TONE TIPS!

Started by IamWILSON, November 19, 2011, 07:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

Hey Strange Designers! 

I've done so much overhauling of my effects chains and gear over the last couple years and have learned a bunch about cleaning up my tone and maybe you guys know all the secrets already, but I thought it would be a good idea to share some of our knowledge here about our tone quest and things that really helped clean up our tone, especially as we add more effects in search of new guitar sounds.

So when I first switched to using a couple Voodoo Lab pedal powers it made a huge impact on my signal, now that I didn't have to plug in so many ac adapters and power sources.  And I still noticed that on some days my tone still had some hum and buzz happening and on others it didn't.  Then when I first tried a stereo 2 amp setup last week I almost had a fit because how much excess noise I was getting, including radio frequencies, which I never experienced before.  So then I came upon this video and some others on TGP and figured I'd share it with you guys - especially after the last thread I posted this in, only 1 person responded. 

So check out this video on ground loops by some Taylor guy.  It's really worthy of 5 minutes of your time.  And after I followed his instruction, my stereo rig became so quiet that I could stand there with one of my tubescreamers on, even with the level and drive both almost set to 10, have my guitar volume level on 10, with both amps masters turned up between 50-80% and with out my strings covered, could stand there and have no buzz, hum, or hiss come out of either amp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg&feature=player_embedded

I'm pretty sure this will go the same for plugging in power for effects chains and amps all the same whether you are running a stereo rig or not.  Well maybe I'm wrong, but after this last gig I did and plugging everything into one surge protector into one outlet at the bar the other night, I was shocked at how clean my tone was!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on November 19, 2011, 07:12:36 PM
Hey Strange Designers! 

I've done so much overhauling of my effects chains and gear over the last couple years and have learned a bunch about cleaning up my tone and maybe you guys know all the secrets already, but I thought it would be a good idea to share some of our knowledge here about our tone quest and things that really helped clean up our tone, especially as we add more effects in search of new guitar sounds.

So when I first switched to using a couple Voodoo Lab pedal powers it made a huge impact on my signal, now that I didn't have to plug in so many ac adapters and power sources.  And I still noticed that on some days my tone still had some hum and buzz happening and on others it didn't.  Then when I first tried a stereo 2 amp setup last week I almost had a fit because how much excess noise I was getting, including radio frequencies, which I never experienced before.  So then I came upon this video and some others on TGP and figured I'd share it with you guys - especially after the last thread I posted this in, only 1 person responded. 

So check out this video on ground loops by some Taylor guy.  It's really worthy of 5 minutes of your time.  And after I followed his instruction, my stereo rig became so quiet that I could stand there with one of my tubescreamers on, even with the level and drive both almost set to 10, have my guitar volume level on 10, with both amps masters turned up between 50-80% and with out my strings covered, could stand there and have no buzz, hum, or hiss come out of either amp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg&feature=player_embedded

I'm pretty sure this will go the same for plugging in power for effects chains and amps all the same whether you are running a stereo rig or not.  Well maybe I'm wrong, but after this last gig I did and plugging everything into one surge protector into one outlet at the bar the other night, I was shocked at how clean my tone was!

This is really interesting, so plugging everything into a isolated strip solves ground loops?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

"This is really interesting, so plugging everything into a isolated strip solves ground loops?"

Apparently so, but if you don't have that option, you can use the dummy plug, or whatever he called it?  (I refer to it as the 2 prong adapter/grounding plug) to plug your 3 prong plug into a wall and don't screw in the ground screw and you will avoid a ground loop as long as you are grounded in another outlet, since everything is connected. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on November 19, 2011, 08:02:10 PM
"This is really interesting, so plugging everything into a isolated strip solves ground loops?"

Apparently so, but if you don't have that option, you can use the dummy plug, or whatever he called it?  (I refer to it as the 2 prong adapter/grounding plug) to plug your 3 prong plug into a wall and don't screw in the ground screw and you will avoid a ground loop as long as you are grounded in another outlet, since everything is connected. 

Very Cool, just did this and there's a lot less of a BUZZZZZ
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

Careful! Those 2 prong kill him but are not safe!  Get the Hum X adapters or any other try isolated 3 prong plugs. Check out Isobar or Ebtech or Furman etc.  Wilson had me reading up on all this stuff. Thanks dude. Everything is better now for me too but don't skimp and use that 2 prong bandaid dude!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

manicstarseed

Quote from: IamWILSON on November 19, 2011, 08:02:10 PM

Wow, no wonder I am clueless about the issue. I have always used a single power strip for my rig. It seemed like a good idea to me but now I know this is critical. I may step up to a better quality conditioner.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

manicstarseed

Also, one clarifying point, when I read "isolated power strip" I am understanding it to be a singular, grounded strip, correct? Is there  another product I need to consider?
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

fulltone1989

Quote from: manicstarseed on November 21, 2011, 12:23:27 AM
Also, one clarifying point, when I read "isolated power strip" I am understanding it to be a singular, grounded strip, correct? Is there  another product I need to consider?

