The Chirp

Started by HunSanity, April 21, 2010, 01:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunSanity

so after getting a graphite pick i now know how trey gets that distinct chirp type sound when he plays notes.  pretty cool stuff if you think about it.  it was something very subtle i noticed in his playing for years and it always stood out to me.. not sure if anyone knows whan im referring too but you often hear it when he plays (sometimes more then others).. SOAM is a good example, pretty much anything.. i cant think of any other way to describe it other then a "chirp"...i know it is a combo if things but it seems to me now that i got this Adamas i can sort of hear it now.  funny how stuff works.  anyone know what im referring to?  pretty sick..

funny i though these picks were fake at first and now i am in love.  dont know how i used mediums before.. love em...i need some more..

sour d

Quote from: HunSanity on April 21, 2010, 01:24:18 PM

funny i though these picks were fake at first and now i am in love.  dont know how i used mediums before.. love em...i need some more..
I told you that they are addictive! I even use them to play acoustic.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

HunSanity

i just re-strung my acoustic last night so ill have to check it out.  im sure its sweet. 

patrickstefanski

I got mine...played them for an hour, then went right back to my gator 2mm composites.

maybe it is something i have to get used to.  They have like an outer edge on them, where the molding kind of closes, you know?  Maybe if i file that off.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

aoguitars

I hear you with that edge, Patrick. I'm still stuck on the Golden Gate Mando picks...I like the sound more than the Adamas, and I never use the point of a pick. I read that SRV always used the rounded edge of a pick back when I picked up the guitar so I tried that and have done it even since. The mando picks are three sided rounded edged. The graphite seems to make everything so bright and almost shrill--though I think with some more playing I could dig it. They do have "that sound" though, which is cool.

My favorite, though, is my true Tortoise-shell pick in the same shape as the Golden Gate. I can get any sound I want out of it. Too bad they're illegal.

ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

YouEnjoyMyReba

why are they illegal?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

HunSanity

sorry but this reminded me of that will farrel scene in that ice skating move when he pulls out his hair brush and says its made of "whale bone"  freaking hysterical..

yes they do brighten things up (the adamas) but its great as i am playing alot of jazz chords and funk rythems now a days..perfect for me..

strangedesign

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

aoguitars

It's kind of along the lines of using Ivory or Brazilian Rosewood--there was a ban implemented back in the early '70s on anything being made out of real Hawksbill turtle shell. If you owned it before the ban, it's fine, but nothing "should" be made out of it now. I don't know how old you guys are (I'm 32), but I remember stuff growing up that was made out of tortoise shell--combs and knife handles...stuff like that.

I've heard great things about Tortis picks, though, which are a protein-based material that are apparently very similar to the makeup of turtle shell and are supposed to sound just like it. They're about $20 each...I've seen real tortoise picks upwards of $50 or so.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

Walker done done

Quote from: aoguitars on April 23, 2010, 12:00:22 PM
I've seen real tortoise picks upwards of $50 or so.

Holy crap!  That's just sillyness right there...
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

Quote from: strangedesign on April 22, 2010, 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on April 22, 2010, 09:59:21 AM
why are they illegal?
Quote from: Walker done done on April 23, 2010, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: aoguitars on April 23, 2010, 12:00:22 PM
I've seen real tortoise picks upwards of $50 or so.

Holy crap!  That's just sillyness right there...
Most of the stuff I've tried in my life that was illegal, ended up being pretty good. Not everything, but 9 times out of 10, good....
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

^ can't disagree with that, I 'spose.  ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: patrickstefanski on April 22, 2010, 08:49:01 AM
I got mine...played them for an hour, then went right back to my gator 2mm composites.

maybe it is something i have to get used to.  They have like an outer edge on them, where the molding kind of closes, you know?  Maybe if i file that off.

You got the bad kind.  Search the forum for adamas and you'll find a long thread I did on this subject years ago.  It's pointless to read it, just skip to the second page, and look at the last post; there's a picture I took of the right kind of adamas 2mm you want: you'll notice that there a) there isn't an excess outer rim b) it probably (most definitely) looks rougher (not smooth) than yours and c) notice how it polishes itself at the very tip from constant contact with strings.  That's called quality graphite.  I'm sure I'll have to make the same reply again in a couple weeks, so don't sweat it if you forget all this information I gave you. ;)

raisingfreen

cactus,
I am pretty sure that he didn't get the wrong kind (it is possible... ahughgh...just not from me), however that is not to say they may not be what works for him. I looked up that photo you posted awhile back (those are the ones and the only ones I have ever seen or used). They do have a slightly tapered edge to them that also seems to smooth or wear after much use. Also the reverse side has the 2 adamas/ovation flourish thingy's. This hole topic is pretty interesting as I would imagine everyone picks slightly or drastically different. We all seem to have tried the same couple of picks as well. 2mm Black Gators etc... It is interesting to try both one after the other and hear the differences. For instance if Jerry did actually use these I could see why. They do add just a bit of a bright edge to the sound especially when using single coils/coil tap and the pointy edge. Good thing either Trey or Jerry liked to use a quarter or something like that. Then again that would be cheaper than the adamas.

I will say I really liked the pick that AO posted. Those really seemed cool and would be great for the player that does use the all rounded sides.
If anyone knows where to get those let me know.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

aoguitars

This is where I usually order a bunch of the Golden Gates...though search around, they aren't hard to find:
http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/c_10/p_PK14.aspx

They're 1.5mm, though they might make heavier ones. With different finger pressures, I feel like I can get anything out of them.

And Sour D you speak the truth! Illegal often equals awesome...at one time or another...
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com