harsh buzz coming from amp

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, December 24, 2009, 07:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

So im stayin at my parents house for a couple of days during the holiday and i brought all my stuff with me.  When i plugged everything up and turned the amp on i got a really harsh constant buzz.  I unplugged everything and when theres nothing plugged into the amp the buzz is not present.  However, when i plugged in one cable not plugged into anything but the amp, the buzz came back.  I tried multiple cables and the buzz was present with all of them.  I also plugged the amp into different outlets throughout the house and it did not eliminate the buzz. Can anybody help?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Poster

the wiring in your parents old house wasnt intended to be used with amplifiers.

i recommend using a power conditioner at all times when using a tube amp.

any spikes of power could fry your equipment without one.

but you may just simply have a bad preamp tube. be sure to always let your amp cool before moving it around! that can cause lots of problems.

but you would probably need a real electrician and a few grand to make the power in that house amp friendly.

YouEnjoyMyReba

ok thanks poster! merry christmas!
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Poster

cactuskeeb

"harsh buzz" = the intoxicating effects of drinking 4oz of Robotussin, which accompanies and tends to make unbearable the main, hallucinatory state of affairs for the individual who partook.     

Poster

YouEnjoyMyReba

jonb52578

wonder if that humdebugger thing from electro harmonix would be of any sort of remedy?
talking about music is like dancing about architecture

Poster

nah its electrical hum. he said he was at his parents for holiday. 99.9 percent sure its the electrical. I remember in Vermont, those apartments everybody rented were always in these gnarly ancient houses. lights would dim, breakers would jump, etc it was kinda like that part when Dr. Frankenstein flips the switch and all hell breaks loose

YouEnjoyMyReba

It was the house.  Power conditioner cleaned it up significantly

Poster

awesome glad that worked! cheers mang  8)