What amp(s) did Trey use between the years of '93-'97?

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, September 19, 2010, 02:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

I know this is a question about Trey's rig but my intentions are for this topic to discuss more than that.  First of all, I would appreciate an answer to this question first, along with any mods that he had done to it and if all possible the settings he might have had.

I ask this question because I am not satisfied with my FDRR.  While it sounds great most of the time, it is just to fragile.  It seems like there is constantly something going wrong with it and makes strange noises quite frequently (for instance, at high volumes like 9-10, if I hit a high note anywhere past the 15th fret on the high e the sound comes out wavy) . 

I hope to possibly get some feedback on a replacement for this amp, one that I could use for the rest of my life (price is not an issue).

Thanks!
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

Wasn't it the mesa boogie set up and then a CAE preamp and Groove Tubes power amp?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

In the Clifford Ball DVD it looks like he's using 2 Twins.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

rbt

In 86" Trey was using a Deluxe Reverb (no mods) with a vintage 30 speaker so he could get the Duane allman sound.
But from 86 and up to 93" he used the GT-D75. In around 94" was the Mesa Boogie then It went to two mesa boogies heads.
Which you would hear in (A Live One) cd.
In around 96" was the modded 65-67 Deluxe Reverb then it went to two Deluxe Reverb's
so he could use stereo pan and possible stereo delay I also think one of the amp's was also used to run that peavy reverb rack.
That is what you would see @ Clifford Ball.

First of all have you had your reissue checked out to see if there is a problem with the amp. Might need tube swap and bias makes a HUGE difference
in how the amp reacts. I have a reissue that has been modified extensively, Cap job From atom's,mustard,mallory,orange drops,silver-mica capacitors
Carbon comp resistors, Marshall esque mod Treys amp run's this. It's how he get's the type of overdriven process similar to what he did with the boogies
channel switching to make em' wail. Course mods to cut the NFB loop (not all the way that would result uncontrollable feedback) It also acts like a presence pot. Here's the easiest mod the Midrange Boost. As for settings you need his full setup to figure that one. And for amp's go try a bunch at the store. It's hard to tell what your true personal preference is or you can try these mods without spending as much as a new amp would be. If I were to try one of these other amps it would be the Gt-d75 saw one on ebay for $900

Stiles12

you are aware that the D-75 is a power amp right... he was using the d-75 power amp with a 3+se CAE preamp... You might be confusing the D-75 with the Groove tube trio. which is what jerry played in the 90's... I use a 1991 Trio in my set up now, I use that with an original VHT 2:90:2 for power. Works great...
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

This may be  another case of when "keepin it real goes wrong"

Lets see where this goes as it should be interesting.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

strangedesign

the d-75 is  the amp he was using and i still think think this period was his best tone. i asked Brian why he quit playing the d-75 and he said because it was too loud for phish songs.  for once i disagree...
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Brian27

What was the Peavey Valverb for? I never understood what he was using that for when he was already using a Super Trem and Alesis Reverbs.

Stiles12

I agree with the 3+se and the groove tube D-75... its definitly my favorite tone. it is loud though. he had to turn it up so loud to get the break up.

either way my favorite tone by far. 
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

picture_of_nectar

I swear the amps in the Ball vid look more like Twins then DRs. Maybe not I guess.

sour d

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on September 23, 2010, 12:44:14 PM
I swear the amps in the Ball vid look more like Twins then DRs. Maybe not I guess.
I think you're thinking twins because of the 2 languedoc 2x12 cabs.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Brian27

The CAE 3 channel Preamp was used during the Clifford Ball. He used the 2nd channel quite a bit and during the evening sets you can really tell that he switches from the 1st to the 2nd during Free, 2001, and other songs. The most obvious one is during the delay loop of Free. When he changes channels the delay loop is boosted and distorted quite a bit.

picture_of_nectar

yeah I must have been thinking of a different video...