Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Brought my guitar and pedalboard. I wanted to try:

Reverse Delay Pedals
Tube Screamers, particularly the Visual Sound Double Trouble
Mesa Express 5:25 Plus
EHX Hum Debugger

They didn't have the Hum Debugger.

I tested the Double Trouble first. Despite being an 808, it wasn't as smooth or natural sounding as my vintage TS9's - not a huge surprise. What was a big surprise was that it was noisier than my vintage TS9s even though it was running on batteries! I don't think the internal noise gate was engaged on either channel, but regardless, it was noisy. It had more volume on tap though and wasn't a terrible TS ultimately - the best aspect was it only requires one 9v supply.

They also suggest I try the Exotic AC Boost. I couldn't really dial in a typical TS tone in the short period of time I spent with it. It was also not super quiet (powered by a battery) and the overdrive texture wasn't too exciting to me. Didn't spend much time with it. It had more dirt on tap and probably more volume than a TS.

They also highly recommended the Suhr Shiba Drive. It was good - got pretty smooth and liquid on leads, but crunchier/grittier on chords. It was more open sounding and feeling, better string separation at the cost of compression that many of us love. It also had more bass content, which I didn't like. It almost reminded me of a cross between a TS and a slightly overdriven Rat, but that is probably a bad comparison.

I asked about the 30th Anniversary TS9 and they said its not worth trying since I had two vintage TS9s on my board, lol.

As far as Reverse Delay pedals, they had the Boss DD20, TC Electronic Flashback and Line6 Echopark. They all sucked. The Line6 sucked from the start - the footswitch is terrible and the temp light does this double blink thing that doesn't help anyone out. Basically I wanted to dial in a single repeat, 50/50 to 100% wet mix, very low tempo/speed. None of them could do a single repeat so I ended up with a funky (not in a good way) tremolo going on.

The Mesa Express 5:25+ was damn impressive though! It sounded great, especially in the 5w and 25w setting. The 15w setting didn't grab me too much. The GEQ is sweet, similar to my MKIII but not quite as powerful, which makes dialing in a bad sound less likely (as graphic EQ's can be easy to mess up). I compared the GEQ with my MXR 6 Band and definitely like the GEQ more - just more natural sounding, plus it saves pedalboard space. There is also a solo boost function on the Express - I had to crank it to get a boost, but definitely a nice feature that gives you the option of a midboost via the GEQ or a flat volume boost. I only used the clean channel and it was pretty sweet - tons of headroom as you would expect from Mesa. The tone knobs were very usable and great tones across their sweep. I found it much easier to dial in than my Mark III, where the tone knobs are a bit more finicky and all the knobs seem more tied together; if you adjust the volume, your tone changes. I still love my MKIII, and my SFDR is awesome, but lower headroom without an effect loop is a bummer, not to mention that there is only one EQ setting I use (bass and treble at minimum, mid at max). The DR's reverb kicks anythings ass, which I would miss if I sold it and the larger cabinet on the DR makes the amp sound more spacious. In the end, I want that damn 5:25+!

I am going back next Friday to try the Hum Debugger. I have a bunch of gear to sell and I need to decide if I want the 5:25+ for my lower wattage amp or to stick with the DR - I would have to sell the DR to get the Mesa.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Went back today to try out a Digiverb for reverse reverb and they didn't have it. But I did get to play the 5:25+ for another hour and a half. I also played a 5:50+, which I didn't like as much, not sure if it was just the C90 compared to the Mesa V30 (V30 is in the 5:25+) or the 6L6's.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Dude I played a 5:25 two weeks ago and it was the shit!  Me want.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

I know - werkin' a huge gear purge right now. Although I set myself back buying a Microverb and TB Looper.

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Yessir - that helps, but not enough. Especially since I didn't have a paying job last year (had to work for free for school credit, still do, but get a little money now).

Stecks

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 03, 2013, 07:44:33 PM
Yessir - that helps, but not enough. Especially since I didn't have a paying job last year (had to work for free for school credit, still do, but get a little money now).

Someone needs to watch Deuce Bigalow.  I want a small-wattage amp, as we've talked about ad nauseam.  My twin is nice but with these Cleveland winters, its not the most practical. 
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

fulltone1989

Pulling the outer two 6L6's will make it's wattage half that, however no less heavy. 71 Twins are pretty desirable, why not try CL for a Princeton or something?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

I've thought about that, but the issue really is the mass of the darn thing.  Don't get me wrong, I freakin' LOVE the amp, but its a bit much to lug around at times - especially at clubs/bars/houses in which I have to carry it up or down stairs.  Once I get some more $ I'll be looking at something more portable.  I've thought about the Princeton and the newer Mesa combos.  I'll be playing on a Blues jr tonight which I also like.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