I have an Isolite 8 that I picked up on amazon for really cheap and that does the trick, however there are really nice power units out there such as the Furman Power Factor Pro.

IamWILSON

Yeah I wouldn't use the 2-prong thing too often.  But it's good to know that if your in a pinch you should be alright doing it.  Having a ground fault tester to know that you are grounded through your other gear would be the key to your safety I guess.

Any other random things you guys have learned over the years that can help clean up our tone more?

Happyorange27

Yeah ground loops are basically the biggest problem.  Also there are often grounds that are loose or not connected where you can't see, like in pedals or guitar or amp.  Take a multimeter and look for zero ohms across every possible ground point as possible.  Even try it on you bridge to your cable jack ground.  Everything metal on your guitar should be connected as one big ground.  This ground should also be exactly the same on every freaking ground in your rig.  If there are even just a couple ohm difference then you may have hum.  The true isolators (meaning there are 1 to 1 transformers in there) should be used.

OK you mite like this one guys.  I came across this Brian Brown "isolator".  This is a whole different definition.  He has a signal generator that runs through the rig.  Read here: http://hardtruckers.com/Images/nov061/products/RoadGear/The%20Isolator%20Instructions.pdf

I can't afford this device so I just downloaded a signal generator app on my phone and ran a nice sine wave tone through my rig.  You could use a keyboard with one note held down too.  Anyway wiggle and jiggle all your pedals and stuff while this tone is going through you rig.  This will help you find vulnerable parts of your rig.  If you come across a scratchy sound or cut out, then you can now find that problem easily or shall we say "isolate" the problem.  Again this is a different use of the work isolate.  Anyway i did this and found it to be quite useful.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

That is some great advice happy.  I guess I can even put my guitar on its stand and just strum the strings (although annoying) and keep checking all my connections.  Every once in a while I have an issue with a tubescreamer or my compressor, and get a considerable volume drop.  It rarely happens and then usually rears its ugly head in a rehearsal and it seems like it always fixes itself after stomping on and off the 3 pedals and unplugging/replugging them all in.  Or sometimes I'll switch out a tubescreamer for a backup, but I've never been able to "isolate" the exact problem.  Oddly enough, I have some older cables in that area of my board too, so I bet one of them is the culprit!

Happyorange27

Glad you like Wilson. Again I just found this out after you sparked my latest research topic of the week: NOISE! :)

IamWILSON

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that noise is definitely the #1 culprit when building pedalboards with your mind on achieving better tone.  All effects and what they do and how they sound is all subjective, and to each his own.  But when it comes to noise, any tips we can share from our own experiences can help every member of this board so much. 

So another thing I'm considering, but holding off until I really know more about is buffers.  Any of you guys use them?  How did it affect your signal/tone?  I've been kinda looking at the MXR boost/line driver and it seems like a great idea, but I wonder if I really need it?  How would I know?  Here's some info on it. 

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/manuals/MC401_manual.pdf

I watched an interview video with Bob Bradshaw and he was totally endorsing it, and it makes sense to me, but first I want to get another cable kit and change out all my older cables and shorten some distances of others to see if I can hear a difference in my signal.

manicstarseed

Relating to noise and the quest for unmolested tone.....

I am really considering getting a loop switching system. In another thread, Sour D mentioned the added connections, extra cable, etc... meaning that these are potential points of Tone Sink. I understand that and have the same concerns.

Would a bypass-able unity gain buffer (or standard high quality buffer) be beneficial to build into the looper? Wouldn't a good buffer eliminate the connection/length issues?

One thing I am considering is putting a Unity Gain Buffer  in the second loop slot just to make sure I have  my Wah effects communicating directly with my pickups.

Synthesizer->GR-55

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: manicstarseed on November 21, 2011, 11:11:28 PM

I am really considering getting a loop switching system. In another thread, Sour D mentioned the added connections, extra cable, etc... meaning that these are potential points of Tone Sink. I understand that and have the same concerns.

I don't really get this....

Yes I supposed if all your loops are engaged at once you have more connections, but then your signal is wet anyway and you aren't going to notice the difference over your gain and modulation pedals. Where the loop switcher cuts down on connections is when you are playing clean with all loops bypassed or even using one or two. In that case you are bypassing most of the connectors and cable. Without the switcher you are running through a whole pedal chain....so...I dunno. i still think they are beneficial. And they are huge when it comes to cutting down on the "pedal dance."

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone