tips for WH2 use/placement?

Started by jadirusso, August 11, 2010, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadirusso

Can any of you Whammy II users give me some tips on incorporating this thing into my rig? I've seen that the suggestion is to get a bypass loop and put it in there. Any further specific tips?
Thanks in advance.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

ColForbin

Definitely put it in a true bypass loop,...well,...I have the whammy IV and I believe the noise issue with it might not be as bad with the II.  But I would put it in there anyway.  This is just personal preference, but if it's feasible, I like putting my delay after my whammy, whether it be right after, or have the delay in a separate loop that occurs after the one that the whammy is in.  I think a delayed whammy tone is very fun at times.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

jadirusso

Thanks, I will work on getting a bypass loop.. but it'll be fine to have the whammy after my TS-9's?
leaving out the looper for now if my signal path is like this it'll be cool??
Guitar -> RMC-2 wah -> Fulltone OCD -> TS-9 -> TS-9 -> Vol Pedal -> Wh2 -> Delays -> Fender DR
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

Poster

ColForbin

Quote from: jadirusso on August 11, 2010, 02:09:33 PM
Thanks, I will work on getting a bypass loop.. but it'll be fine to have the whammy after my TS-9's?
leaving out the looper for now if my signal path is like this it'll be cool??
Guitar -> RMC-2 wah -> Fulltone OCD -> TS-9 -> TS-9 -> Vol Pedal -> Wh2 -> Delays -> Fender DR

Like poster said, I would probably get rid of the volume pedal, but the rest should be fine.  Just curious, do you have all of those od's set up for different overdrive levels?  What is your fulltone like?  I've never tried one.....but yeah, try to get your whammy and delay for that matter in a loop whenever you can.  Just my opinion of course...
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

jadirusso

Yep I have the one ts-9 set to low drive and the other with the drive cranked all the way. The OCD I like because it can give me a different flavor of OD.. It seems to be able to get a bit more dirty. I use it if I need to get a more Jimmy Page kinda tone. It has a switch on it that switches between LP and H(igh) P(eak). With the switch on HP you get more of a Marshall type tone.   So yeah all the OD's for a variety of drive tones.
Yeah I have been thinking I should get rid of the Vol too as I now really only use it to quiet everything when I'm not playing.

You guys have any suggestions for some good bypass loopers?
Joe

ColForbin

On the left hand side on the main page on this site, there are a bunch of links and one of them says loopmaster.  That's a pretty good bet.
Current rig: 

jadirusso

Ok so I got to plugging the WH2 in and trying to get it into my rig but when I put it after my TS-9's  it doesn't track very well. I did try to adjust the input level some but didn't find a setting that made the warbling go away when the drive was on. I also tried putting the WH2 before the drives(first pedal in my signal path) and that seemed to work perfectly fine.
I've seen that some of you have the WH2 after your OD's so I'm curious if I'm missing something or if there's a trick to running in that configuration. Or do I just need to spend more time trying to find the sweet spot on the input level.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Poster

the whole point is the clipping when overdriven. the WH2 has the worst tracking of ANY octave unit. Its one string at a time or nothing at all. if your trying to emulate trey tone, not using a compressor is a serious issue. it acts as a limiter and shapes a good portion of his sound. in the case of the whammy, it allows for better tracking, as the WH2 only has to track a very narrow sound wave coming out of the comp.  if your going to use it without a comp, like the rough post hiatus tone, youll need to mod that whammy, but no matter what you decide to do, youll need to put it in a true bypass looper as its a tone sucking piece of plastic. currently mine has been heavily modified, and i use a newer "hopper" true bypass looper just for the wh2. still have issues with wonky hiss here an again, but it works better than it did stock. at least the Ts9 doesnt make it screech, other distortion pedals will make that fucker whine, something to do with the imput pot i think but who knows! digitech sure as hell doesnt know.

jadirusso

Yeah I definitely intend to get a bypass looper for it, just haven't gotten it yet. So the key to having the wh2 after the ts9's is the compressor? I do have a Ross compressor but I haven't been using it as I think it needs a bit of cleanup/repair work. I'll give it a shot with the Ross just to see if that helps.

Thanks
Joe

Armenian Man

I have mine in the effects loop on my board with a true bypass on it....its right before my boomerang in the last link of the chain....Do you guys ever have problems with the pitch flatening after a couple seconds...sometimes mine will just kind of sputter out and flat the note, especially if im playing on the oct with it all the way up....it really pisses me offf, its totally flat!  So maybe my placement is wrong, i dont know