Main Menu

Compressors?

Started by the_great_lemon, December 22, 2011, 08:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_great_lemon

Scooped up that Ross last week, so I'm still figuring out how to play with a more compressed signal... In fact, the reason why I was hesitant at first about getting a compressor was because of the amazing open and dynamic sound the Sweet Honey provides.  Any one in the market for a transparent and smooth OD, it's pretty much perfect.  It's a little bright with the Focus knob past 11:30-12.  Btw, anyone know what the deal is with the BJF design thing?  I've seen some pictures of the (original?) BJF Sweet Honeys on TGP, and I've always wondered.  Did Mad Professor get the rights to the circuit or something? anyway, ramble over...

The butt simple settings I brought up when I first plugged the compressor in (sus. 9:30 level 12:00) have fared me so well that I have barely moved them.  Totally smooths out turning on either drive pedal and adds epic sustainnnnnnnnnnn, and is damn quiet for a 30+ year old box. Also improves the already great wah: makes it pop really well.  Loving the change, but I've been looking into getting a 4 loop switcher (w/ tuner out) from loop-master because of the tone suck when it's off. 
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Happyorange27

Why would you ever want to turn it off?  ;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

the_great_lemon

Hey sour, finally found that thread you mentioned where Walker reviewed a bunch of different comps.  There was a lot of great information in there, must have been one hell of a time!  Anyone that doesn't know much about compressors in general should give it a look.  (its called "Ross Mods" i think....)

Still loving the new Ross too.  I can use the Output to control the overall level of my board which is great because I can totally isolate my pedals from the BJs input.  Now that I got my fancy new Dunlop reissue Adamas in the mail, all my dynamics are back because I have total control.  I had been using Red Jazz IIIs for a while now, but this makes it a challenge to get every note clean a perty, which will help my technique tremendously.

Ohh and I'll try to remember to take a picture of my board while my friends script phase 90 is taking up some space....
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

picture_of_nectar

Script phase 90 is sooo good. Could be a contender for MVP on my board.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

the_great_lemon

is yours the one with the led installed from the factory, or the handwired one? My friends is the former and its not impressing me too much

picture_of_nectar

I think the led in mine was installed by Analogman. It was modded by him, not sure exactly what he did besides that.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

the_great_lemon

I'm looking to pick up a backup of sorts for my Ross...I was hoping to pick it up at GC this weekend. Anyone played an MXR Custom Comp or Script Dyna-Comp? Any other suggestions? Thanks guys  8)

Brian27

The MXR Custom Comp is great.

Heady Jam Fan

As far as Ross type comps go, I have really been enjoying my Retro Sonic. It seems to have more headroom than others that I tried, its on the gentler side of compression of the those others as well which makes it easier to dial in (still has plenty on tap) and it seems to be voiced slightly sweeter, which is nice as some Ross comps can be pretty dark sounding.

Pigtronix wants me to try their comp, it seems more tonally transparent which I am not sure if I like - I want some bass roll off, but it might have more sustain and headroom, plus it apparently works great with volume knob work. It needs 12-20v though, so on my pedalboard, I would probably run it with a Godlyke voltage doubler.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

Quote from: the_great_lemon on April 06, 2012, 12:05:50 AM
I'm looking to pick up a backup of sorts for my Ross...I was hoping to pick it up at GC this weekend. Anyone played an MXR Custom Comp or Script Dyna-Comp? Any other suggestions? Thanks guys  8)

Lemon, how much are you looking to spend on your backup Comp?   PS, not sure if you saw, but SourD procured a '78 Ross for me a few weeks back so now I finally have one of my very own!  Psyched with it - sounds great. 

Though SourD, I will say that I think there is a differnce in my Ross as opposed to your Grey Ross that you let me demo.  I liked yours better I think....do you know if there are any differences between the two (chips, etc.?)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

the_great_lemon

Trying to keep it under $150.  I'll try to head to the evil GC tomorrow and check out the MXR Custom Comp.

And yes Walker, I did see that! Congrats and welcome to the club  ;D  Just curious, how do you like it in comparison to your Keeley? Does the lack of the two extra knobs bother you at all?

@ Heady: Is that pigtronix comp they want you to try the Philosophers tone?  The PGS demos sounded perty with that one!

Heady Jam Fan

Yep, they were really selling me on it. They wanted me to switch from 2TS9s>Ross to Fat Drive>Philosopher's Tone (or at least TS's and the PT). I really like the bass-role-off of the TS's and Ross though and I think both of Pigtronix's pedals preserve the bass more: the Artinger is warm and so is my Bassman.

I mentioned some of this in my volume pedal thread, but at least one or two of those guys over there are Phish fans, love Trey's tone (don't try to copy it though), but he said he thinks it is a terrible way to go about it. I have yet to see a Phish inspired rig with either of those pedals to my knowledge though.

I would consider trying one or both of those pedals if they had a bass tone control, but I have the bass completely off on my amp, so I can't really pull it back any more if I switch to gear that has more low end. Although my Artinger sounds great straight into the amp (which ought to have more bass than when using a TS and Ross). But I digress.

If anyone has more experience, I would love to hear!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

manicstarseed

I really enjoy the Barber Tone Press. $159 It has a blend knob that really lets you dial in your dynamics.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

sour d

Quote from: Walker done done on April 06, 2012, 10:00:49 AM
Though SourD, I will say that I think there is a differnce in my Ross as opposed to your Grey Ross that you let me demo.  I liked yours better I think....do you know if there are any differences between the two (chips, etc.?)
No difference. Mine was modded to be true bypass and has an l.e.d. added but neither of those mods would make a difference. True bypass is not needed for me because the pedal is always on.The same tantalum caps. The same chip. I think the only difference is that yours has not been used very much. Like someone bought it and stored it in a closet for 34 years. Tell your wife I recommend that you play through it for at least 6 hours a day for the next couple months. Let those component values start to drift slightly. All joking aside I do believe that there is somthing to that. The aging process seems to add "mojo" to gear. I usually prefer older pedals. Early 80's ts9's, ross comps, late 70's-early 80's mxr pedals, which leads me to my favorite low cost ross backup, the early 80's block logo dynacomps can be had for less than $100 most of the time and they sound great. The ones with no l.e.d. and battery power only. Ross pedals were mxr copies remember.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

Since I also recently bought a Ross Comp I took apart my old (late 90s as indicated on the board) Dynacomp. On the other side of the circuit board there was a little trim pot (not accessible unless you literally disassemble the whole thing). I turned it to the left about a 16th of an inch or so and put it back together. For what its worth it made a huge improvement. The basic non script red Dynacomps are pretty much worthless resale wise so I didn't care much. But as a backup it would work fine and they are really cheap. I grabbed mine for $25 at a local store. Just missing a single screw on the back. Otherwise flawless.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux