that. Is this what is used at beginning of Punch you in the eye?

raisingfreen

I'm not going to rehash any part of the old GBOTT discussions, however PYITE sounds like Guitar/Ts9/Univibe and possibly a wee bit of Leslie thown in.

raisingfreen

Was just thinking of another thought on this "new" effect topic. In my opinion, in any given tour run Trey creates new effects all the time. I will repost with some specific examples however when thinking about the order of his effects and how he uses them he essentially can create almost anything he wants solely based on how they are set up and the unconventional order in which some of them are used.

The first thing that comes to mind is how he can actually play his effects, meaning he is not actually playing the guitar but just either a looped sound and or the holding of a specific phrase or rhythm chunk from the DM. The way that the rack units are ordered allows so many possibilities and if they were not in that order none of it would be possible.

Let's say he gets a phrase or scratch or whatever coming from the DM2000, what comes after that allows it to be transformed into any other "playable effect" he wants. So with a phrase coming from the DM he can then add some Trem, then he can change either the rate or the intensity with his foot-controller, then he can go back and modulate the sound from the DM, frig with the Trem some more, then try some vibe and or some reverse reverb, etc.... Then on top of that he could essentially change the pitch of all that with the whammy. This all goes against conventional effect order that we may have discussed but I think it may be entirely possible, albeit a bit confusing. For instance we would possibly assume the whammy is actually placed in the chain prior to the modulation. This is the one item that has me a bit confused as then how could he do the guitar wars stuff and change the pitch of a delay/modulated sound.

Assuming the Bradshaw switcher and isolation units were not used and he literally had to go through all that stuff my guess for the order would be entirely unconventional. I say this for the simplicity of describing my theory. Obviously utilizing the rack loops makes this all possible and still sound good.

Theory 1: Guitar/Wha/Ts9/Ts9/DM2000(on/hold/modulate) /Boomerang/Whammy II /Tremolo (adjustable rate and intensity foot controlled)/Univibe (Preset?)/Microverb (preset to reverse) that can all go to either the leslie (thru the tuner), Deluxe, Boogie or all 3. (Note: I believe the Leslie never receives anything but sans effects signal. (overdrive not being an effect)

This would give complete control all through the chain to "play" your effects. I will look for some recent examples to post to illustrate this. It may appear that it would never work this way but in my opinion it can and its all based on the loops within the Bradshaw switcher, how they are wired up and ISO's to keep the noise at bay.

Let the fun begin.

Brian27

The thing i love about the Line 6 M13 is i can add other effects to my DM2000 in one Scene and not have them added to it in another. I have a Trey Scene set up with 2 Tremolos with a different depth for both and of course i change speed with an expression Pedal. I also have a  reverb setting and a Univibe. I only use my DM2000 on this Scene.